Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Beamer, Keawe, Yeaton in San Diego
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  05:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
Last night, many of us in San Diego were treated to a great concert by Uncle Keola, John Keawe, and Chris Yeaton. It was a great night of music, and the fellas did not disappoint.
I had seen Keola years before, and could not appreciate his musical genius then. I am happy now, with some years of slack key under my belt, to have really taken it all in last night. He was doing some really neat things with his guitar that I never saw before. I thought Barry Flannigan was very innovative, so too was Keola in a different way. His touch was soft but he made his music boom.
Chris Yeaton opened up and played super also. It was my first time seeing him and he was excellent, he could play and sing. Chatting with him after the show I was impressed by his humbleness.
I was looking forward to seeing, listening, and meeting John Keawe. Dusty turned me on to his music last year and I really loved his style, and sound. I was not disappointed by the man, and his music.
They all provided a very dreamy nght of slack key, and their interaction with eachother on stage was super. If any of you haven't seen these three together, do so, there's a lot rich music to take in.
Many thanks to Tula for putting together another great concert & venue.
Many S.D.S.K.S members were in attendence last night as well. Chunky-Monkey, Don, Bruce, Dusty, (minus the bunny slippers), Mike, Brudda Ken, Auntie Nancy, and others.
Andy you missed a good one, but no worries, when you come over to see us we'll put on a very good Kanikapila-palooza!! ha.
....don't forget da bunny slippas.
I wonder if I could borrow Karl's up in Alaska, I think his are made from some big grizzly! (just kidding Karl)
pau,
-slkho

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:17:42 AM  Show Profile
aloha all -
Last night was indeed unreal in the enjoyment, fun and friendliness, especially joining hands and singing at the end. The cutest smile goes to Uncle John - he'd look adorable in bunny slippers, but I think they folks are looking forward to going home to Hawai'i. I know Keola's how to learn books were sold out, also several folks found out about camp and will most likely show up. And I sure wish the concerts were up here - 2:30 is a hard time to arrive home... I spent a lot of hours on the freeways and it was worth it.
mahalo to all who came, Tula who made it possible, and the Hawai'i folks who would venture to the Mainland in winter for our enjoyment. I can't imagine that they would do that again.....
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:21:00 AM  Show Profile
That new (baby) guitar that John Keawe played was a real gem. Becasue the bass lines didn't boom as much as his (full size mamma) the tones he produced with that little guy had much more color and complexity. Kind of like a Leroy Nieman painting -- so much color up close that it creates a complex picture sound in the audience. John said afterward that he had just picked up that guitar before they left on this tour. I think he said it was made by Anthony Lake. It has the same wide nut size as his other Gomes guitar but the scale length is shorter (13 frets to the body). I wonder how much projection it has when not amplified. . . hmmmm.

-btw- Didn't know this before but John told me he lived in San Diego when he was in the Navy and worked on North Island -- so coming here was kind of a return to a familiar place to him. Much warmer than the previous stops on their tour. . . I loved that one liner from him -- The Hawaiian version of long underwear is . . boxer shorts.

You are right about Chris. He was a very humble performer on stage recognizing his teachers but holding his own. It was a pleasure to talk to him during the intermission and at the CD-signing afterward. I bought his CD, Kikaha Malie and have been listening to it all morning. You all will really enjoy this one! His liner notes give some more insight into him as a man as well. Unfortunately, my favorite song he played, I think he titled it "Yosemite" is not on this CD. He had a really unique way of sliding and moving his bass lines behind the melody that created a sense of the huge rock structures you see when visiting the valley.

And Keola, . . was Keola . . pure Nahenahe! Did anyone get to ask him when his new CD with R. Carlos nakai is coming out?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Dennis Lake's ukuleles and guitars can be found at http://www.konaweb.com/mahina/ You're right, that's a sweet little guitar.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  2:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Mika ele sez:
quote:
Unfortunately, my favorite song he played, I think he titled it "Yosemite" is not on this CD.

It's there, Mike - track 11. It's called Skyward Granite.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile
OK

I must have got his title wrong at the concert (that's what too many years in the steam plant engineering holds of ships does for you)

Just listened -- you are right. It is the same song.
You da man

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  11:37:41 AM  Show Profile
what I'd like to know is what's the story behind Chris's song "Puka Pants"? the times we've all had puka pants is from sliding down the waterfalls.......
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  11:51:33 AM  Show Profile
Are you sure that's not a Keola Beamer song that Chris played? Keola gave us TAB for a song by that name a few years back.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  12:08:24 PM  Show Profile
He said it was an Aloha Music Camp song.

But would like to know the story behind the song anyway

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  1:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Chris didn't say a whole lot... kinda shy? but he played this song, just saying the title. It may very well be Keola's song. I'd still love to know the story behind it. Maybe one of you guys remembers it? Also, he said he'll be at Camp this summer, but I didn't see him on the roster. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing him again!
mahalo!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  2:55:41 PM  Show Profile
What roster are you talking about? He's not one of the teachers, he's a camper like the rest of us.

I learned this song about four years ago. Keola didn't talk story about it. Maybe you can go to his website and email him.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  10:13:17 PM  Show Profile
'ey dave -
thanks - I guess since he was performing on stage, I thought he'd be a teacher. Roster - listing on aloha camp website.
Still wanna know about those puka pants!! Inquiring minds go in strange places...
aloha!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Is it this old song?
http://www.geocities.com/cherisenichole/puka.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria,

I don't know if that's the song or not. The TAB I have from Keola has his name as the author and not the arranger. I'll zip an email off to Donley, who is road managing him right now, and see if we can find out.

Dave

PS: I just got a note back from Donley. He says he'll ask Keola.

Pau

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 02/03/2005 10:14:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  12:43:54 PM  Show Profile
thanks Auntie Maria and Dave -
not sure I'd know it... will be nice to hear from the source.
This song sounds like one from 50 or 60 yrs ago - not even that someone would write now.
mahalo!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  06:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Well everyone, it seems it's not the song the Auntie Maria posted. The reply I got from Donley, through Keola makes this even more mysterious. As with all songs hawaiian there are many levels of meaning:

quote:
I think this one will have to stay shrouded in the mists of Mauna Kea.....

Maybe we can pry it out of him on Moloka`i this summer.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000