Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Language forum?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  6:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Poll Question:
quote:
Originally posted by Bruddah Chrispy

Aloha kakou,

Would there be any interest in a forum for the Hawaiian language? There are times I have a question or observation and it would be nice to be able to chat about it, yeah?

Thanks for your post Bruddah Crispy. What do people think? You're encouraged to elaborate.

Results:
Yes   [88%] 90 votes
No   [4%] 4 votes
Maybe   [8%] 8 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 102 counted  »»   Last Vote: 07/16/2008 09:11:14 AM 

Andy

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  08:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Anyone interested in voting? I'm moving this temporarily to the 'Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music' forum in case more people see it here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile
I would be particularly nice to know what the words and phrases mean that are commonly used here.
mahalo (thank you) nui (very much)
n
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  2:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There is a breadth of knowledge here about guitars, music and slack key. There aren't many experts in the language however, and sometimes it's the blind leading the blind. With the exception of Sarah and a few others, most of us wouldn't be of much help. But it might be worth a try.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  3:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Good thing you picked a nice generic name like Taropatch, LOL.

I voted 'maybe' to reflect occasional curiosity but no overwhelming interest.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  06:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Actually, there are more than a couple of TaroPatch posters who
reveal a good depth of knowledge of the Hawaiian language.
(myself not included) Some of them do not post often, but we all
could learn a lot.

It is ALWAYS good to know what you are singing about!!

Ho'omaopopo kauko e na wahine a me na kanaka?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/04/2006 06:17:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
E kala mai, but, Lawrence, if you want to understand women and men, Hawai'ian language is not the issue. Mayhaps a forum on Mars/Venus, long necks/sound holes, dampening/active pick-ups, or something.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile
First language lesson -- there is no okina in the (English) word, Hawaiian.

As for a Hawaiian Language Forum, I agree with hapakid's statement about "the blind leading the blind". Without a native Hawaiian speaker in the mix to serve as moderator and expert, the perpetuation of erroneous information about `olelo Hawai`i could result.

Just my 2 cents...as one who yearns to learn.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile
What Lawrence said, "Ho'omaopopo kakou e na wahine a me na kanaka?" was asking in effect, "Do we understand, ladies and gentlemen?" The "e" before na wahine is important in meaning, indicating that the women and men are being addressed. I would have chosen to use kane instead of kanaka, however, especially in conjunction with wahine. Kanaka can be more like "person," but with kane there is no doubt and it's nice pairing of "opposites".

only my 2 cents...
-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  2:38:19 PM  Show Profile

Now that's more like it! Maika'i. I agree, kane would fit better than kanaka and perhaps there is a more Hawaiian idiomatic phrase that would fit even better, but I got the point across, and that is the main thing with learning any language.

Mahalo iâ `oe e Sarah!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/10/2006 2:40:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2006 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if Keola Donaghy (nahenahe.net) would be willing to assist? Andy?
Sure would enjoy his podcasts more if I knew what he was saying.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  06:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

Over the years I've participated in discussion forums that have included Surfing, Reef Aquariums, Politics, Slack Key, Gourmet Cooking, and probably quite a few others. About the only thing I'm actually an expert at is computer programming, and I don't participate in any forums concerning it.

If preventing the blind from leading the blind is a guiding principle, we might as well cancel this whole internet thing, because we've been violating that since the days of Usenet.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  07:28:04 AM  Show Profile
One thing we could do to diminish the blind leading the blind phenomenon is to cite our sources, when needed. We learn things from somewhere, and citing a reliable source would benefit us all. This would also save much discussion of points already well treated in various text books. Just a thought.

E Lawrence e, he mea iki.

aloha,
-Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  5:23:09 PM  Show Profile
So How about it Andy???

You got an overwhelming response in favor of an Olelo Forum!

In order not to duplicate some other Olelo sites you may want to make
the Forum Title "Mele Olelo" or "Hawaiian Song Interpretation" or
some such, so as to keep the Focus on the Language as it applies to
MUSIC. (since this is a Music Site).

That way, the subject will hover around trying to figure out what we
are singing, rather that lessons on the entire language range.

So what do you think, e Kanaka Nui??

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  05:15:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to it too!! Sarah - how interested are you in answering our needs? Just the salutations used here are a mystery until we catch on... And then I mix stuff up - like Kanaka - ? I didn't think Kanaka applied to Andy.... It took awhile before I got the intended meaning of malama pono too.
Mahalo nui to anyone who would help us out!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  05:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

The most important on-line aid is:

http://ulukau.olelo.hawaii.edu/english.php

This is a collection of interactive dictionaries and other good stuff. So, if you want to know what "malama", as in "E malama pono", just enter it into the dictionary and you first get:

4 entries found for malama. To select an entry, click it. (I know the macrons over the first "a" are gonna mess up because this site doesn't have the fonts), but you can deal with that here.

malama [Hawaiian Dictionary (Hwn to Eng)]
m#257;.lama [Hawaiian Dictionary (Hwn to Eng)]
m#257;lama [M#257;maka Kaiao (Hwn to Eng)]
m#257;lama [M#257;maka Kaiao (Hwn to Eng)]

Then you click on a result. You find out that the second result makes sense in the context of a salutation or other situation:

m#257;.lama

1. nvt. To take care of, tend, attend, care for, preserve, protect, beware, save, maintain; to keep or observe, as a taboo; to conduct, as a service; to serve, honor, as God; care, preservation, support, fidelity, loyalty; custodian, caretaker, keeper. Cf. makemake, m#257;lama hale, m#257;lama hele, m#257;lama moku, m#257;lama p#363;#699;olo, p#257;lama 1. M#257;lama #699;ana, custody. M#257;lama pono #699;ia, well cared for. M#257;lama pono! Be careful! Watch out! M#257;lama makua, one who cares for parents. M#257;lama wahine, caring for one's wife. M#257;lama i kou makua k#257;ne, honor your father. M#257;lama kauoha, obey orders. M#257;lama L#257; K#257;paki, keeping the Sabbath. #274; ku#699;u Akua, e m#257;lama au i#257;#699;oe ma ka no#699;ono#699;o, O my God, let me serve you in thought. O ka ho#699;olohe a me ka m#257;lama pono i ke aupuni, obedience and fidelity due the government. Ka m#257;lama #699;ole i k#333; ha#699;i ola, negligence of the lives of others. ho#699;o.m#257;.lama

a. Caus/sim.

b. (Cap.) Star name.

2. n. Pancreas.

3. (Cap.) n. Stroke in lua fighting. See below.

And you also see the example: Malama pono, which is what you were looking for.

Another very fun, and music oriented, way to learn some basics (and not so basic)is to log on to:

http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu/

Hawaiian language kumu (teacher)
Ekela Kaniaupio-Crozier promotes the
learning and appreciation of the Hawaiian
language through the study of various
Hawaiian mele (songs).

Click on the first one and you get Robert Cazimero and Pekelo having fun with Waikapu

http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu/

I forgot the URL for Auntie Dee's list of common Hawaiian terms and couldn't get it through Google. Anyone got it?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000