Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Slack Key Uke Survey
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  06:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Aloha All,

I'm thinking about adding a new uke to the family. When it comes to slack key 'ukulele, I'm curious about what body types (soprano, concert, tenor, etc.) string set-ups (high-G, low-G) and what tunings people prefer. Mahalo for your input.

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi pops - tenor, low G, standard tuning for me!
i've seen kevin brown slack down the high A string to give him the uke equivalent of taropatch or drop C (they have the same top four strings), and it sounds great.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  07:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Keith,

I got to play with Kevin and Sheldon about a month ago (boy, was I in heaven!). They play so well I think they'd make a garbage can sound great! Sheldon's baritone was tuned to taropatch (I think) and I think I read on Ken Potts website that he stringed Sheldon's baritone with tenor strings). Thanks, again!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2004 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Right, when Keith took me to Waihe`e Sheldon played a bari tuned to low g tenor pitch then slacked to taropatch.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  3:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Aloha all
I was just thinking to change my bari to a tenor strings and and slack to taro, how it sounds ?
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:31:25 AM  Show Profile
I loved the way Sheldon's uke played and sounded.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  08:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pops,

Ha ha. My father's nickname around the shop is "Pops." Anyway, my uncle tunes his concerts and tenors up on the "a" string to "c." So, he has a "c" chord sounding on the open strings. I can't use his style of tuning, but it sounds great when he plays.

Aloha,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Paul,

I'll try it, it sounds like a cool idea! Mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka!
Go to Top of Page

noel-lele
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  06:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit noel-lele's Homepage
On a concert or tenor uke, what are the notes for taro patch tuning? Is there any tab around to help learn to play slack uke?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  09:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
On a concert or tenor uke, what are the notes for taro patch tuning? Is there any tab around to help learn to play slack uke?

Getting to Taro Patch is a simple matter -- just drop your 1st string from A to G. You'd be in a "C" taropatch tuning. (Just like G taro --- if you capo your guitar on the 5th fret and ignored the bottom two strings.) So pitches are: G-C-E-G. Either reentrant tuning (high 4th string G) or the low G will work... low G works better to some ears.

As it stands, you can look at the standard G-C-E-A tuning as either a "C sixth" tuning -- similar to the G sixth tuning Cindy Combs uses for slack key guitar; or look at iit as an F whaine tuning similar to Keola's C. (Confused yet????)

There are some books out there on slack key uke published in Hawaii by Heeday Kimura -- I've not had much experience with them. I've seen 'em advertised on various uke sites.

But -- ta dah!!! -- I'm hoping to deliver my new book to my publisher withing the week. It's got tons of slack style arrangements. Look for it in about six months, from mighty Mel Bay publications.

And yes, Noel, that's what I'll be teaching next month deep in the heart of Texas.

For the record, I use the reentrant tuning. cuz otherwise Byron Yasui won't borrow my axe..... I keep hoping that some of that good juju will stick.

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 01/15/2005 09:08:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  09:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Heeday has 22+ page booklet called "Heeday Kimura's How to Play Slack Key Ukulele." It gives you the basics, including tuning and a start for strumming Hilo Hanakahi, Sase, Hiilawe, Meleana E, what he calls an Old Slack Key Pattern. He also touches on playing chimes and a solo of Kaneohe. I find it a good intro for slack key ukulele.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  10:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Hey Mark,
I have had your book for about 5 or 6 years now. Listened to the CD once and put it on the shelf where it has been since. After meeting Fran Guidry and Patrick Landeza I hope to one day make the time to start experimenting with slack key guitar.
Regards,
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Well Dominic -- when I finish the new one you can have two up there on the shelf. ;-}

Seriously, slack key is big fun. I've seen your ukulele site, so I have an idea of what you can do. You'd pick it up in no time.

cheers,

m
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  12:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Dominic,

Check out Patrick Landez's Slack Key lesson that on www.acousticguitar.com. Although I am not a guitar player I reviewed the lesson and thought that it was done quite well. He breaks the Slack Key up into learnable sections and then pulls it all together to finish the lesson. In addition, he lets you hear how it should sound at both regular and slow speed. If his teaching DVD "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Made Easy with Patrick Landeza" is similar to this lesson then it should be a winner.

Regards

Philip
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Hi Philip,
I think I printed that out a while back. Not quite sure what I did with it now.

BTW, did you get my last email regarding your party? Are you still heading to Sac?
D

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

koolkatkiwi
Aloha

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit koolkatkiwi's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sandman

Heeday has 22+ page booklet called "Heeday Kimura's How to Play Slack Key Ukulele."

Hi - my name is Kath, I live in NZ, and this is my first post. My husband and I have both been recently bitten by the uke bug. I'd love to try slack-key uke, but don't know where to start. Sandy, can you tell me where I could get this booklet?

Cheers, Kath

http://www.billkath.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000