Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 'Ukulele Making a Comeback
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  08:47:10 AM  Show Profile
I am in the process of constructing my second ukulele. I'd like to get some feedback on the desirability or lack of, of radiusing the fingerboard. Classically constructed ukes don't usually don't have radiused fingerboards, whereas others may. Also any preference for connection of neck at the 12th fret verus 14th fret? At the 12th fret, the bridge is place lower on the bout than on a 14th fret model. How does this affect playability and sound? Thanks

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile
See what you started now, Wanda? This thread has gone all over the creation!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Smith

I am in the process of constructing my second ukulele.
Actually, ukulele MAKING has been making a strong comeback. It seems that there are many, many people making them these days.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Somebody gave Paul an `ukulele. At least I guess that is what it is. However, it looks just like a baby banjo -- open back, some kind of a drum head. Has a short `ukulele kine neck with 4 strings. Sounds real plunky like a banjo, too. He just strung it up and tuned it and I thought maybe I would learn how to play. Give it a shot, at least.

And, eh, John - no complain. Great fun to see what others think and have to say.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Sounds like you & Paul have been "blessed" with a banjo-uke, Wanda.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  11:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Somebody gave Paul an `ukulele. At least I guess that is what it is. However, it looks just like a baby banjo -- open back, some kind of a drum head. Has a short `ukulele kine neck with 4 strings.

Yep. It's a banjo uke, also known a ukulele banjo or banjo-lele. Popular in the 20s and 30s. Proably the leading player was the great British music hall artists George Fromby.

Currently all the rage for backing up old time fiddle tunes.

Plunk proudly!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  12:21:06 PM  Show Profile
I've decided it sounds crappy. Don't know who made it. No name on there. Were they ashamed to put their name on it? Don't know how old. Looks like wood is dried out. Way too plunky to suit my tastes. Paul doesn't mind, though. Yesterday was the first time he actually played it and amazed me...he went right in to playing `Ulili E, E Ku`u Morning Dew, On the Beach at Waikiki, Opae E and Sukiyaki. Never touched an `ukulele before! He is just one hunka hunka burning talent. Sounds better if he strums chords than plunking the tune.

He is away today at some old time banjo kanikapila...ala Grandpa Jones style. Here Rattler, here, here. I'm cooking the pipi stew (except with spatezle to serve it over)and like the good wife that I am, I'll have a hot meal waiting when he gets home.

Maybe I'll wait until we get to O`ahu to find an `ukulele I can handle. Maybe you guys can help. I do not want to spend much kala, in case I just noodle with it, plus my hands are all bunged up on-account of I have diabetes and I have nerve damage in my hands, so they do not stretch and move so well. I need something with a very easy action. At least with `ukulele, I won't have to move my fingers too far to make the chords or notes or whatever noise I can make. Or maybe I should stick with playing that which I play the best...the CD player (although I am not good at that either...too much electronics for me).

Paul's real banjo was made by by local guy Pete Smakula, who had a music store called "Goose Acres" where Paul used to kanikapila. Store closed now. Pete Smakula, who is 70, though it was time to quit cause profits were down...it was time to get out of the music business he said, and get back to building and riding motorcycles. At age 70! Sheesh. I rode behind Paul on his motorcycle ONE time, in the school yard behind his ma's house. I thought I was going to fall off every time he went around a curve. Scared the bejeebers out of me. Never rode it again. Hey, anyone want to buy an old 1970 Honda? I'm thinking it is maybe 450cc, but I really don't know. I don't think Paul has ridden it since our girls were born. Didn't want kids with no daddy. I'm funny like that I guess.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  2:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Paul bought aa new banjo a couple of years ago; he gets all the toys in our family. Therefore, I have decided to fight fire with fire. I have found the `ukulele for me. Just don't tell him I am buying it. Look at it and tell me what you think. I need your expert advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/c-1930-Martin-5K-Uke-Ukulele-Koa_W0QQitemZ140098756603QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16224QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mahalo for your kokua,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  11:16:13 AM  Show Profile
What, George Washington slept in that uke? That web page shoulda said April Fool at the end. Our house didn't cost that much, and it's WAY newer. I think it's time for a counter offer. Like maybe a new uke without all that one's history. One kolohe wahine. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 04/04/2007 4:00:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile
e Wanda,
For Real !!! Doesn't look like it comes with a pick-up and at that price. But if it's art you seek, then "Go for broke". I'd be afraid to play something that rich. Hey eBay has a seller of collectable ukuleles. I'm sure you've seen his eBay store. His ukuleles cost less, and you could get more than one if your're really going to spend that much. I chose to have a custom ukulele made for way way way less and hopefully by October I'll be learning to play the D-VI. Toys sure are fun. On the side what stocks did you invest in or was it a real estate deal that resulted in so much play money?
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I have found the `ukulele for me. Just don't tell him I am buying it. Look at it and tell me what you think. I need your expert advice.

Holy...!
Bloody...!
Jeez...!

Wanda, just because the DoD will pay $450 for a hammer doesn't mean that's what things really have to cost!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  07:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Just a small update on Uke Popularity...

The recent stockholders meeting of Berkshire Hathaway just concluded with a special treat for the attendees. The world's second or third richest man, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway....you know who.... (Warren Buffet), ended the meeting with a performance on Ukulele, whilst talking about his "new career" when he retires soon as CEO of B.H.

Part of his performance was played on Morning Edition this AM (PBS).

Of course, being such a rich man he had a perfect trio of female singers do the vocals for him, but he only strummed simple chords, no picking!

Hiram...

...quick, give him a call, he needs Uke picking lessons ASAP!!...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/07/2007 07:40:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Davey
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Davey's Homepage
Quote (regarding the banjo ukulele):
"I've decided it sounds crappy."

Funny -- that's the same thing fellow musicians tell me when I play frailing banjo.
Must be a "banjo thing."
Davey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000