Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack key for RMMGA CD III?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  8:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
A few weeks back there was some talk of establishing a kind of slack key ghetto on RMMGA's CD III. Anyone else thinking of submitting a piece? I believe Fran Guidry is, though I don't know whether it's slack key (what say, Fran?). I have an idea for one, if I can get a clean take.

Deadline for submissions is October 1. Write and submit your own liner notes. Gallant RMMGA volunteers take care of the rest, including any licencing for cover tunes. You need to supply the song's writer and publisher--there's some information about that on the FAQ.

Speaking of which, the project FAQ is at

http://www.geocities.com/musicaddict47/rmmga/cd3faq.html

I'd encourage anybody teetering on the brink to take the plunge--it's as generous an audience as you're going to find outside your own birthday party.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 09/11/2002 20:22:07

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  12:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Russell, and everyone,

My current plan is to submit the original take of my first slack key composition. I started pulling the tune together in the Oakland airport on the way to Oahu last June. By the time we'd spent a week at Haleiwa I had strung together several ideas, and I recorded on the lanai at our rental on Waialua Beach Road. Naturally the tune is "Waialua Slack Key." The guitar is my dented and dinged Larrivee Parlor, recorded with a Sharp Minidisc and Sound Professionals T-mic, and the north shore waves are roaring in the background.

You can hear the song in its nearly completed form here:

http://www.fxguidry.com/jaminjuly/tunes/franwaialua.mp3

recorded with the same system, but played on a Santa Cruz Brozman baritone, with a Walnut Creek guitar party in the background.

My second submission will be "Monorail Slack Key," a tune written by Patrick Landeza. I asked him to teach me the song, but he'd forgotten it, so I dug it up off his first CD.

I asked for a show of hands on RMMGA on the subject of raw recordings versus polished ones. The nearly unanimous preference was for plain unadorned snapshots rather than fancy production numbers and pristine recordings. It would be cool to have lots of slack key on CDIII.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2002 :  01:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Fran, I've listened to that party track a few times (including right now), and your raw is way more better done than my most carefully cooked efforts. I look forward to hearing more.

I've strung a bunch of licks and turnarounds together and am trying to decide if it's a tune yet. Maybe if I can play it all the way through without any hideous glitches, it will turn into one. Or maybe a frog. My real fear is that it will turn out to be a series of two- and four-bar fragments of other tunes, unconsciously remembered and regurgitated.

This is what comes of not having a grasp of the language (and thus the lyrics) as an aid for the mental filing system--I rarely fail to place a melodic fragment that has an English lyric. The other night, a whole tune popped into my head, and I still can't quite place it. I can almost hear the singer's voice, but not well enough to make out the title. Grrr.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  11:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Russell,

Have you made any progress? I would like to submit a song but still need to record it somehow. I'm all for having more slack key representation on RMMGA CDIII.

Time is quickly running out, but I am still optimistic. Bad habit of mine to wait until the very last minute.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I currently have about ninety minutes of picking on DAT, but not a single clam-free take. Even tunes as simple as "Mauna Loa" or "Hula O Makee" seem to become challenging as soon as the recorder is on. What I'm doing now is just playing a couple of tunes for 15 minutes or so at a time in the hope that there will be enough stretches of acceptable material to piece together a two- or three-minute medley once the mistakes and expressions of annoyance are edited out.

I do have a couple of flawed-but-interesting experiments with multitracking, but the "flawed" part prevents them from being candidates for broad public exposure. A wrong note in live performance just passes by, but on a recording it starts to feel like a stone in your shoe--first a minor irritation, then impossible to ignore, then painful.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  5:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Just wanted to say that I submitted one track and put the mp3 up at www.HawaiiMusicians.com for you all to check out. Look for "NJ Exit 142 Slack Key".

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I just mailed mine off as well--"Malihini Slack Key," pieced together from the least objectionable portions of a marathon midnight recording session. I was going to try for some second-guitar multitracking, but my DAT started to misbehave, so I'll have to save that enterprise for CD IV.

I'm listening to "NJ Exit 142" right now--nice tune, nice execution--I wish I had a thumb that steady. Do I hear echoes of Uncle Ray? (Can any of us avoid them?)

Think we'll we have enough tunes for a little slack key ghetto on one disk?
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy,

I'm downloading now. Wow, you're already in the top 3!

Thanks for the music.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  9:18:12 PM  Show Profile

Listened to your piece on my cheap PC speakers at work.

Will try again at home sometime later in my studio.

Initial reaction - very nice and smooooth...

Room sounds good too, but I will have to listen on a better system.

Good Job Andy!

...L

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  11:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
andy, it sounds great!

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  11:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the positive comments. I see they've already taken me out of the top three so that my head doesn't get big. I'm not sure how easy it is to navigate to the mp3's so here's the link: http://www.hawaiimusicians.com/mp3/MemMP3/102/NJSK.mp3
quote:
Do I hear echoes of Uncle Ray? (Can any of us avoid them?)
You are correct. I am a big fan of Uncle Ray so his turnarounds snuck in there. Those last couple of chords going out, I learned from him too. Thanks for listening!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  3:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Ho! Lito bruddah - you wen' make dis kupuna laugh to da max wid dat rim shot tap-tap :-)

And you have added loads to it since I heard it last. Great Job!

...Ungko Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  6:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Glad you liked that Reid. BTW, that was pre-Tommy Emmanuel show. You missed it in O`ahu, I guess.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  8:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message

Aloha Andy!! Your Kiho'alu piece was very nahenahe I, really enjoyed it!!!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  10:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks guys. Thanks Patrick!

Maybe you all will inspire me to write another song. FYI, I only write one song every 5-6 years. Should have one CD ready by retirement.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Thanks guys. Thanks Patrick!

Maybe you all will inspire me to write another song. FYI, I only write one song every 5-6 years. Should have one CD ready by retirement.

Hey that's ten times the rate that I write songs!

BTW - Listened to your RMMGA submission last nite (Andy) on my Mackie 824 monitors and it sounds very good. Definitely has the acoustics of a living space but the sound is quite pleasant. You may want to add a little bass boost around 80Hz and bass compression in the 50-150Hz range to tighten up your remarkably steady bass, then some HF reverb "sheen", and then finally bring the level up using Hard Limit, but it also sounds fine the way it is. I noticed a lot of squeaking on the third string during slides. This is a subjective thing, some people like the "realness" of squeaks and others think it is bad form. If you want to reduce it on future recordings you can use Elixir (coated) strings which have less squeak, or you can use a solid third string (which is what I often do - 0.024inch), OR (as one of my teachers keeps insisting that I do) you can do it the hard way, which is to improve technique. I have been told this is possible (and how to do it) and my teacher can take my guitar and do the same slides with less squeaking but, so far, this thing eludes me, so I go for the solid third.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/02/2002 2:09:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000