Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 'Ukulele Making a Comeback
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  12:02:34 PM  Show Profile
A very interesting article from University of Hawai`i;s Malamalama on-line magazine.

http://www.hawaii.edu/malamalama/2007/01/f1_ukulele.html

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2007 :  8:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Thanks for the reference. I enjoyed the article. But it seems like a book report. He is a fine reporter, but I don't think George Furukawa is an ukulele player. In regards to 'making a comeback', it has never left and has always been cool. The whole, true story of the uke is not in print yet.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:37:16 AM  Show Profile
I pity the fool who thinks the uke ain't cool.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  07:47:56 AM  Show Profile
WHAT! The Uke is making a COMEBACK??!!

Head for the Hills!

Nuxt thang ya knows those dang Banjers un Accordiuns miht get poplur aaghin... thehn whuddle we do?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/06/2007 4:31:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile

...Start a Hawaiian Bluegrass Polka band... THAT'S WHUT!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  8:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Lawrence-

I’m all over it. “Foggy Ko`olau Breakdown” with accordion backup.

Watch for my CD.

-Mike
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile
And of course, that fast number...

...The Lilikoi Blossom Express Polka!

Of course this is all in jest, I am very happy that the Uke is gaining
in popularity again. It is a sweet sounding instrument and fun to play!

I also like the accordion in it's Bandoneon form (with a good Tango)
and the Banjo ain't too bad if you don't let it out too much!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/07/2007 08:00:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
I've played "Ulupalakua" and "Blue Hawai'i" on the buttonbox, just to see if it was possible. Taropatch tuning works well for some zither tunes. Slipry1 told me that there are only 2 kinds of music, good and bad, and that he plays'em both! Ethnic music does have superior food compared to "pop" and "rock'n'roll".
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  2:17:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I've played "Ulupalakua" and "Blue Hawai'i" on the buttonbox, just to see if it was possible. Taropatch tuning works well for some zither tunes. Slipry1 told me that there are only 2 kinds of music, good and bad, and that he plays'em both! Ethnic music does have superior food compared to "pop" and "rock'n'roll".

Indeed I play 'em both! And sometime within seconds!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile
How 'bout ;'I Don't Want Her,You Can Have Her,She's To Kolohe For Me'. Seriously, I've been working on Hi'ilave,Radio Hula, and Koke'e on Mt. Dulcimer, and Ulili'e on banjo. I'm not ready to try what Jake Shimabukuro does on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but I'll try new ideas. If they work, I might even let somebody hear me! Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  07:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Seriously, I've been working on Hi'ilave,Radio Hula, and Koke'e on Mt. Dulcimer

Hey Paul -

You might want to check out my slack key dulcimer book -- Ke Kukima Polinahe ~ Polynesian and Hawaiian Music for Appalachian Dulcimer.

Tunes include Sanoe, Lei Ohu, Hi`ilawe, Nanea Kou Maka i ka Le`ale`a, Pauoa Liko ka Lehiua, and more.

I think dulcimer lends itself nicely to the style.

Learn more at: http://www.mark-o.com/

And here's an article I wrote about playing Hawaiian music on the dulcimer for Lois Hornbostle's Dulcimer Sessions back in 2004. It has examples and a couple free tabs you can download and mp3 files so you can hear what it sounds like: http://www.dulcimersessions.com/oct04/hawaiian.html

Always glad to hear we've got another convert!

cheers,
Mark

Edited by - Mark on 03/26/2007 08:08:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Mark - one swell web-site you have. You sure have lots of toys...all those pictures of your instruments could be dangerous, though. Paul might think he needs to emulate you. If so, he'll have to buy me a new house...no room in this one already.

But, Paul is not just another convert...he was playing Hawaiian stuff on dulcimer even afore we knew ye.

Plus Annie's knittiing patterns are way swell. Wish I could figure out how to knit so well. I am left handed and find it ever so hard to learn. But I did knit Paul a scarf before we were married -- I think I knitted in in late '72 or early '73, while he was working at a gas station for minimum wage. And he ended up marrying me anyway. What a nice guy!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 8 or 9. Not sure why, and it hasn't had any practical applications since then (I did knit a golf club cover for my Mom for Mother's Day one year), but I'd give anything to go back and have that time with her again.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  11:14:47 AM  Show Profile
Mark, I have Ke Kukima Polinahe- bought it last fall from your web site. And I tried to talk the organizer of the Buckeye Dulcimer Festival into bringing you in as an instructor next March, but she said next year's staff was already set. I'm going to keep working towards 2009. Keep the middle of March flexible. You could just sign up as a participant. By March all us Northern folks are suffering from Jam withdrawal. You probably have your hands full that time of year, with AMC. Just a thought, though. Ohio in March needs a little Aloha. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  07:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Paul -

and here I thought I was on a first name basis with anyone who buys my books...

Glad you have the book. Janita Baker has been playing some slack key stuff on dulcimer for years. Don't know if she's recorded anything, but she really has "the touch." There are a few more, too. Plus there's a guy in Honolulu, but he's mostly about what he calls "hillbilly" music. And Cindy Combs used to play dulcimer... and I'm trying to get Kevin Brown playing.

And Wanda -- Annie's left handed. I think she knits right handed and crochets left handed, tho'.

m

Edited by - Mark on 03/27/2007 07:11:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Janita Baker is on the staff for next year's Buckeye Dulcimer Festival. I have a swing/ blues CD of hers that's really good. Some folks think the Mt.Dulcimer is limited!If I ever run out of things to learn, I'll start over & see what mistakes I made.
Mark, you can use my first name anytime you want. But you doesn't have to call me Ray.

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 03/27/2007 5:05:38 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000