Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 finger picks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  07:26:27 AM  Show Profile
slackkeymike sez:
quote:
My biggest complaint about these picks is the lost of tactile information...my fingers love and interpret the strings for me.

With Alaska Piks you don't lose the tactile information. It just feels like strong fingernails (to me).

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  2:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Now that is an interesting pick!!

http://www.alaskapik.com/

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:28:43 PM  Show Profile
But if you wear the Alask Piks too long da fingas turn BLUE!

BE a pupule KANE and get acrylic nails glued on -- wahines love it (NOT!)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kevin green
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  03:22:53 AM  Show Profile
Mike, one other thing to think about is string quality. I play with calloused finger pads only, and one thing that will surely kill brightness is worn strings, (especially the steel ones) Keep pressin'

kevin w green
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Let me toss another question into this very enlightening thread. I know Willie Nelson uses a "regular" pick on his classical guitar (resulting in the famous hole in "Trigger"). Have any of you had experience with using thumb or finger picks on a classical? The classical nahenahe sound is great but I wonder if a pick would create a louder, brighter sound. My nails are pretty good for an old guy but they seem to go in cycles of growth, somewhat like a tree, and depending on the season they are prone to chip, split, and not renew. Picks might be an answer?
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile
I use the same picks on nylon and steel - Alaska Piks (plastic ones) on index & middle fingers and a Johnson thumbpick. I don't play my nylon string guitar very often anymore. It's a 12 fret, which doesn't work as well for me.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Dusty:
Mahalo for your insights; I think I will try your ideas on my La Patrie Collection.
Malama pono,
Sandy

Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  6:25:46 PM  Show Profile
What does that mean "its a 12 fret"? Sure is a pretty guitar...who makes it? Is it for sale?

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 03/20/2005 6:28:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  1:39:56 PM  Show Profile
It's a Martin 0016c from about 1964. I bought it new. "12 fret" means that it (like most classical guitars) has only 12 frets clear of the body. Most steel string acoustics have 14 frets clear of the body. Yes, there are exceptions. It's not presently for sale but who knows what the future will bring.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I will take a closer look at the new Taylors and see if they handle that a bit better.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ki Hoalu Joe
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I can create a lot more volume using fingerpicks (including thumbpick) vs. fingers or nails. Fingerpicks also reach in between the strings, which increases playing speed - at least for me. I use National white plastic, size Small because I have small hands and the Small size thumbpick has some flexibility. I wear them at an angle as described in an earlier posting in this thread, so that the picks contact the strings on the pick's face instead of an edge. I adjust them so the end of each fingerpick extends about 1/8 inch past the end of the finger. The only downside to fingerpicks for me is the annoying "click" they make when contacting the strings. This isn't obvious when playing loud or fast, but it can be a nuisance at low volume. Does anyone have a remedy?
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
ear muffs?
how about adjusting them an 1/8 inch ABOVE the end of the finger?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  5:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Just returned from Zihuatanejo (great way to recover from surgery) and decided to try a thumbpick. I attached a Dunlop Zookie to my right thumb and attempted to wrap my puffy and painful and still stiff and partially numb left hand around my tenor uke. While recovery from my third Dupuytren's Disease operation (no flowers, please) ain't no fun you friends really are spot on! Either I am exceptionally ham handed or thumbpicks have made my thunky playing attempts louder than I could have imagined.
Tomorrow, THE WORLD! Or at least my classical. It'll be a stretch but at least the thumbpick will make my errors more apparent, both to me (who knows many of them first anyway, but not necessarily how to best correct them) and to those unfortunate enough to be around me.
Mahalo for the ideas,
Sandy

Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  06:00:32 AM  Show Profile
As far as picks go, I've found Dunlop Brass picks work well. They come in guages, are softer than steel thus less noise. I bend them over the tips of my fingers (ala Earl Scruggs) so I have good tactile sensation. My thumbpick is a Dobro clear with the point filed off from the bottomto a roundish point. It took about 2-3 weeks to get used to them, like playing on stilts. I still play bare fingered, but for volume, clarity and speed, picks rule. The brass picks bend after repeated contact with steel strings, but can easily be reshaped. I like their softer sound--much less "click" than steel.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  1:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Finally relocated this thread!

Just bought some alaska picks from a local dealer. I really did not want to order them on line because of their price... but I got to try them out. Bought 3 for the first three fingers. Have not filed them...but first use indicates that you really do maintain a tactile sense...and they are fairly easy to get used to. Also sound great!

More experminting is needed...

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000