Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Need your advice on sharing Hawaiian Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  10:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I need your help in choosing Hawaiian music for a CD I plan to compile for my secretaries. Most of the secretaries are not very familiar with Hawaiian music. What I am looking for is a variety of styles but looking for the best of the best from classic to contemporary. I will be legally purchasing and downloading the music and as of result of being legal my choice may be fewer that I might wish. Yes, I know that I could just rip and burn the songs from my own collection but that would not be proper. The artists justly deserve payment (even if its small) for their talent and creativity. In fact, I would urge everyone to legally purchase your music for burning to CD’s or for use in you IPODs. An increase in legally purchased Hawaiian music will lead to better future availability and increased income to the Hawaiian music industry and artists.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to rant and rave but it rings of truth. Every time I try to play a song on my ukuleles I remember how much I appreciate the skill and talent of real musicians.

Mahalo

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria at mele.com has a list of the 50 top Hawaiian albums of all time (someone's opinion, anyway). I'd start there and try to get something from each style. If you want, email me and I'll give you my desert-island discs list. I have a couple of hundred Hawaiian CDs.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Konacat!
Who are you and where are you?
Chunky M and I were both at Whittier too that day!
Wanna kani ka pila?
n
Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:14:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Torrance. I attended the afternoom performance and had 4 seats front row left.

Sorry, but no one would want to play with me as I have no talent and don't know squat about music. When God was passing around musical talent and understanding he looked at me and left laughing. Of course that never stopped me from plinking for my own pleasure. It does however, leave me in awe of those who have talent.

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  1:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
You'd be surprised, konacat, at how many people would welcome you to join them in playing together. Every single talented musician you have ever heard started at zero. Those of us who have moved to a higher number than that (or like to think that we have) still remember when we began, and many of us are happy to share music with players at all skill levels, both above and below. I play music in public, but I have no shame and a big ego --- but my motivation is still just the sheer pleasure of playing music.
If you had no skill or talent whatsoever, you wouldn't appreciate what you hear, nor would you ever pick up an instrument. Just keep playing, keep playing, keep playing --- do it for the joy that you feel, don't compare yourself to others, don't worry about what others would think. You play better today than you did ten years ago, don't you? Ten years from now, you will be even better, IF you keep playing.
Here in Seattle, our `ukulele group that meets monthly, welcomes players of all levels, and we have had many who feel absolutely lost or confused or frustrated - but they keep trying, and they are always welcomed. There must be people in your area who would be happy to work with you and to play with you.
And if you still want to keep your music private, do so --- but don't stop playing, and don't kick yourself about your ability. It gives you pleasure, so that proves that it has value.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey!
Ditto on the talent - my mother offered me a bag or a pail on numerous occasions to "carry my tune", and then when I played her a quite spiffy rendition of a folk tune, she said it sounded quite nice for a beginning "school" piece... and I continue to explain that my "right brain" is atrophied. but just for grins and fun, come on by and kani ka pila 10 minutes away in Manhattan Beach. Uncle Chuck in Torrance is doing his best to teach me some things, but it's tough. So hang in there, and hang out with kindred souls and enjoy yourself.
Oh, and by the way, I was sitting in the middle of the front row, early performance, and was the one who said "awesome dude" when asked how we all were.......
aloha nui,
auntie nancy

Edited by - Pua Kai on 11/22/2005 3:11:56 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000