Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A bad tourist idea??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  03:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Eh Retro - how you know about Parma, Ohio? Parma used to be the butt of jokes around here. Ha-ha -- Parma, Ohio is an inner ring suburb of Cleveland. It is not an Italian neighborhood, though. Back in the 50's & 60's it was the Polish ethnic area (eventually we became politically correct and called them "the certain ethnic joke"). Parma is about 8 miles due west from where we live. We also have Ravenna and Mantua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Our `ukulele group (SUPA) does a song called "Moon Over Parma," which makes reference to many Ohio towns, including Lindale & Solon (which, oddly enough, are also the names of places in the state where I grew up - Iowa.) Rumor has it Parma is also famed for those glass gazing globes that people put in their gardens. Oh, and flamingos. The plastic kind.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Retro - yes...the archetypical Parma home is a post-WW II bungalow with a chrome ball and pink plastic flamingo in the front flower bed. Lindale is famous because it has about 1/4 of a mile of freeway through it -- I-71, and they reduced the normal freeway speed limit by about 5 mph, so they could give tickets left and right. Biggest and worst speed trap ever. The village made about 90% of their income from speeding fines. Finally, the state stepped in and said they had no authority to change interstate highway speed limits. Lindale is about 15 miles northeast of us. Solon is one rich people neighborhood. Beautiful houses and lots of shopping and businesses. But here is one very singular thing -- we took a cruise several years ago from Honolulu to different Hawaiian islands and also to Fanning Island in Republic of Kiribati. The islanders set up tables to see handmade stuff to the cruise visitors, such as shark tooth knives and such. One of the ladies was wearing a t-shirt from Solon, OH home days. I was flabbergasted. I have no idea how she got it. Small world, eh. Solon is about 3 miles east of us. When Paul & I first got married we lived in an apartment right across the road from the Solon border. Back then Solon was very countrified. Now it is yuppie heaven with houses everywhere. Huge >$500,000 houses on tiny lots next to each other so you could hear the neighbors's toilet flush.

Where did you hear that song? Where can we get music/lyrics or recording? Sounds like one Paul needs to add to his repertoire. When he plays at the coffee shops and such, he does silly songs like "The Cockroach that Ate Cincinnati" and "Five Pounds of Possum in my Headlights Tonight", and "You stole my wife, you horse thief", and "Bovine Belching".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/24/2007 10:30:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  3:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Oh, we have a lot of songs in our repertoire that he would like, then. A couple members of the group have brought many, many novelty, old-time and vaudeville-style songs. If the private e-mail function is working here again, drop me a note, we can exchange e-mail addresses and I can send a few songs for Paul to try out. I may also put you in touch with the guy from Ohio who found "Moon Over Parma."
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  4:03:31 PM  Show Profile
Greg, I sent you an email, but this is the first I've caught about the email not working. Let me know if mine gets through. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  4:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Wait a minute- What's silly about You Stole My Wife,You Horsethief? And Possum is my most requested song. That's as close to a hit as I'll ever have! Now if I could just get the audience to stop that whole ripe tomato thing!

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 03/25/2007 4:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:20:17 PM  Show Profile
When Paul said "Possum" is as close to a hiut as he will ever have,.....not true! He does a very powerful song that usually leaves the audience stunned. He has performed it on a cruise ship passenger talent night, at the Ohio & Erie Canal Park, and even at the student ho`ike at Guitar Days at Davis & Elkins College. It is written by a Michiganer named Joel Mabus. It is called "Touch a Name on the Wall". You cannot listen to that song without getting chicken skin. Paul has made people weep with that song. I think from the musician point of view, he really cannot see the audience's reaction, but as an independent third party, I can see that whenever and wherever he does it, people are just blown away. Major mana in that song!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  07:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Greg, I sent you an email, but this is the first I've caught about the email not working. Let me know if mine gets through. Paul

Not yet - I haven't gotten anything. Oh, Andy...?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

[quote]Not yet - I haven't gotten anything. Oh, Andy...?

Yes, the email issue is still being worked on.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000