Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A bad tourist idea??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Menpachi Man,
I'm not certain there are any more spearfishermen now than there were 50 years ago. But there has been a growing shark encounter industry among dive boat operators and some divers seeking a thrill. I'm guessing it started here on the west coast of the mainland. The way they assure a good time is to throw in chunks of smelly meat so pretty soon they have a thrashing good show. When I loudly complained, they assured me that they go far from established and popular dive sites. Many of the sharks also have good ranges so that doesn't make me feel good at all. The same thing in Hawai'i. There are inherent risks in any environment, including when you are catching your next meal. The eel stories sound funny. Their teeth point inward and are very small so it is very hard to get bitten by one unless you stick an appendage into the mouth - like when going in to catch a lobster. The reef sharks are interesting to watch and are certainly not interested in something so big they can't deal with it like divers. But they come in very interested when something is going on - - - like some reef fish spawning. Pretty cool to watch - for divers, for rays, for sharks. Interestingly, a protected habitat does not continue to grow in the same balance because man has been a part of the balance for a very long time. Some of the fish grow bigger than you will see elsewhere, and there become fewer of some of the other fish.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Pua Kai:

Good to hear from another diver. Thanks for sharing. Good fun fo talk story eh? I agree with the range of the shark habitat. Some are long range patrollers. I agree, the reef sharks are alright, dey no boddah me. I still watch em jus like puhi's but not as much as da tigahs and hammahs. Also the sea turtles are more prevalent now due to federal protection which are favorite food for tigahs. So maybe tigahs and other sharks getting more prevalent too. I now see some monstahs turtles that I did not see before. Jus some non-scientific personnal observations.

Da Puhi: Gotta disagree! haha ... I get experience. Da teeth is way biggah den you tink, yep curved inward. After dey bite, can go way more inside da wound as they keep on biting like one small knife cuttin more and more. Heh, I hope I not grossing some people out. And if one big one (5-6 ft)get you, and clamp on da bone, you going makeh (die) if you cannot get free and go for air.

Wanda: I not akamai, I jus one lolo who don't know much. Try ask my sistah, she going say, "yea yea (wid one wry face), he went college long time (I was in college 12 yrs) but he still get plenny fo learn about oddah kine stuff." And puhi-paka, they actually realy shy. When cleaning fish I fed them the guts (yea yea, i know. associating puhi-people-food ... but not da same ting as wid sharks.)

I found this on Uluafishing.com.

I visit that forum a lot, never posted there though. I should share tho, got a menpachi forum under Whipping (fo people not familar, as not wot you thinking).

From da forum admin on da ulua forum, would definitely apply here.
http://www.hanapaa.com/bbforum/viewtopic.php?t=2991
Check points 2,3,4,5. Lots of people here stress to use da search (point 2). I dunno, maybe should be a sticky or read-me first on this site to remind people before posting.

From a moderator there: EveInTheSky
http://www.hanapaa.com/bbforum/viewtopic.php?t=2873
Maybe not all applicable but try substitute "slack-key" for "fishing" and slack-key players for fishermen in that post. Try substitute Andy(admin) for da moderator. You going tink ... hmmm ... make sense here too.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/17/2007 12:27:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  04:32:33 AM  Show Profile
An other though...

There are some impressively smart individual on this site. Most of the regular responders are very intelligent and some of the newer members are also very bright. You cannot deny that intelligence abouds here.
I, for one, like it better when we are applying that intelligence to ask and answer slack key and music-playing related questions. It seems that when the subjects turn to Hawaiian culture (social issues) for the sake of intillectual exploration, then that is when the problems start. One can almost see a launch sequence clock ticking down.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  06:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Bob,
There are also some of us who aren't PhDs.....
Some of us don't speak Hawaiian fluently.
Some of us aren't professional musicians.
Some don't even play slack key.
It's nice that you like music-related threads and therefor would respectfully suggest you avoid the "talk story" thread. Also, for anyone who doesn't like threads repeated, I would respectfully ask them to skip the thread and not feel compelled to answer.
Thank you menpachi man for the additional superstitions. I know one must give the first fish back to the sea, but like Wanda, never knew about bananas. Yah, pretty funny about spam... it seems to go everywhere.
I'm honored that Bob considers talking about spam an intellectual pursuit. Tee hee, for me, most everything here is for fun.
aloha all,
n
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Pua Kai:

I would be hard pressed to throw away my first big ahi, or ulua (smile). And sometimes I bend da rules: I wait until I catch one small menpachi (u'u) before throwing it back (kolohe smile). Some people offer it behind them to the unknown spirits or buried behind them (but then I still take it home afterwards).

Glenn

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/18/2007 09:45:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Menpachi - I don't think I ever caught any kine fish weighed over 2 lbs. or so. Mostly I get these little blue gills that wouldn't even be considered bait in Hawai`i. The worm bigger than they are.

My mother loved to fish. She swore that you had to spit on your worm when fishing or you wouldn't catch anything. And I am telling you that Paul and I would be fishing right next to her, whether from shore or on a boat, and she would catch fish and we wouldn't.

In small kid time, we were told that if we messed with a bird nest while eggs were in it, the devil would get us. One day when I was about 7 yrs. old, a birds nest was in a pine tree down low enough that I could stretch on my tiptoes and peek into it. Naturally, when I let the branch loose from pulling down to look into it, it snapped back and flung the nest, eggs and all, out onto the ground. The eggs broke. Next thing I know some old, bearded, wild haired man came around the bend with a big stick in his hands. I took out of there. That was the devil for sure. Never messed with another bird nest again. Dunno who he was. Don't care...he musta was the devil.

When Paul's grandma (immigrated from Calabria region of Italy) made anything with yeast dough (like gramma-style pizza----onolicious), she would say "faddah-son-holy ghost-kresh". We aren't sure what the "kresh" part was, but her dough always rose well.

If you threw a rock at a hornet's next, they could follow the trajectory back and come right after you.

If a turtle bit you, he wouldn't let loose until either the sun went down or it thundered. And it didn't matter if you put him in the dark (which we tried many different ways of doing -- wash tub over top of him, putting him in a closet, piling hay bales to enclose him. Well...we didn't let them bite us, we used a stick. It had to be a pretty good stick, too, or he would bite it right in half.

If you killed a water moccasin or other water snakes, you had better cut him in bunches of pieces or the "snake doctors" would sew him back together. The snake doctors, I found out after moving to Cleveland, were dragonflies.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/18/2007 11:41:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:04:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

My mother loved to fish. She swore that you had to spit on your worm when fishing or you wouldn't catch anything. And I am telling you that Paul and I would be fishing right next to her, whether from shore or on a boat, and she would catch fish and we wouldn't.

I learned couple of things from "Talk story".

1) Mika'ele educational treatise on bananas and boating/fishing. I did not know about that. I thought it was a local thing associated with spirits. But, I still not going to take my chances (heheh).
2) Wanda, loved your "talk story". Made me smile. I thought spitting on the bait was a local thing. Apparently not.
3) Other factors may be affecting shark behaviors than what I thought.

Mahalos for the education.

(what i say is jus me, i definitely not representing all locals)

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/18/2007 11:10:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Heee!!
I LOVE talk story!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  1:56:07 PM  Show Profile
On da so called "problems" (Bob's post)

One wise kupuna once told me (wen I was talking bad kine stuff):

Eh, you know ... (Listen to me ...)
Hell is one deep hole with plenty people suffering
Get one single rope going to heaven
But sad ting, dey get one hard time getting to heaven
You know why?
Because wen somebody try climb up ... da oddah guys pull his/her leg down.

Try remembah dis when discussing things you don't agree on.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/18/2007 2:55:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  12:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
The web site for carbon trading is carbonfund.org

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile
In case anyone's interested, 'kresh' meant raise. So: In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; "Raise." Gramma was partly commanding and partly asking for Divine intervention to make the dough rise. I'm not sure on the spelling of kresh. It may have been kretch. Have to ask my mother. Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Maybe a Calabrese variant of the Italian word "crescere" - to grow, to swell, to increase.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile
speaking of 'kresh' ... like to hear da rest of da story?

==========
Eh, you know ... (Listen to me ...)
Hell is one deep hole with plenty people suffering
Get one single rope going to heaven
But sad ting, dey get one hard time getting to heaven
You know why?
Because wen somebody try climb up ... da oddah guys pull his/her leg down.
=========
So, da boy who stay in hell ask da Kupuna, "How come dey do dat?"
Kupuna:
"Because da lazy guy no like climb on his own. He like you pull him up"
"Da jealous guy no like you go first"
"Da angry guy pull yo leg jus cause he mad"

So, da boy, he tink he smaht. He wait until noobodeh stay around. Den he climb da rope. But he struggle and struggle, but still he so tired he fall down. He no can undastand why.

He ask da Kupuna: "Eh, nobodeh stay, and I try climb da rope but I STILL no can."

Kupuna:
"eh boy. dat's because dey stay inside you too! Greed, anger, jealously, sloth, hate all stay inside you. Das why you so heavy. Not only oddah guys OUTSIDE stay pullin you down, dey stay inside you too"

And so da boy realizing da wisdom of da Kupuna tried real haard fo become one good person. And den, finally, he was so light dat he almost neva need da rope to get to heaven. Jus like one angel wid wings ....

(original story from my Kupuna voices of da past.)

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 03/22/2007 7:09:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  1:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Retro, you're probably right on the money. Ma always said her family spoke a dialect, not pure Italian. Every area had it's own dialect. When Italians got together, they usually understood each other enough to talk, but there were always differences. Ma was born in America; I don't think in her whole life (so far), she's ever been outside of Ohio for more than a week at one time. We, in our family, seem to drop the final vowel,or even sylable, from words. Parmesiana
becomes parmesian., for instance.I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the Italian at home, I know very little of it. I don't recall Dad speaking it. His family was from Sicilly, but came here well before he was born.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I don't think in her whole life (so far), she's ever been outside of Ohio for more than a week at one time.
Please...tell me she doesn't live near...(wait for it)...PARMA, Ohio? That would just be SO wrong...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000