Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Makaha Sons Concert San Diego
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bingo
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Tula Productions presented The Makaha Sons and Hookena who put on a great show. Lively a lot of laughs and great music. We certainly got our monies worth on that.

Unfortunately can't say the same for the dinner and entertainment before the show. The dinner was held outside and it was COLD out there. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to serve a salad, an entree and a desert. All COLD. Besides my shakeing Tula announced she knew it was cold but "Thats To Bad" The entertainment was a drag queen dressed in a hula skirt who was totally obnoxious from the first words spoken which was "I'm a wahinee with a wennie.

Just my opinion but buy the show ticket and save yourself some money.

Edited by - Bingo on 12/16/2004 2:39:12 PM

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  06:32:47 AM  Show Profile
Bingo,
I was waiting for someone else to open this topic.
You are right on. The Sons and Ho`okena are truly class acts. The concert was great; the dinner and "show" was not only a disaster, but insulting. She has lowered the proverbial bar. One positive note from the cold weather was that I got to hang around the coffee machine with John K. and Moon from the Sons and Glenn Smith from Ho`okena who were all seeking some warmth. Her Makaha Sons shows have always been characterized by zany behavior, late starts, etc. Other than the large draw, I can't imagine why the Sons put up with her. I know that there are other Hawaiian performers who won't have anything to do with her.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  08:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your postings guys. I have bought tickets w/ dinner to both Keola's and HAPA's concerts so I immediately sent on a message to her saying I wanted my money back for the dinners unless plans were very different. The dinners will be in the dining room of the theater, and the performers will be halau. I told her I thought what you described I would expect in Key West, not at a family performance of good Hawai'ian music. Hopefully it won't happen again.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  09:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Wow.
True, the VIP dinner/show was bad. Although I didn't get the "VIP" package, I did observe the cold masses. But the crowd was a hardy one and people seemed to be socializing okay.
Working outdoor space heaters & hot food would of lessened the impact of the cold weather.
My only displeasure was in the concert hall itself. Many people, (including me) where seated in areas where the view was obstructed by colums or speakers, even people standing to get a better view. For some unexplainable reason the group of ladies behind us keep talking loudly during the whole show. The last thing they seemed to be there for was the concert itself. For me, this was the only one small, bad element I've ever experienced with a Tula production.
In defense of Tula she does provide us with the opportunity to see Hawaiian performers (such as Makaha Sons') so I'm very grateful for that.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Tula
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  9:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tula's Homepage
I as much as you was disappointed with the the Ramada Inn. This is by no means an excuse. The dinner when presented to us (4 of us) was very good. I was assured there would be 4 heaters on the patio that would be working - and they were not. The ball room was not set up as anticipated and we had to reset the room ourselves. Needless to say I will not be doing another hotel show. Theatres only from now on. We did what we had to to to make it work. Only theatres from now one. And as for Tootie. I have always found her to be very entertaining, and I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy her. I had a meeting with my staff and they thought it was a great idea. On another note. I didn't ever say "it was too bad" about it being cold. I take pride in making my customers comfortable and take pride in the 7 consistent years and over 20 concerts I have promoted. 7 of which were Makaha Sons. I believe my record speaks for itself. I am the only Native Hawaiian promoting Hawaiian concerts in San Diego. E kala mai if I seem defensive. But saying that it took 2 hrs and 45 mins to serve a salad was an exageration. As for artists not wanting to work with me, there are some artists that I chose not to work with as well. This is not an easy endeavor and my staff works very hard. I appreciate each person that comes to these shows because ultimately it is about the music and my love of my culture that keeps me doing this. Keola and Hapa's VIP dinner will be indoors, and will a buffet catered by the Theatre. Local Halau will be performing during dinner. Mahalo for your input, all is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to email me at tulaproductions @ yahoo.com. Mele Kalikimaka a me malamapono, Tula

Tula
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000