Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila @ Nani's Donut Shoppe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  06:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Got a venue for a Kanikapila Nite, NANI'S DONUTS,in Hayward. Brother Art Antonio & Sista Nani say they're willing to try. Something like 6:30-9:00 on Jan 25th (thinking every last Wednesday of the Month, if this gets regular). Can have sound system available. Let me know!!!

Edited by - Sil da Trill on 12/29/2005 09:04:53 AM

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  7:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks, Sil. I'll put it on my calendar.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile
So Sil,

Were you thinking of organizing a real Kanikapila or an open mic (like the open mic at Expresso)?

In a real kanikapila everyone can play along and everyone takes turns leading a song, rather than having one person or group get up and perform specific things. Open Mics and Kanikapilas are both great fun but they operate in very different ways. In a kanikapila, a sound system can actually get in the way.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/28/2005 09:10:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile
I'd like this to be a kanikapila versus open mic, might need sound system just to keep control of the festivities. The place is a small donut shop with movable booths. No real stage area. It would be a little crowded if 30+ slackers/uke-ist show up. May need folks to bring a folding chair or stool cuz unless you sit on top of the booth's table, it will be hard to play comfortably. ...any ways, looking for suggestions on how to organize this. I'm planning to have flyers available by 1/11/06 at the SJ Open Mic, with directions and other details. BTW, there are a Burrito place and Chinese Take out next door, or one can fill up on Nani's donuts, guava sticks, ice cream and coffee. The location is 20942 Mission Blvd. Hayward, at the Creekside Center. Please respond to this thread if you are interested in showing up. We'd like to get an idea of what kind of turnout is expected.
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile
braddah sil,
i think the open mic would be good for the first time...then go from there....i dunno..
rod
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Sil, is this kanikapila open to all styles/musicians or pretty much keeping with slack key/slack key stylings?

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Since there already is a monthly Open Mic going in the area
it would be better to have a true kanikapila where folks
can jam together, and everyone takes turns leading. This is
one of the best ways to learn to play along with other
musicians, providing the lead rotates after each piece.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/13/2006 12:15:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  9:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Sil, thanks for organizing this. I would prefer the kanikapila format vs. an open mic. Kanikapilas are a great way to involve everyone, learn new songs, and work on playing/singing together in a fun, casual atmosphere. It would be great if participants brought copies of one or two songs to share with everyone.

I think the kani should not be exclusive to slack key, but should probably be Hawaiian themed, similar to the San Jose open mic. It would be wonderful to have guitars, ukes, steel guitars, bass (so ArtSap can join in!), whatever--even hula dancers--just like a backyard kani in Hawaii.

Mahalo to Art Antonio and Nani for opening up their shop for us.

Doug

Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  9:48:12 PM  Show Profile
K-den, it is a go for next Wed, Jan 25th. ...opps just need to finalize venue plans with Art & Nanni.

Still looking for guidance, thanks PearlCityBoy for the "Jam Etiquette" stuff, and it's good to review other postings, like the "top 25...".

In answer to rodv18, I hope this to be a true kanikapila, but kinda depends who shows up, got to have at least 2 players. It might end up turning into a "performance..." thing but I don't want to repeat the SJ events at Expresso Gardens. The intent is to play together, share & learn.

In answer to ArtSap, all styles would be welcomed: slack, uke, standard guitar tuning, lap steel, jawaiian... btw, do you pa'ani on da bass??. That being said, I've asked for Mika ele's KGS list, and would like to review the "top 25 list" with some of you's (Lawrence, PearlCityboy, Fran etc). Also seems like "He Mele Aloha" would be a good reference also, although it does has a definate uke influence. ....so how about we come up with 10 kiho'alu, 10 uke and 10 whatevers, den have one bugga say what key, and arrangement, share the charts if any, start the mele and pass it on (clock wise as it says in "jam etiquette"). I am planning to bring a copier with plenty of paper.

Guess it would be a good idea to have a pa, mainly for the event wrangler to maintain control and just as important, so we can hear dem bass players and those who want to sing and may need to have a volume boost. Should we provide a mic for the pa'ani-ist? Anyone have a mic that's appropiate?

Anyways, please respond to this thread so we know about how many to expect. The address is 20942 Mission Blvd, Hayward CA.

Neva dun dis befoa, but as dey told Led, we gonna "just press"

See ya there, Sil

Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  10:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
Hey Sil, I may show up after work, since the donut shop is on the way home from work. Haven't kanikapila'd with anyone on the patch before, except maybe you at Uncle Kem's. Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll get a donut. . .

Ben
Go to Top of Page

Dogface
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  06:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Sil

Guud 2 CX U last nite. Guess U talked me in2 coming out on the 25th.

G²
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile
Sil,
I just sent you a few more KGS to look at and try out at the kanikapila.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Just a reminder, Kani at Nani's gonna happen on Wednesday Evening @ 6:30 pm. The address is 20942 Mission Blvd, Hayward CA. Bring your uke, guitar, bass, voice, chair to sit on, and mostly "aloha spirit".

Sil
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  06:43:02 AM  Show Profile
In addition to your chair and instrument, don't forget to bring your "He Mele Aloha" Hawaiian songbook, which is probably the closest thing that we have as a common reference source.

Also, it would be great if participants brought extra copies of a song or two that they'd like to play/sing that isn't in the Mele Aloha book. That way we can all share and build our song repertoire.

Mahalo Sil for organizing this kanikapila.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  1:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
More photos from Pulelehua. Coffee, doughnuts and kanikapila. Mmmm, doughnuts.

Go to Top of Page

Sil da Trill
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile
The "Kani at Nani's" was definately one big hit last nite!!! First, thanks Art and Nani for leaving the lights on and giving us a place to park our okoles. Next, such a talented group that showed up with lots of aloha, you all made the evening so much fun and worthwhile -- let's keep it going!!!

I am looking for your comments and suggestions as we continue on, like using He Mele Aloha as da bible for getting things started, using name tags (thanks ArtSap), providing song copies of mele's you want to share (just like PearlCityBoy did). Although it wasn't used, I will have the copier and paper available again. Also I think the PA was a good idea if only for the bass, but also for those nahenahe players (thanks Auntie Ella for allowing me to put the mike by you).

Anyways, one thing I'd like to settle is the date of the next kani. Is Wednesday (2/22) ok or is Thursday 2/23 mo bettah? Hope to make that decision before the month is ova.

Mahalo to you all

Sil (guess what, my next kanikaplia is gonna be in Kaupoa Beach!!!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000