Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Concord CA Luaua - Whee Ha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  9:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
This was a kinda low profile show, but we stumbled on a poster in a local plate lunch place. There's an annual luau to benefit the Concord, CA senior program and meals on wheels, and Patrick Landeza provides the music. This year Patrick just happened to have Herb Ohta Jr., Keoki Kahumoku, and Cyril Pahinui in town so they joined him, and it was quite a treat. Some of my wife's hula sisters brought hubbies and friends so we had a very enjoyable and sociable table. Good grinds, too!

Patrick opened, the guy never stops surprising me. His new guitar (a Goodall!) sounded great, and he pulled out a truly inspiring slack key medley that must have included a dozen different songs. A little Radio Hula, some Ku`u Ipo Onaona, Kolomana, I don't know, they were going by so fast. He told me later he was channeling his uncles who used to play slack key in the back yard. He got the beginning of a standing ovation when he finished his set, but he held off on hana hou because there was so much more music to present.

I've been a big fan of Keoki and Herb since their first CD, and they were in great form tonight. They did Mauna Loa, Hilo Kanakahi, I'll Remember You, and a kicking Ka'a Ahi Kahului. Keoki did one of his dad's songs, 5 Minutes, and Herb did his Shania Twain tune, You're Still the One. Naturally the comedy act was ongoing between tunes.

Uncle Cyril did a solo set as only he can. Hula O Makee to open, Harvest of Rainbows led to a medley of his compositions, Ka Makani Ka`ili Aloha with Patrick's sister dancing, then Hi`ilawe. The audience was hanging on every note.

A little jam ended the show, and with Keoki and Herb in the mix it was pepper jelly! I never get enough `Ulili E, especially with Patrick and Keoki blending on the refrain. He`eia is another favorite that they roared through.

What can I say, we're way lucky to have these wonderful artists visit us and share their music, and we owe Patrick a lot for making it happen.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  03:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like it was great fun. Too bad it was so "low profile" that it couldn't have been shared with the TaroPatch comunity ahead of time. Guess I need to eat more plate lunches or listen better during Patrick's classes.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Drat...glad you at least saw the concert flyer, Fran, and sorry `Ilio Nui missed it completely.

I post events to taropatch.net when my schedule permits -- but you can always find the most current calendar of performances by Hawai`i-based musicians, online here:
http://www.mele.com/ConcertCalendar.cgi

And for those of you in the SF Bay area, you might also want to bookmark this site:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~halkop/events.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  10:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria,

Mahalo. I haven't checked "halkop" in a while. My bad. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Oh my gosh I would have flown over for that one had I known. Everyone is a class act in themselves, and together its a totally awesome experience to hear and see, and gosh darnit I missed it.

I just heard some of Herb and Keoki's new CD and its as usual great.

The warmth and emoton of Uncle Cyril's mello tones are always a touch to the heart.

I can never say enough good things about Patrick and from some tracks I've heard I know that someday, someday, he's gong to have a new CD out thats going to knock everyones socks off.

Fortunately in October we will have Patrick, Uncle Dennis and Uncle Cyril over for a concert and visit. I am hoping they will help break in the new patio furniture
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  7:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Fran, how was the dinner music? I heard that they had an up and coming slack key guitarist playing during dinner to kick things off.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  10:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Gary, the dinner musician had an absolutely great time. It was such an honor to be on the same stage that these great artists would be using. They had a stupendous PA system and a sound engineer running it, the great food had all the diners in a good mood, and the audience was very gracious. They seemed to enjoy a few instrumental pieces to warm things up. It was just a little nerve wracking seeing all the aunties in the audience - don't want to mess up in front of the aunties, ya know.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000