Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Prairie Home Companion - Honolulu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  2:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Our Favorite Figure of Fun, Garrison Keillor, AKA Frog Face, will present a collection of our real favorites on his PHC program on Nov. 11 - this Sat here in CT on NPR - I don't know when your local NPR will broadcast it, but look.

Up front, Danny Carvalho, Oz's primo prodigy, will play slack key; Owana Salazar will play her stuff; and "Na Pali" will do their thing. Na Pali is my friend and yours, Pat Cockett (almost certainly wailing away on the `uke), and Carlos Andrade, and a few other talented Kaua`ians.

As an added attraction, you can either laugh or get angry at GK's mispronounciations of Hawaiian words and names. He always screws it up: like calling Keoki Kahumoku - "Ke Kui" or the Kamehameha Chorus KammyHammyHa. What jerks some English majors are (BTW, he screws up English words too, like "pawlms" for "palms - and that is the least of his transgressions). He is rich, though, and he does present people we love.

So, you might enjoy it. Especially Danny.

...Reid

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  6:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Such is to be expected from the Upper Midwest. A land of 2 seasons, shovel and swat, the state bird being the mosquito. Between winters too cold and prairies too vast, the myth of Scandinavian humor perseveres. Seattle has been called "Minneapolis sur mer". I'm just a Norwegian (and 1/2 Swede) bachelor window washer.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't know how many of you heard this, but it was really swell.

Danny is not just a trick guitar showman, he is the real musical deal. His playing showed obvious debts to Ozzie and Sonny (which he acknowledged in the traditional Hawaiian way), but his originality was up front, and his original composition (to his dog, no less) was as melodically and technically sophisticated (in the good sense) as I have ever heard. Simply great.

Owana was very quick witted, and her repartee actually flummoxed GK for a while. She played pieces from her jazzy repertoire that we all know.

Na Pali brought a few makawai with their first number - because that was the sound that made us all believers. The Full Monty. Old Fred, the real estate agent, sounded great on steel - believe it. Of course Pat and Andrade and Pancho never sound anything but themselves. The second number brought more makawai because it was Ko`olau; I have read his story in translation and Sarah in the original. The song is not killer but the story is.

Puamana sang and it was like old days in Lahaina. Luahine to da max.

GK even has taken pronounciation lessons: he actually sounded the v and the ` in Hawai`i. And, wonder of wonders, he pronounced Kamehameha properly. His vocal gaffes were limited to his inability with vowels in English. He talked about drinking sharry and talking to a woman named Marry and how wonderful Na Pali was with Taajz Mahawl, all from Kawye. BTW, he just masquerades as a Midwesterner - he is really a Manhattenite. He lives there in style, and in Europe. His New Yorker pieces are quite entertaining.

I probably won't get off his case, even though he made us happy for 2 hours - he got paid enough for it. The Poor Man's Plutocrat.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
Thanks for the heads up on the show from Hawai`i. I usually catch PHC on either Sat. night or Sun. morning. This time I heard it twice. Fred Lunt is one heck of a steel player. Danny's version of HAWAIIAN SOUL was really beautiful.
Aloha no,
Tommy
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  9:45:20 PM  Show Profile
What was that lovely/first song Na Pali shared?

Great show! PHC always plucks a funny string that resonates down deep in my Lutheran background.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  04:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
If you missed the show, hopefully it will be posted to the PHC archive soon.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile
The 11/11 show is there already. It's so nice they make all of the old shows available...in fact I just listened to the show I saw in Honolulu back in 1985...still good fun!

Don
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Don,

The song was Waiulu, also known as Awaiaulu or Waiaulu. Their version was indeed lovely, and with that special sound and feel that just sends me.

http://www.huapala.org/Waiaulu.html

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I caught the second half airing on Sunday morning, but have it all on tape for listening when time permits. It was a pleasant surprise to hear Puamana; earlier this summer, when Mihana was touring with Bill Tapia, she joined us on stage in Kalama when we performed the song "Pua Mana" - chicken-skin all 'round.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  8:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Sarah . . . a song so sweet they gave it three names!

Don
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  9:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Just a "heads up" for those searching for some of the songs mentioned. Sometimes you'll see "Waiulu"...or "Wai Ulu" -- or "Pua Mana"...or "Puamana". All this was determined by whoever wrote the liner notes and playlist for any album.

Arrrgghhh!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Auntie Maria, this is exactly what threw me off with this song. Interestingly (to me at least), it turns out I already had "Waiulu" in my songbook . . . because I liked Hui `Ohana's version a while back (but not enough to really work on it, I guess). Hearing the nice simple Na Pali version made me think I was looking for something new. It's amazing how a particular interpretation of standard can breath new life into a song!

If it takes multiple titles to insure fresh/diverse renditions, I can certainly learn to live with the ambiguity!

Don (oh my, I just realized that if I can only think of a few more interesting/relevant/mundane things to say I might actually graduate out of "aloha" to a more dignified level on this great board).

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  04:52:23 AM  Show Profile
GK's vowells are pure Minnesota (pronounced "Mennesota"). He does have a command of the "th", though. North and South Dakota, da 'aitches are silent.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  8:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Wasn't Danny Carvalho's Hawaiian Soul something! After hearing it on the webcast of the Honolulu SK Festival, I've just spent the last month learning it. So beautiful. And sad. And inspiring. I can't help but feel that George Helm's spirit is truly celebrated by it. And this by a 15 year old kid??? Incredible. Bravo to you, Danny.

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  06:05:22 AM  Show Profile
I misssed it...hope they post this PHC in the archives soon.
My picking associate, previously sorta tuned out to my ramblings about slack and Hawaiian, was raving...
They will be assimilated.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2006 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

I misssed it...hope they post this PHC in the archives soon.

It's available here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000