Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 New KoAloha 6-string
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile
When the lucky buyer finally wears out his strings, where can new ones be purchased, what sizes, especially the basses?

I have a short scale guitar, not uke short, and it's a problem for me to find suitable nylon strings. Here, the problem may just be with finding suitable wound strings.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile
The nice thing about the D-VI is that it uses a regular nylon guitar set. I mounted D'darrio's Pro Arte line on Daniel's. Since the uke is tuned higher on a shorter scale, the tension worked out perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  05:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I just ordered mine last week. Can't wait!

Don't worry Paul, I won't be calling you every day.

By the way, is it ready yet?

Doug

Island Legends, LLC
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  10:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Uncle George asked me to play his little guitar while he was playing my guitar (Taropatch capoed on the 5th fret, if my memory is correct), during a lesson. He said just play it as I would play in Taropatch. It was a lot of fun, but takes some getting used to. For some reason the dots on his little guitar are not in the normal spaces, plus the neck is very thin. If a person can afford to own several instruments, it's a great thing to have & I like the portability. I don't know how long he's had it, but he said he's still adjusting to it.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  10:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Since I can't get to California this weekend...and I was tempted...
would someone care to check on the concert pitches that Daniel and George are using...I'm still thinkin that the taropatch and kiauaea references are the relationships...not necessarily set up in open G?
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  6:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Daniel and George are using relative taro patch and kilauea tunings. The D-VI is tuned to ADGCEA from the shop. The "taro patch" and "kilauea" tunings that they use are 4 steps up from a guitar.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Since I can't get to California this weekend...and I was tempted...
would someone care to check on the concert pitches that Daniel and George are using...I'm still thinkin that the taropatch and kiauaea references are the relationships...not necessarily set up in open G?

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  8:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Roger, everything up a perfect 4th...
Daniel also confirmed he was in Kilauea, but up a P4...

Now to sell an extra violin and get my hands on the D6.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  10:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Can't fool me! It's not an ukulele, it's a small koa guitar.
Akamai Okole

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  08:03:22 AM  Show Profile
My new D-VI is here! My new D-VI is here!
(that sounds a little like Steve Martin in 'The Jerk' )

Will post pictures of the construction process when I figure out how.

I was most pleasantly surprised at the volume and tone. I had imagined a sound similar to my Taylor nylon string with a capo at the fifth fret but my D-VI sounds so much clearer and crisp. It is not a guitar sound. It is not a ukulele sound -- it is WAY BETTER!

I was quickly able to tune it to C-Taro Patch and play much of my ki ho'alu repertoire. I pulled out my Ozzie Kotani Christmas music, plugged the D-VI into my Carvin amplifier at neutral, and fell in love with the music. The bass is just right, the trebles sing, and the highs punch through with singing melody lines. Many of the songs I have difficulty with on the guitar due to long finger stretches are now easy. I am amazed at how rich and complex the ukulele can sound with just two and three note chords. Sometimes I feel awkward on my KoAloha Tenor with my right hand fingers and thumb looking for the missing two strings so I shift to rhythm strums and straight chords. With the D-VI, both hands feel at home. The fretboard is just the right width, the action is perfect. So Nahenahe!

All of you waiting in line for your D-VI . . it is WELL WORTH THE WAIT!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Boost
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  6:53:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:

All of you waiting in line for your D-VI . . it is WELL WORTH THE WAIT!

Hi, just curious how long was the wait? did you order it from the factory? just wondering who sells it and how much? thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Boost,
Call KoAloha Ukulele and talk to Paul Okami. He is listed here on Taro Patch as "KoAloha". The D-VI is considered a custom order from the factory. My order was in line behind some of the professional players ordering one and had some unique requests so my order took much longer than normal. You should expect a few months. The price will vary depending on what features you want (binding, pickup, special fretboard, etc.) but expect to pay a little more than their Tenor Ukulele. The web site for KoAloha Ukulele is:
http://www.koalohaukulele.com/
Tell Paul I said Aloha!

Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Boost,
I'm in line as well (probably another 4 months to go)...I also had KoAloha make me a custom uke too...Paul and team do a great job, so it's definitely worth the wait. I love my uke. You can also buy a standard D-VI (non-custom) from elderly (www.elderly.com). However, they have a backorder situation, but they do sell them. Last time I chatted with Paul (a couple months ago), he said that there was a production run in progress and elderly was on the list to receive some. So, the wait might not be too much longer. As for price from elderly, if you go to their site, they will send you an automated email quote. Hope that helps.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  3:08:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
hi mike,

EJ44 Pro-Arte Extra Hard Tension is what i use. paul can you clarify what worth strings we use? i dunno.

d

-------
Daniel,
Can you be a little more specific? From Worth, since you are only using the top three I assume you use the "CH" set? And for D'Addario, which from below are you using?
---------
The types currently available in the SPECIAL Clear Worth Strings are....
CH - Harder Feel & Clean Crisp Sound
CH-LG - Harder Feel & Clean Crisp Sound LOW-G CH-LGHD - Harder Feel & Clean Crisp Sound LOW-G Harder 4th String CH-LGEX - Harder Feel & Clean Crisp Sound LOW-G Extra Hard 4th String
---
D'Addario Classical strings
EJ44 Pro-Arte Extra Hard Tension
J48 Pro-Arte 80-20 Hard Tension
EJ46 Pro-Arte Hard Tension
EJ44C Pro-Arte Composite Extra Hard Tension EJ44LP Pro-Arte Composite Ex Hard/Polished EJ46C Pro-Arte Composite Hard Tension EJ46LP Pro-Arte Composite Hard/Polished
EXP44 EXP Classical Extra Hard Tension
EXP46 EXP Classical Hard Tension
Malama Pono,
Mike

quote:
hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know about this awesome string combination for the D-VI. great highs and deep lows!

heavy tension worth strings on 3 highest strings

heavy tension d'addario classical strings on 3 wound (low) strings

been using it to record the second ukuleles in paradise cd with herb jr.
and it's way better than the set of normal tension d'addario classical strings i had on there before.

please pass the word on to anyone that might have a D-VI. Thanks!

aloha,
daniel

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000