Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Field Recorders (pros/cons) experience?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chantyfan
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  2:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Came here through Mark's review of the R9 and I'm very interested in the discussion of field recorders that produce digital files. My Sony MD recorder has been around a while and could have seen a LOT more action if it weren't such a pain to carry around.

So to start off the discussion how PRO is too PRO? Marantz makes a digital recorder, but it looks a bit big.

Sony has one that looks similar in build to the Zoom H4 with an XY stereo mic configuration, but the list price is $2000. Does anyone know anything about that recorder?

The Eiderol R9 has been covered. The M-audio too. I know this is not really a gear or recording forum, but interestingly enough, you have the most informed/best spoken users.

>B

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I use the Marantz 670. The preamps are a bit noisy, and it won't fit in a pocket, but other than that I like it. In fact, the size is not usually a problem, and it keeps the unit from being dragged off the table by a mic cable or headphone cord. With good mics the unit is quite capable of recording true CD quality.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  02:45:49 AM  Show Profile
We are anxiously awaiting the Zoom H4, which I found out will hit the streets (web streets, mostly :-)on Oct. 3. On paper, it seems to avoid the problems you have read about in the reviews of the other field recorders. Besides it will be the least expensive.

Our main use of it will be as a handy recorder in the home for preserving arranging and composing ideas that seem to arise every day and then are instantly forgotten. So, it will be on the coffee table in the living room whenever Sarah noodles. Secondary use will be to record classes we sometimes take, or to hear our mistakes in practice. For these uses, really high audiophile quality sound won't be necessary, but ease of use, portability and no hardware/software failures will be. We almost certainly will not use any of our external mics, as a rule.

We just may spring for it before any reviews are out, since it is relatively cheap, and we could probably return a lemon to one of the outfits we deal with.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo -

So far I've reviwed both the M-Audio Microtrack & the Edirol R-09. JUst rec'd word from Samson (Zoom's parent company) that they shipped off a review unit of the new H4 - just in time for my trip back to Maui and Molokai` next month!

So if you can wait a bit, I'll have a reveiw of that one online in a short while. Even better, I believe Craig Patchet will also be taking a look at the Zoom, so you'll have two views.

In the meantime, read David Battino's comments on Voice Recorders here: http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2006/09/your_voice_recorder_questions.html

BTW: There's a review of the Sony deal somewhere on the O`Reilly site, but dang if I can find it!
Go to Top of Page

chantyfan
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Sweet!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's been hard to find quality information on some of these. Basically I'm looking for one that will do a little bit of both interview style recording for my voice lessons AND one that might be able to capture my choir or a local bar band with medium fidelity. Is it possible to have it all?
Go to Top of Page

chantyfan
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:19:25 PM  Show Profile
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2006/07/sony_pcmd1_a_podcasters_review.html

Here's The PCMD1 review on O'Riley.

~B
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  08:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo Ho -

Quik note: I rec'd the H4 a couple days ago. It looks interesting.
First impressions:

It's quite a bit bigger than either the 24/96 or the R-09 (6" X 2.75" X1.25" approx). Has built-in mics, plus Nutrik connectors for both 1/4" and XLR inputs. Tiny display, cheezy grafix, lightweight construction - but no more so than the M-audio or Edirol units.

Runs on AA batteries or power adaptor. Functions as a stereo or 4 track (!) recorder with lots of FX. Functions as a 2-in/2-out USB audio interface (!!). All the usual MP3 resolutions, plus WAVs up to 24/96. Full 48mV phantom. Bundled with both a windscreen and a strap-on mini-tripod adaptor.

I'll be doing extensive testing over the next month, so patience. But at first glance it looks pretty cool.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  11:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Mark,

I know your published review will become the primo source of info, as your others have been. But, if something important or unpleasant happens (like something breaks, or it needs a PROM update, or even something good, like the mics actually work) could you give us a hint of it here as work in progress?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  08:48:22 AM  Show Profile
I talked to a sales rep at Sweetwater today about the Zoom H4. He said that they had gotten in, and shipped, 40 preorderd H4s. They had expected 60 in the first batch, but the other 20 hadn't hit their system yet. They will also go to preorders. Those who preordered a month ago will have to wait about 2 weeks until Sweetwater gets their next promised batch of 150 - if they get them all.

Considering Sweetwater is only one Etailer among *very* many who have been getting preorders for the H4, this seems to me to be a fantastic reception for an unreviewed gadget costing $300. I am not sure what it means except that the paper specs, the $100 price advantage, and 30 day no-hassle return policies, make the H4 *very* attractive. I wouldn't have thought that there would be what must be thousands of people who would want or need one, although Sarah and I do.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  09:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Re: The Zoom H4... Although it claims to be a 4 track recorder, it seems it really can only record two tracks at a time. This makes it much less useful for field recording in my view. Field overdubbing perhaps. I need at least 4 channels at once for decent field recording (two close and two ambient or two PA and two ambient). For "handheld use" I will stick to the older MiniDisc until a true HandHeld four channel recorder at a decent price is available, otherwise My Laptop and a multichannel inteface is the best option.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/06/2006 09:17:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I like my Sony minidisc just fine. It makes good field recordings using a variety of microphones and is small and portable. The downsides are clumsy downloading software with DRM built in (why I will never buy Sony again) and it's not comfortable to hold in your hand because it's square and slippery. But at $200 for the unit alone, it was the cheaper option for me when I purchased it about a year ago. If you go the minidisc route, I suggest buying a used one and you don't really need the newer Hi-MD format, which takes 1gig discs instead of the smaller 300+mb versions. The smaller discs are much cheaper and work fine for recording.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sony ditched the built-in DRM in the MZ-RH1 minidisc recorders. As for the H4, my review unit's on its way and I had a chance to play with one briefly at a podcasting show last weekend. My latest comments are in the H4 topic:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4279

Right now I'm using a Marantz PMD660, which has the same problem with preamp noise as the 670, but you can buy them with upgraded preamps from www.oade.com. It's not as small as the H4, and not nearly as feature-packed, but for a basic recorder I like it a lot.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/06/2006 11:59:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  1:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo -

Reid and anyone else interested in the Zoom H4:

I've posted some important info about a known bug on the dedicated Zoom H4 discussion http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4279.

Henceforth I'll post my Zoom-y comments there. That way this topic can be about our expereinces with any and all field recorders.

Speaking of which:

quote:
I need at least 4 channels at once for decent field recording (two close and two ambient or two PA and two ambient).

Lawrence, what do you use? Wouldn't a mutitrack rig be called a remote recorder? Just wondering about semantics -- my def of field recording is "in a field." But I know many recording pros call any recording down outside a studio "in the field..."

BTW, I just got a Korg D-888 for review. 8 tracks, 8 virtual tracks, 8 input channels w/ EQ & phantom, FX, USB2, 40 gig hard drive. About the size & weight of a basic mini-mixer. Now that's a cool remote rig!

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  4:12:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
recording down outside a studio

Are we talking duck or goose feathers?

quote:
Just wondering about semantics

LOL,

Dog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  02:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for saving us grief, Mark. Keep on keepin' on to prevent us from getting ourselves in trouble :-)

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  08:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Are we talking duck or goose feathers?

Horse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic