Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Feb South Bay Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  09:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Time is upon us -- the Feb open mic is next week

Wed. Feb 8, Espresso Garden on Bascom, San Jose

With some folks going to music camp, we may have "extra time" for someone wanting a longer set.

If you've never done this -- an open mic is a great opportunity to take your playing to the next level, or at least share your music in a more "formal" way -- Espresso Garden is a warm, supportive place to play. The food is good. Esxcellent Espresso drinks. Soft drinks, beer, wine. Reasonable prices, no cover.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  07:19:54 AM  Show Profile

Remember folks, tonight is the Expresso Garden Open Mic!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  08:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
I'll be there for the music, food and drink...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile
This is a great opportunity to introduce someone to slack key guitar and Hawaiian folk music so bring a friend!

www.espresso-garden.com

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  06:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Wow, what I thought was going to be an evening of few performers turned out to be just the opposite. Another terrific night of inspiring performances by regulars; the Kams, Raymond, Jerry, Kiwini, Doug, RobO and Dave - and the addition of Bruddah Rod (RodV18) all the way from Carmel Valley performing his first ever slack-key number of "Waimanalo Blues". We were graced with the return of Ashley who performed 2 beautiful hula numbers for us. And we were able to help a wonderful gentleman celebrate his 89th birthday whose daughter saw a flyer advertising the open mike at Espresso Garden and thought an evening of Hawaiian music would be the perfect way for them to spend this special evening. It just seems to get better and better...

Art
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  07:43:18 AM  Show Profile
Couldn't say it better than Art.
Except this waas RobO's first time performing, and did a good job with some tough material. Everyone performed interesting music, andd id it well. With a great mix of instrumentals, vocals, solo, group, and, as mentioned, hula. Keeps me inspired to practice more.
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for allowing me to perform for the first time. Although nerves really got the better of me, I very much appreciate your support. I hope to improve with more open mic performances (if you all will indulge me. Thanks for the feedback that I received from a number of you, I view feedback as a gift. And, of course, continued thanks to Espresso Garden and Raymond.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

rodv18
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile
well...my 3rd time at Expresso Garden and the muscians are getting better and better...as for my 1st ever slack-key playing experience...
too nervous and too much butterflies(more like BATS)...mahalo for the kine words of encouragement...also to Braddah Art and Braddah Doug for Kokua their time...i owe you-guyz...

rod
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  11:27:00 AM  Show Profile
That's pretty cool folks. I like the part that someone read the venue and actually decided on going.

Nice job everyone!

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  1:26:32 PM  Show Profile
If your Open Mike is anything like ours here in San Diego/Oceanside, the best part is getting slackers of various levels to play in front of group that is:

1. Interested
2. Knowledgeable
3. Appreciative
4. Sensitive to the amount of effort involved to get ready to play
5. Willing to offer tips if asked
6. Laughs with you as you make mistakes
7. Asks the tuning you used and claps after every song

Getting over butterflies comes with exposure - kind of like building callouses on your fretting hand. The first time I played, the whole guitar was shaking and I forgot where I was in the middle of the song - I stopped -- took a deep breath with encouragement from the other slackers -- and played it all the way through with no mistakes and a little faster. I am very fortunate to have a great group of slackers here to grow with.

Also the slackers outnumber the patrons at our venue. The one negative is the yelling from the food counter and kitchen in the middle of a song (restaurant staff not slackers).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  2:16:56 PM  Show Profile
We don't have the yelling problem 'cause the venue books real acts and has their system down. Also -- last night 10 performers, 26 non-perfomers as audience.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  4:05:32 PM  Show Profile
For those of you who weren't there, RobO is a sandbagger. He asked me to switch with him because he didn't want to follow me, then proceeded to blow us away. Good job big guy. Yes, this is a really good venue and I send special mahalos to Raymond (Ray if you're from Chicago), Sun Jose Hawai`i for their sponsorship, and all the folks who continue to show up and play. Everyone keeps getting better. I'd especially like to give kudos to jsulle. Your performance was very nahenahe and your comfort level on stage was wonderful. Raymond, your new approach to playing and working with the audience is way cool. And Da Kams, what can I say. It's like being at a backyard lu`au with all Da `Anakala playin' da kine.

Mahalo nui loa kou hooaloha ma ke open mic,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 02/10/2006 4:07:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  4:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Mika`ele, sounds like almost a mirror image of what takes place during the open mike sessions up here in the SF Bay Area. The support and encouragement displayed for each of the performers is truly heart-felt and genuine - a real sense of the "aloha spirit". In addition, the amount of one-on-one exchanges and info sharing that takes place before, during and after the evening reflects the desire to learn not only from the experience of performing but from each other as well. And as Raymond mentioned, the "coffee house" setting of the Espresso Garden venue with its performance stage and sound system just adds to whole atmosphere, which I imagine can be both comfortable for those watching and at times intimidating for those performing. In my opinion, the open mike participants, much like the Taropatch members, are really an ohana, of which I'm glad to be a part of.

Art
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  6:52:22 PM  Show Profile
For those of you who don't know Art, he's one of the best bass players I've heard. He's got a wonderful ability to find just the right groove to put under the guys out front - supports them and creates an interesting texture.

I usually don't mention individual performers, cause as coordinator of the event, I don't want anyone to think I'm leaving them out, but....

I've got to second Dave's comments about jsulle. Just a few months ago he was so nervous he could barely get through a song. Other night - a wonderfull nahenahe performance.
Again, that doesn't mean I didn't really like everyone else.
And finally, I don't think many folks comment on Dave's performances. A real pro - and most often straight from the heart. So beautiful the other night.

I started this open mic last May, I think, for 2 reasons. 1) To have a quality venue for us locals to perform. and 2) Because I found that each time I performed at SF Aloha Festival my own playing took a big jump in quality, and I hoped that the open mic might offer that kind of experience for other people. In that, it has gone so much better than I could ever imagine. Everybody has improved so much. This is a "great run." (Now if I could just get over the nerves.)
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  11:06:21 PM  Show Profile
It was another fun night with our biggest crowd yet. Hey Raymond, remember the first open mic, when we could count the number in the crowd on one hand?

What I will remember most about this open mic is being a part of Uncle Bill’s 89th birthday celebration. As Art mentioned, Uncle Bill’s daughters, who moved to the mainland from Makiki (on Oahu) 40 years ago, saw a poster advertising the open mic at retail store Sun Jose Hawaii. The daughters thought they would take a chance and take the whole family to Espresso Garden to celebrate Uncle Bill’s birthday. There were six in their party, and when they walked in, the restaurant was pretty filled. The only open table that could accommodate all of them was right in front of the stage.

The first performance was the Kams. As soon as they started playing and singing, Uncle Bill had this BIG, priceless smile. I quickly turned to Art, who was sitting on my table, and said, “Eh Brah, check out that guy’s face.” It just warmed our hearts and made us smile too. As the rest of us got up to perform throughout the evening, the big smile never left Uncle Bill’s face. He intently watched our fingers play the guitar, swayed to the music, and smiled even bigger while Ashley danced the hula (sorry, I couldn’t resist). You could tell that Uncle Bill--and his whole family--were so pleasantly surprised by our ohana-style performances, and it brought back memories of Hawaii and made his birthday extra special.

I’m so proud to join all of you every month. Everyone’s performances are getting better each time. However, what’s even more impressive is that our sharing of aloha through our music is getting so much stronger. Just ask Uncle Bill.

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  09:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
As usual, another great experience. It looks like this one was "be kind to Sulle' week". Big Dog and Raymond, you guys are just too kind but it sure makes me want to keep coming back. Everybody sounded really good and the new sandbagger from Carmel Valley,you know who you are, really blew us away with some cool licks. What will he do when he is not nervous.Awesome. Auntie Ella,my friend from Fairfield who has been coming with me just loves hearing everyone play. Maybe we will evertually get her to show us some of her ukulele,singing and hula skills.
Thanks to everyone for keeping this thing going, it has been a great learning opportunity. JL Sulle'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000