Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Playing Slack-key by..... Ear? Part. 1
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  05:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,"Bruddah" Don

As long as I've known you, Man! i neva know you came from a line of fine musicians. Well, know wonder you play the way you do! haha

Spock you on Wednesday 6th, If you can. If not, see you on Saturday the 9th. Hey people, Watch out for this guy!(Don Kaulia) He's going to be the next ki ho'alu draw!
hui hou!
Kevin
By the way: Great Story!

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  09:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the story Don! Look forward to part 2.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  2:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by RJS
There are TAB symbols that you can add on the bottom of each measure to indicate beats, and therefore rnythm, but I don't see them used very much.
Mark Hanson's book has regular notation at the top, tab in the middle, and rhythm marks under the tab. This is my favorite form of guitar notation.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  03:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
PART II, DON KAULI'A

Howzit Taro Patch Ohana...Andy, Kevin, Pauline, Slack Key Bill and the rest of the gang.

Well, it's been a very busy busy month. Last weekend I enjoyed the ambience and savored the moment again playing at the Kauai Style Slack Key Festival with Milton Lau on Kauai. I had a blast, got to spend some quality time with Ocean Kaowili, Jeff Peterson, Mike Kaawa, Paul Tagioka and a little bit with John Keawe and Brother Noland...not to mention Dennis Kamakahi and his wife.

This has been a wonderful year of touring with these guys to Oahu, Big Island and Kauai. It really hit me while waiting for my flight out of Kauai when I saw Cyril Pahinui and David Kahiapo deplane as I was preboarding to perform at another function in Honolulu. I had a committment to perform on Oahu at 4pm so Milton scheduled me at 12:30pm earlier in the lineup. When I saw Cyril, it really hit me to know I am playing with the legends of Slack Key...such an honor to share the same stage with Ledward Kaapana, Mike Kaawa, Brother Noland, George Kuo, Dennis Kamakahi, John Keawe, Ocean Kaowili, Jeff Peterson...such great masters of this indigenous art. I didn't realize it but being at the airport and away from the concert, it kind of hit me. I dunno, I just tripped out. Never dawned on me before, maybe because of my busy schedule with recordings and performances. When you're out of that cycle and in normal life settings like the airport, it then sinks in you to know you just got off the same stage that the legends will and have performed.

Sometimes you gotta just stop, savour the moment and thank God for these blessings and gifts...and in 'dis life' I am fortunate and honored to have the opportunity to be with these people. Much Thanks and Mahalos BIG TIME goes out to Kevin Brown who was responsible in linking me up with Milton Lau. At first, I was not sure if my style would be accepted with the rest of artists'. I play my own slack key. I try not to do covers like Radio Hula or Opihi Moemoe because everybody else does it. I was also informed that Milton Lau was very sensitive with style by each performer and if he doesn't like what he hears or if it's not slack key then you wouldn't be invited to be perform at the next event. Well, four years later, Thanks Kevin...BIG TIME MAHALO.

As for playing by ear. To me that's the entire key to success in music. Try and use in slack key, rock, jazz...then apply it to what you heard and then play it...pretty trippy...but it comes from the heart. I used to listen to Gabby's Brown Album alot and then play along with it until I mastered each track all by ear and jot down the notes that I knew at that time...Bb, 2nd G, 2nd F....it was funny hearing my aunties and uncles say this when they played all together. Then in music theory in High School I learned the correct way. It's more fun by 'ear'. I made a song called 'In 2nd D' just to honor the kupunas in the past.

For me, I don't tabulate any of my music I recorded nor composed on Freehand CD. It was strictly by memory and heart. Even my producer Chance Gardner freaked out. We cut the entire album in 3 hours total..mostly on the first take. Sometimes I had to go the most of 2 takes because we could hear the airplane or harley motorcycle in a couple takes. My Maui Merry Christmas album was totally live and not tracked...I don't recommend this CD at all...I did not confirm the mixdown and by the time I returned from a Out of State trip my producer released the CD. I do recommend the New Wave Native CD of which I have 3 tracks of slack key on it. In April 2003, I Ku Mau Mau will be launched by Audy Kimura of which I done all slack key guitar and a few bass guitar tracks on the entire album. This is a very excellent album featuring Kamehameha and Punahou alumi musicians, composers and singers. Look for this album that has more then 10 brand new songs and 3 cover songs featuring the voice of Randall Fukino and my guitar stylings all in slack key.

I'm in the studios right now with Chance doing Freehand Inspiration to be released in January 2003. I got a project due in May 2003 with Milton Lau featuring my new slack key stylings and a project due in July 2003 with Audy Kimura featuring slack key jazz and contemporary stylings. All 3 projects will feature all of my own compositions and sit ins with featured surprise guest artist.

So stay tuned in the key of 2nd D....hehehehehe....Aloha, I hope you enjoyed my story.

Don't forget to come to the Hula Grill on Mondays & Tuesday - 7pm to 9:30pm to hear some unreal slack key with myself and Albert Kaina.

Saturdays with me, Roy Kato on Bass and Jerry on Steel Guitar at the Outrigger Wailea from 6pm-9pm.

And every Saturday from 10am at Waihee Church with Kevin Brown and the Slack Key Gang...I going start coming next week, tommorrow I busy....Aloha,
Mahalo to all...especially you Brada Kevin Brown...Mahalo Plenty.

Don Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile
This is a cool thread! I love the information, stories and banter.

As for me, I'm most comfortable reading music and/or tab. But, I always try to develop my skills in "playing by ear" because I've found that if I don't try to play by ear, I box myself in. For example, one of the first slack key tunes I learned was "Opihi Moemoe" -- from Leonard Kwan's red book -- and for years I played EXACTLY as written. That's the trap that I fall into...the music is written down and, therefore, should be adhered to. While I think this works in some cases (orchestral music comes to mind), I think I do myself a disservice by strictly learning by reading music/tab.

And as others have pointed out, being able to do both can open up a whole side of things. Now, I try to listen to a piece (multiple times, of course...I WISH I only had to listen to it once) and pick out the "meat and potatoes", notate it so I don't forget, and add my own "spices" to the stew.

Ugh...now I'm babbling. Sorry.

Peace, love and soul...

- eric
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2002 :  2:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by etakushi

This is a cool thread! I love the information, stories and banter.

As for me, I'm most comfortable reading music and/or tab. But, I always try to develop my skills in "playing by ear" because I've found that if I don't try to play by ear, I box myself in. For example, one of the first slack key tunes I learned was "Opihi Moemoe" -- from Leonard Kwan's red book -- and for years I played EXACTLY as written. That's the trap that I fall into...the music is written down and, therefore, should be adhered to. While I think this works in some cases (orchestral music comes to mind), I think I do myself a disservice by strictly learning by reading music/tab.

And as others have pointed out, being able to do both can open up a whole side of things. Now, I try to listen to a piece (multiple times, of course...I WISH I only had to listen to it once) and pick out the "meat and potatoes", notate it so I don't forget, and add my own "spices" to the stew.

Ugh...now I'm babbling. Sorry.

Peace, love and soul...

- eric

Eh Eric,
Right on....you'll get the 'ear' as you proceed...the key is to enjoy ki ho alu.
I like Leonard Kwan's Redbook...in fact it's the first Slack Key Tab published in the late 1960's or early 1970's. You know that Leonard was one of three great legends that citicized my style of playing. Yup, in 1995, Uncle Eddie Kamae invited me to play with part of the Son's of Hawaii at the MACC and Leonard happened to be there with Kevin and Ikaika Brown at the same table after the Post Jam of Kamae's Film. Well, I came by to say hello and Uncle Leonard gave it to me...sort of scoldings that I needed...he said: 'boy, you gotta play nahenahe and feelings...I no like that 'tacky tacky riff' you played...no sound good'. At first I was seriously upset but then I looked at Leonard sincerity and took his comments constructively. And I know Kevin and Ikaika Brown was there to witness this. Leonards' advice has since made me a better performer today. His son Kevin Lee Kwan and I used to rotate in the band 3rd Road Delight.

I remember Alice Namakelua scolding me on how I was singing and playing in 1978 at a luau...she tapped me with her cane and said...'boy, you better learn the song you play as well as the language'...wow...talk 'bout critique...lucky me.

And then came Pop's Gabby Pahinui in 1979 at a luau at Makaha Valley Beach Park across from Cornet Store. My band opened up for the Makaha Son's of Niihau and Gabby was the featured performer to end the program. When I got off stage with my Gibson Archtop, my Mom brought Gabby over to meet me since they were childhood friends from Kakaako. I can remember him 'til this day when he held my right hand with his left hand and pointed to my heart with his right hand just slightly tapping my chest saying "Boy...play from your heart and the people will feel you...they will know and interpet what you are playing no matter if there is only one person in the audience...play from your heart"...I hugged him and told him I have always loved and admired his music and that's why I play....then he said: "good...keep playing Hawaiian Music...it's only thing besides the hula that we have that belongs to us". Whew....talk 'bout opportunity and honor to have such prestige Legends comment on my early life of Hawaiian Music. I always keep them in mind and heart and that is what comes out of my music I play today.

So Eric...give 'em...play the tabs...then memorize them and play without the tabs...that's where it comes....from the heart.

Aloha,
Thanks for the Reply...and to the Rest of the Taro Patch Ohana...Keep Up the Ki Ho Alu style...Aloha,
Don Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile
H--u--i, "Bruddah" Don

Im learning more and more about your beginings of kiho'alu. I remember it like it was yesterday, Ikaika and I, being there with Leonard, and the comment he made about playing "tacky,tacky,"(fancy).

I took that as a learning experience for me too.
Theres something about the Old time Slack key players, Even Uncle Raymond Kane mentioned one time, It's not how fast you can play, But it's how "sweet" you can make it sound.

You were very fortunate to have "Rub Shoulders" with these Masters. And today, you are playing along with the greats of kiho'alu! I wish you all the best "my bruddah" for kiho'alu, has come a long way..... And so have you!!!

Aloha, a hui hou!
"Bruddah" Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2002 :  10:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Bradah Kevin Brown,

THANK YOU BRADAH...VERY MUCH.

I hope you all had a swell time yesterday. I heard from Bill and Paul you guys will be there every Saturdays so next week Saturday I will be there. I going bring my new guitar I just bought. It's an Alvarez Koa Cutaway Electric/Acoustic with some mean EQ Preamp and Built-in Chromatic Tuner. So far, according to Alvarez, I'm holding the first model sold in Hawaii...it never even reached the stores in the WestCoast. I had it special ordered per my specs and had to wait since this past June. This is one of the best investments in my life and I already "ma'a". My son has been using it most of the time since I got it...finally he is beginning to play the guitar...especially since it's stuck in taropatch G.

Aloha to All...and to you my Bradah Kevin, MAHALO.

Don

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  01:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Sometimes you gotta just stop, savour the moment and thank God for these blessings and gifts...and in 'dis life' I am fortunate and honored to have the opportunity to be with these people. Much Thanks and Mahalos BIG TIME goes out to Kevin Brown who was responsible in linking me up with Milton Lau.
Whoo hoo! This is a great thread. So open and honest and shared with everyone here. Mahalo for sharing the stories, history, aloha for the music and other people. Sooo sweet. I'm speechless. A big thank you to everyone who is posting. You guys are da best!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  09:35:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:

So Eric...give 'em...play the tabs...then memorize them and play without the tabs...that's where it comes....from the heart.

Mahalo for the stories and life lessons, Don. They were encouraging and inspirational. And, just what I need to hear because, like I said, I get caught up in "imitating" a song instead of "playing" the song.

I guess you could say, you "scolded me" like they "scolded you". But, seriously, mahalo!

Peace, love and soul...

- eric
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000