Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Field Recorders (pros/cons) experience?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Lawrence, what do you use? Wouldn't a mutitrack rig be called a remote recorder?
Yes- Semantics...

In my mind a Remote Recorder is fairly large and could cover a large gig. In the old Daze (which you and I don't remember!?) the remote recorder was in a Truck and was called the Remote Truck. We pulled the thang up next to the stage and connected via snake.

Also in my mind, a Field Recorder is something you can carry and lug around "in the field", and it must be able to run off batteries. An example would be the Edirol R4. However, this thing was not quite right for my use: 1) It was too expensive, and 2) The upload to computer could be faster and better, 3) It should have a removable or pluggable hard drive. However it comes very close to being a fine unit!

Remote vesus field should have little to do with the number of channels. Early field recorders, such as the famous Nagra or Uher recorders were only single channel, so applying the "multi" definition, anything with more than ONE channel should not be called a field recorder. (after all stereo is multi!) Quad or more is just more multi.

I settled for the Edirol UA101 Half-Rack unit similar to the FA-101 but slightly improved. It was small (half rack) less than $500 and gives at least 8 channels in and out and can run on +12V supply. Connected to my LapTop it is luggable but not very practical to use with a shoulder strap setup. (strap rig envisioned, but not tried)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/09/2006 10:02:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000