Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Nov South Bay Open Mic,
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  05:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Everyone did such an awesome job! The thing I was most impressed about was that each performer had a great mo'olelo (story) to accompany their mele. Was really nice to finally meet some of you in person and talk story. Raymond & Espresso Garden have created a wonderful, casual kanikapila outlet for perpetuating Hawaiian music!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Each night seems to get better.

So, Doug, exactly how much is a brazileon?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  5:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Photos ala Pulelehua. As always, mahalo for sharing these.

The Kams

Na La'au Ki'eki'e

Jerry

Kiwini

Sil and Doug

Art and Sil

Fran

Larry and Julie

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  8:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for being so responsive in managing this site, Andy. Wow! Don't know how you do such a great job!

What a fun evening it was. I enjoyed listening to Fran and Jerry quietly jam as people arrived - beautiful! Doug, keep up the good work singing. Larry, are you suffering from a bout of serious BAS (bass acquisition syndrome)?

It would be lovely if hula dancers would perform at Open Mic sometime. Thanks again, Raymond, for masterminding everything.

Aloha,

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  12:12:07 AM  Show Profile
What a great night as always! Thanks Raymond and The Espresso Gardens. Without you we couldn't enjoy such great company, music, and calories.

Missed your playing Raymond, hope your back gets better soon. Seems like the ohana is growing every week!

Great to meet you Steven, small world yeah? My sister really enjoys dancing for Kumu Kawika and Kumu Maluhia. You play one mean slack, no ack!

Art and Sil, was good to meet you guys. You both bring strong stage experience that I'm sure we can all learn from.

Mr.Kam, I really enjoy listening to you play and sing and now you have your son Rob up on stage with you playing some killer slacker licks, can't get much better than that (except being paid, I suppose).

And now,(drum roll please) Introducing the Jazz Ensemble of Na La'au Ki'eki'e! What a nice blend and change of pace. You guys are so creative and entertaining!

Jerry, you drove 2 hours to get here and 2 hours back? That's commitment! I hope you come back to play again and make sure you bring that gorgeous guitar.

New base huh, Larry? I guess you've taken the plunge now! "I'll Remember You" was a nice song for you two to play together. I suppose the music doesn't stop much around you two!

Hey Doug, beat you to the punch this week. It was great not having to follow you for once as I've had to the last two months. I've heard you talking about Kuu Home o Kahaluu, for so long now, it was great to finally hear you play AND sing it!

Fran, thanks for driving down and sharing your music with us. It was great to finally hear you play, live and in person. I'll be standing in line when you have your CD release party for sure!

Dave, great joke. When President Bush leaned over to Cheney and said "How much is a Brazilian?" Cheney should've said, "About $40.00"!! Thanks for doing the Hawaii Aloha every night. It's really a nice touch.

Rob, next month yeah?

Thanks Pulelehua and Julie for the pictures, you guys are the best!

Next Month, Toys for Tots! Don't forget! Original Wrappers! Happy Thanksgiving!

Aloooooha!
Kiwini

Edited by - Kiwini on 11/04/2005 7:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Wonderful job and music by everyone this past Wednesday evening! I truly enjoyed the whole experience, most of all the chance to meet all of you. Mahalo nui for welcoming both Sil and I into the TaroPatch ohana...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:14:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm still shaking--don't know if it's the adrenaline from watching all the incredible performances or if I'm having open mic singing withdrawal. As you could tell, I'm still pretty new to this open mic stuff and even newer to singing AND playing on stage. Mahalo to all of you for your encouragement and support! Gotta start somewhere, right? Hey Fran, you're singing next time, yeah?

Bruddah Sil, thank you so much for joining me on "Ku'u Home 'O Kahalu'u"--your ukulele playing and singing are awesome, and it was an honor to be on stage with you. I don't know if you guys know this, but I've known Sil for all of six days. We met via Taropatch and he came over to my house last Saturday, ostensibly for me to teach him some basic slack key. I showed him some real basic stuff in Taropatch tuning, and then we were interrupted by my 9-1/2 yr. old son, who asked, "When can I play?" So I looked over at Sil and said, "Do you mind if we play a couple of ukulele tunes?" so that we could indulge my son for a little while.

Well two hours later and an hour past my son's bedtime, the three of us were still playing uke. We pulled the old "bait and switch"--Sil thought he was coming to learn slack key but instead he ended up teaching us ukulele technique and songs!

Anyway, so what does Sil do at the open mic? He proceeds to play "Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua/Your Move" (by Yes) in slack key for the first time (with Bruddah Art accompanying him on bass). Now that's a talented musician!

I second the comments mentioned above about all of the excellent performances. I feel lucky to be amongst such talented folks who are filled with so much aloha. Julie and Larry, when you guys did "I'll Remember You," it gave me chicken skin and made me homesick for the islands.

Steven and Art, it was so nice meeting you and thank you for coming out to support and encourage us. Raymond and Espresso Garden, mahalo for organizing the open mic and giving us a great venue to play. Can't wait till next month!

Aloha,
Doug

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile
It's absolutely wonderful to see all the new faces and hear all the great music. Last night was glorious. Mahalo to all. Next month bring friends and toys.

The success is building.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  6:55:20 PM  Show Profile
For Bay Area folks who don't know - the next open mic at ESpresso Garden - DEC 7 - always the 1st. Wed of the month.

At the Dec open mic we will be gathering toys for "Toys for Tots."
Only new toys in original packaging. Kids from 1 - 18.

I'll post another reminder about 2 weeks before the event.
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Aloha All,
I too had a great time even though I am real new to open mic and did not play up to my expectations (lots of stage fright even among friends). I feel it only fair to warn you that I will be back and I will eventually play "Kawailele o nu u anu" all the way through. Thanks so much for the support. See you next month, Jerry
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  03:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Jerry,

You played beautifully. You also happened to pick a couple tough tunes. I don't understand the psychology, but I can play in front of hundreds of strangers. But, when it comes to friends, I get really nervous. In the long run, I have found that to be a good thing; learning to work through those feelings. I look forward to hearing you play again, especially Ka Wailele O Nu`uanu.

See you ther,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  07:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Jerry,

It was great seeing you at the open mic. You beat Fran and me for the longest commute to San Jose. I enjoyed your performance and don't sweat the mistakes--we've all done that. No pilikia!

In fact, in my first open mic at Espresso Garden, I botched up "Ka Wailele 'O Nu'uanu" too--for some reason I had a mental block in the middle of the song. But, like you, I just moved on, and I lived to see another open mic. As Dave mentioned, it is a difficult song, but you'll get it. Kudos to you because you nailed your other two songs.

What's most important is that you went on stage to share your music and aloha with us. Mahalo! Hope to see you at the next open mic.

Aloha,
Doug
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  10:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Lijke Ozzie said, Nobody dies from making a mistake while playing."
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  09:24:52 AM  Show Profile
...on the other hand, before a performance, it's a good idea to visit the facilities or have some fresh "depends" on, he-he. But seriously, from a guy who's been there and had many things happen, the primary thing to keep in mind is the answer to that question, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall", practice, practice, practice." ...and these open mic's, Uncle Kem's Aloha Sunday, kanikapila-get-togethers, give us the opportunity to get another one under our belts. What's important is enjoying, sharing and learning, mostly enjoying it. I alway get butterflies, some encouragement goes a long ways to keep us in the game, but I know when my performance falls short of being the best it could be. And I have had those occasions when it comes off perfectly. What elation, rush, good feeling. It so much better when you've taken the time to learn the entire mele, practiced, rehearsed, made it your own and then delivered IT. I hope we all get there. I tell myself the more I practice, the more often I will get there... it's like making a hole in one...that reminds me I've got to get to the range!!! A hui ho, Sil
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  7:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Jerry, I come to the open mics, as I'm sure most of us do, to push myself out of my comfort zone so I can learn from those experiences. I also come there to learn from others. What I loved most about your performance was the smooth and rythmic delivery you had when you were on. You were on much more than you were off. It is an area where I want to improve on and those well executed measures remain in my head as something to emulate. Mahalo for sharing and I look forward to hearing you play again.

"You'll miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000