Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Never played guitar--can I start with ki ho 'alu?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I love my little ukulele, but Eldest Son graduated from college and brought back home a Baby Taylor guitar that is just sitting doing nothing these days. I've never played a guitar (or any instrument other than my simple ukulele strumming) but I'm thinking that perhaps I could learn to play guitar, slack key from the beginning.

Is this practical? Do the instructional materials assume most folks are moving on to ki ho 'alu from "regular" playing or will there be really, really basic instruction that I can understand without any previous guitar experience? Any suggestions on the instruction? I like the idea of Keola Beamer's online lessons, but I don't have a computer at home, only at the office so it won't work for my free time...

Has anyone else *started* with ki ho 'alu? Any tips or suggestions? I already listen to lots of Hawaiian and slack key music, but I'm frankly not musical at all so the listening needs to be augmented with some practical instruction and a curriculum I think...

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you can most definitely start with Open G (Taro Patch) to learn how to play the guitar. In fact, it is the way the Suzuki guitar method starts keiki playing the guitar - here in CT, no less. Also, my dear wife Sarah can play *nothing* in so-called "standard" tuning, and is a super guitar player (you can ask others who are not as biased as I am). I, too, only know so-called "alternate" tunings and, although I have no talent and have ripped hand tendons,I manage to please myself with the sounds I make.

As for instructional materials, do a simple search or browse in the appropriate section of this site. My suggestion is to get Ron Loo's books/tapes or Ozzie's Book/CD AND MOST DEFINITELY, Keoki Kahumoku's instructional *DVD*.

Play on...

...Reid

Just do it, as the Chunk has said.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/28/2005 3:29:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Of course! Because most guitarists learn chord shapes, standard tuning doesn't lend itself to picking out melodies while playing a song, while slack key is just that.
Once you have a grasp of bass plucking and barring, you're playing a song!
And it's a lot like an uke with bass strings. And hopefully one of the TP.net ohana will help you get started.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  3:06:23 PM  Show Profile
I started out guitar by learning slack key. G Taro Patch is both very user friendly for the beginner and a very versatile tuning that will give you opportunities to learn for years to come.

I have a preference for Ozzie's book. It was just the right level for me to start with. (Actually I went through the first 6 or 7 lessons in Noad's book on classical guitar before I started with Ozzie. Helped me learn how to hold the things, etc.) I would work through the taro patch songs in Ozzie's book and then go to Keoki's DVD. (If Ozzie's is too "advanced" for you, Ron Loo's material is also good and breaks things down even more.)

What I would add to the above replies, from my experience, is: get a lesson with someone who knows what they are doing soon. Especially for the basic mechanics -- you want to learn how to play the guitar without harming your body. Any good guitarist who knows how to teach his stuff to others could help. It would be beneficial to have a session of so with a slack key player whose style you like. There's something about sitting "knee to knee" which helps you learn much much faster than just by yourself. Doesn't necessarily have to be ongoing - just to get off on the right path.

Jump in -- the water's soooo nice.
Go to Top of Page

Sellars
Aloha

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  9:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,

I was planning on strarting with slack key too pretty soon. In a few weeks I have some week vacation and I hope to have the book of Ozzie Kotahi and the DVD of Led Kaapana by then.

best,
Roel

I've always been crazy but that's kept me from going insane (W.J.)

Playing: Ukulele, Slack key guitar, Mandolin
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou,

Yes, it can be done! That's how I started guitar, and yes, you run into some teaching that assumes you know standard tuning, but there's enough out there that doesn't. And, in some ways, you can start kï hö'alu without certain preconceptions, as you're a blank slate.

Tonya, I too, had a guitar at the time that was left with me to sit around and do nothing. Then, I heard slack key, and went to a lecture on it by Uncle Sol Kawaihoa, who explained about the open G tuning and the vamps and the piko (the melody). And I jumped in

Ron Loo and Ozzie are good places to start. Keola has beautiful music, but the fingering is really hard for someone who hasn't built up their fingers and hands over time, so it can be frustrating. I've heard it's best to start with, and stick with, one program (style/teacher) at the outset, till you get some grounding. Then branch out. Both Ron and Ozzie introduce fundamental slack key vamps and sounds and patterns, and incorporate them into lovely pieces.

Go for 'um!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Thank you, everyone. I've ordered the Ozzie's book and it should be delivered after the holiday weekend. I can't believe I'll finally be able to attempt playing such a sweet style of music! I'll keep you posted as to progress (or frustrations!).

Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  11:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
While I'm waiting for Ozzie's book to come in, is there anything on the web which I could read/prepare/play with this long weekend--just to have some fun giving it a try?

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Tonya,
Tune your baby taylor to open G (taropatch). The notes are, low string to high, D G D G B D. This is easy if you have a tuner or a piano around. If not, just tune the lowest string to a pleasing pitch, fret the 7th fret and tune the next string to that note. Fret the 5th string at the 7th fret, tune the 4th string to that. Fret the 4th string at 5th fret, etc., then fret 3rd string st 4th fret, tune 2nd string to that, fret 2nd string at 3rd fret, tune to string to that. Now strings 1, 4 and 6 (high to low) should all be at the same note, strings 3 and 5 at the same note. Once you have that, just start playing around on the high string with any melody you know. A simple 3 chord song is best to start with. Keep the melody going on the top string and you will find where and when to start using the onther strings as well.
Does anyone learn this way? Well, how about all those Hawaiians who grews up on "alternate" tunings? By that reasoning, of course, it should be easy to learn Chinese, since several hundred million kids under the age of 5 can do it!
Anyway, just tune up and start wandering around the high strings for melodies, the low strings for bass notes. Once you get Ozzies book, you will be able to make more progress along the slack key path, but enjoy what you learn on your own as well

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Cthulhu
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  6:16:24 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if it is any consolation/inspiration, but I had only played very basic ukulele before trying my hand at ki ho'alu. I picked up a very inexpensive guitar, Ozzie's book, and started practicing. For some reason, Ozzie's book just *clicked* He does a fantastic job of starting with a basic, but beautiful, song and builds from there. Granted, after a month I am still working through the second song, but I truly feel as if I'm learning as I go. That is intended as more of a complement to Ozzie rather than any indication of my own skill.
<p>
I have no doubt that you will learn a ton from the book. I still have no idea how to form most chords or how to properly read music, but I can actually play the first 2 songs in Ozzie's book without looking too terribly incompetent. In fact, my wife actually *asked* me to play in front of my father-in-law. Again, the credit goes to Ozzie, not me!
<p>
Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm awfully enthusiastic about the Ozzie book, since I think that he truly stands heads-and-shoulders above most other music instructional books.
<p>
Good luck and enjoy!
<p>
Jeremy in Wisc.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  03:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Slack Key is how I learned to fingerpick, too. I took a Blues class years later and the instructor told me that my phrasing sounded "Hawai'ian". Open G-Taro Patch- is one of the most widely played tunings on the planet. On the mainland, it was called "Spanish" after "Spanish Fandango". Our "normal" tuning is a compromise between open E and open G. Open G has been found in 500 year old German lute tab. (the musical staff is based on tab). My grandma played a slack tuning, she was from northern Sweden.
The friend that taught me gave only 3 lessons:
1) Dis your t'umb. Come back in 3 weeks.
2) Dis da vamp. Can play anykine , long as it fit.
3) Dese da chords.
Keep da t'umb moving, play da right chord at da right time, an' no fo'get da vamp. Peopo will t'ink you know how fo' play. Dassit
My buddy assures everyone that the 2nd and 3rd instruments get "easier" as you build the "grid" inside your head. Jus' press.
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  08:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Basic question, here. I went home last night and tuned it as Karl suggested (thank goodness for my electronic tuner) and then started playing around. I know from Dancing Cat's explanation of slack key that the thumb "does" the bass note(s?) but I can't figure out what strings to "assign" to which fingers. In ukulele I'm lucky with just four strings and I "plant" my little finger on the body, putting one string to each left-over finger. It seems to work well--but with *SIX* strings, arrgh (or would that be "auwe"?)! It felt pretty natural to use the thumb for the two lowest strings, the index for the next two and the last two fingers each get the next strings (still planting my pinky on the body).

So, my question: Is this an okay finger pattern or should I do something different? If it's anything like ukulele, I imagine I'll be getting the, "if it works for you, it's correct," answer--but I just want to make sure I'm not making things harder for myself than I need to and, if I'm learning it, I might as well do it the way others have already found it to work.

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  09:19:03 AM  Show Profile
Yup, you are right: "if it works for you, it's correct,".

However, since you will use Ozzie's book: He uses his thumb for the bottom 3 (especially since he likes to use the "alternating bass" patterns 6-4-6-4 (D) and 5-4-5-4 (G)). Then, he assigns index to string 3, middle to string 2 and ring to string 1.

But, again, "if it works for you, it's correct,".

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  11:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
As the famous country picker (whose name escapes me right now) said in response to the which finger on which string question: whichever gets there first.
But as Reid pointed out, Ozzie has some answers for that.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Cthulhu
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  4:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Couple 'o things:

1) Tonya - the nice thing about the Ozzie book is that he up-front says that there is more than one way to assign your fingers to the strings. He uses his thumb for the top three strings (lowest D, lowest G, 2d lowest D), his index finger for 2d G, his middle finger for B and his ring finger for the highest D. What is nice is that he tells you that you could just use your thumb and index or thumb, index and middle finger, depending upon what feels comfortable. If you aren't anxiously awaiting the Ozzie book, you should. Is is a truly great book from a genuinely talented and kind teacher.

2) Sandman - the quote from Zhuang Zi gave me a bit of a smile. I absolutely love the Zhuang Zi and Te Tao Ching. Fantastic reading and a great livable philosophy.

To sum up my ridiculously long post - have fun.

Jeremy.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  7:48:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm stuck in a self repeating time warp......help us Obi Andy

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page