Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Nov South Bay Open Mic,
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  08:12:17 AM  Show Profile
While I agree that overpracticing is probably the best way to perform for most people (for some overpracticing makes the performance too wooden) - I don't think that most of the mistakes at EG come from not being prepared. I think they come from being nervous enough to need Depends. Most of us don't get the opportunity to play for others and being mic'd, on stage in front of what looks like a huge crowd (even if they are "friendlies") is just plain scarry. And that's why getting up to play at a place like EG can be so valuable - and it's a way we can support each other -- and it's also one of the reasons why it is so great to have seasoned performers - balance, role modeling, tips, etc. I hope that the open mic can be much more than just a place where seasoned performers play a short set - it is a place to share, learn, try things out, entertain, have a good time in the process.

On the practical side, my advice is to start off with beautiful but simpler things. Don't go for radio hula type stuff until you are comfortable performing. Try to increase the odds of success, because that will also build youre confidence.

And, as Ozzie said, Nobody does from making a mistake while performing.
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile
BTW....for those of you wondering...Sun Jose has opened up in Eastridge mall.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  2:02:38 PM  Show Profile
You are quite right Ray, too much practice can be a detriment and especially, practicing in the wrong way, can really set you back. Case in point, my (lack there of a) golf game. I need training aids, or better yet a mentor or real live coach. ...and I need the experience of playing and trying...cuz as Clint said "a man's got to know his limitations". So gettin back to slack key playing, the EG is one of the best places to assess our "limitations". So I'm really looking forward to the next time where I can perform something that pushes me just a little, not too hard yet not too easy. And equally enjoying everyone else's next performance. Laters.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000