Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 OPEN MIC 01.11.06 O'SIDE L& L SCSKS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
How about all you guys start thinking about a kanikapila weekend in Las Vegas toward the end of April. BBQ being installed next week. Weather will be great (about 78 degrees), and there are some inexensive accomodations nearby.

Expect to have local talent available to play, and tons of food.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  06:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun! Food? That should bring Rik! Nail down the date so we can nail down our calendars!!
Mahalo nui for remembering us!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  08:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Forget - Impossible I have a great picture presented to me by SCSKS members when I moved for San Diego, that I see everyday. It never fails to invoke a warm feeling of friendships and great memories.

How about April 22-23

Edited by - Ianui on 01/26/2006 10:27:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  5:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
HOT's photos

Rik

Mike McVay

John Neira

Bill

Rik w/present

Terry

whole group inc family and friends

Auntie Nancy
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Andy - Thanks! I've been awfully busy since getting back. Somehow, there were a few photos on flickr that lost the "taropatch" tag. I've fixed those. There are a couple of good group shots, one of Auntie Nancy with her beautiful guitar, and yours truly. If you get a chance, you might select a couple of those to share with folks as well. Mahalo!

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool, here are some more.

Frank

Auntie Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile
What a mangy looking bunch! Especially the short fat guy under the surfboard.
I didn't realize we had such a large turn-out. Musta been HOT's visit and Rik's birthday! Thanks for the pictures. and . . . H.O.T., it was a pleasure to meet you and hear you play -- keep up the ho'oma'ama'a and . . . y'all come back now - ya hear?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike -
WE should do as the hula dancers do and smile! It was definitely H.O.T. who drew in the crowd because until he was on the program, Donna was going to take Rik to Outback or some other rangey place for his birthday... so actually, I'm guessing that Donna is the secondary reason we had so many fine folks... and we were missing Dusty, Keith, Don...
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  3:40:56 PM  Show Profile
I know it wasn't for my playing....Darn!! ha ha
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile
It's 50 questions time!!

Can someone tell me the format of the open mic? Is it a timed set or a number of songs set? Also is it slack key only, or are ukes and vocals allowed? Is there usually an amp to plug in available or should one bring their own? Are sign-ups as you arrive?

It appears pretty low keyed to me by the photos, like a family get-together. I'm sure the quality level of some of the players is quite good based on the Taropatch CD selections I've heard.

I'm looking forward to the next one on Feb. 8 assuming I have the right date. It's a bit of a distance for me, so I'd like to be prepared if possible. Any tips (musically speaking) are appreciated!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  08:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Ralph!!
It'll be fun to meet you!! Open mics are all different. Ours is laid back/casual. We don't have a sign-up sheet, no set order, no limit on pieces; and for that matter, vocals are nice and an ukulele or two would most likely be very welcome. Bill or someone brings an amp, though there is one there. It's the only place I've ever plugged my guitar into one. So someone can play once they've sorta gotten a tune pretty well down. You don't have to be perfect, you can use the music or the words if you want to; we don't notice mistakes, unless you ask for critique or help. And then towards the end, folks ask each other how to play that part, or can you do it this way, or do you have tab or did you learn it from a CD or? It's about having fun. Most likely there will be less than a dozen of us there. Rik's birthday and Frank H.O.T. were definitely added draws. Oh yeah, and the food's good.
aloha!
n
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  08:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Just out of curiosity, who is Bill? Is it a "Bill Benzel"? A friend of mine just forwarded an email and mentioned Bill Benzel would be playing with Jim Earp, at Borders in Carlsbad on Saturday, Feb 4 .

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
That would be me.

(Unless I owe you money in which case it's some other Bill Benzel.)

Bill

Edited by - bbenzel on 01/30/2006 4:14:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,

Could you please tell me about the blue brace on your picking hand? I (have to?) use one that has a steel insert that keeps my wrist straight and fastens with velcro. But, how does yours work and what does it do?

To Bill: glad you are still checking in with us here. Wouldn't want to lose you to the jazz set.

Terry, did you lose weight? You look positively skinny. You OK?

Everybody looking good, though. Must be the fish tacos.

Like Mark said, you guys have more fun than is legal.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Ralph,
At the open mike the slacker usually outnumber the customers and staff combined. We are there for support and help. The experience level varies all the way up to Keith/Dusty/Bill/Chunky (in no order). Come prepared to play at leat two songs you would like us to hear. This is not your average formal "Open Mike" at some other venues. We try to keep this one low ley and slack key -- hmmm . . . slow-key?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000