Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Chasing tunes (and grinds) on O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We've been working our way around the calendar in our visits to O`ahu the last few years, and this year we're happy to try out the late spring. So far it's been perfect for me - low 80s during the day, mid 70s at night, brisk trades and drenching little 30 second showers a few times a day. My sweet Lynnie is obviously more local than me, she's complaining it's too cold <grin>.

As usual, we're staying out Kailua way. This afternoon was some kind of great kite surfing wind, the bay was full of kites and folks cutting back and forth across the water. An awesome sight, but it must get pretty hairy out there when the traffic gets heavy.

I've been telling Lynn that she had missed a peak evening when I went to the Aku Bone Lounge to catch Pilioha last year. She was sick and missed out on the sweet sweet music and the killer pupus. Tonight she got to experience it for herself, and she had to agree that I was not exaggerating. We listened to the new CD on the way over the Pali and it was wonderful, but these guys are so nice and so charismatic that no recording can capture the magic they bring to the stage.

The Aku Bone is a special place, too. Being a Palani-Come-Lately, I never got to experience the legendary Hawaiian music joints like Chuck's Cellar, but I suspect that the Bone is filling a similar niche. It's totally casual, down in Kaka`ako, and every time I've been there someone is having a party. Meanwhile the stage is bubbling with talent, at least when Pilioha is up there. We were excited to see our buddies Danny Lopes and Ike Ka`awa there ahead of us. It gave us a real feeling of coming home.

In case you haven't been to their web site: http://www.pilioha.com

Each of the guys in the band is a strong talent. They're all fine singers, and they've clearly worked _very_ hard on their material. They're doing totally tight three part falsetto harmonies as easily as breathing. On the instrumental side, Kalehua has that machine right hand that cranks out an unstoppable rhythm on the 12 string. Glenn is a colorful bass player, if you know what I mean - totally solid locking down the bottom, but throwing in very interesting walks and lines, similar to Nedward's style with Hui Ohana. And Kamuela must wear out a Martin a month, I mean he is all over the fretboard, tasteful but intricate, classic but energetic, and always giving it the round golden tone that comes from a _lot_ of hours of "jus press." He did plenty of show off stuff, like "Ghost Riders" and a very fast and funny "Maunaloa Slack Key" but in the very first tune (I should know the name but I don't) he spun my head around with some artificial harmonics that sounded so much like Feet Rogers licks I had to check to make sure they hadn't snuck in a steel player.

Oh, and did I mention the pupus?

We were initially disappointed that Mike and Led and Herb Jr. would be on the mainland during our first week or so here, but now we see it as an opportunity to check out musicians and venues we've missed in the past. So hopefully we'll have plenty more stories to tell about great Hawaiian music ... and pupus.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/26/2007 09:39:33 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  06:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Heads up all southern California taropatchers -- Pilioha will be performing with Raiatea Helm in Redondo Beach Sat Oct 20!! For details:
http://www.redondo.org/depts/recreation/facilities/rbpac/default.asp

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Great review, Fran! Do you write for a travel or entertainment magazine in your spare time? I envy you as I lived in Kailua for most of my life until we followed our kids and grandkids to Olympia, Washington. Keep the commentaries coming and maybe I can enjoy some of that great atmosphere again vicariously! We were there in May and expect to be back again in September for a wedding. Another Taropatch member lives in Kailua.....Doug Fitch. I did get over to his house late one evening on our last trip and jammed with him on his front porch.

Have fun!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  9:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, John, my ku`u Lynnie went by your former Kailua home with Mary today, they couldn't go in but Mary was bragging on your architectural skills.

I don't do any writing for money, but thanks. Ever since I discovered the internet (right after Al Gore invented it) I've enjoyed the contributions of others, so I try to do my part to make this virtual community fun and interesting.

I've been running into Doug off and on for a few years, in fact he introduced us to Mihana, one of the great characters of all times. We hope to hook up with a number of 'Patchers while we're here, and we'll be passing along all the sordid details.

We have a couple of friends in from San Francisco, just about the first time we've been able to entertain visitors from the mainland. It's so much fun to introduce them to "our" side of the island, and to see it fresh through their eyes. The majesty of the Ko`olaus had them gasping, and they were fascinated with the play of light on the clouds, water, and mountains. We went for a walk on Kailua Beach, then over to Big City Diner for some big plates. I think we've made some new converts.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Fran, we designed and built that home ourselves, lived in it for 14 years and made many fond memories there before we sold it. My wife and I shed a tear or two as we walked through the empty house and locked the door for the last time. With Mary's help, the house was sold a week after we listed it. We've become friends with the couple that bought it and they always ask my advice when they want to do something to the house. Incidentally, he plays the guitar and is now learning to play the upright bass.

Kailua and the entire windward side of the island really is a special place. All the years I lived there, I never tired of that morning drive through the Ko’olaus. The sun shining on the beautiful green folds of the mountains was always awe inspiring. Even on a rainy day it was gorgeous with the tips hidden in the clouds and the dozens of waterfalls working their way down the lush slopes. And after a long day at work, the tremendous view that greeted you as you exited the tunnel couldn’t help but relax you. It seemed like all the stresses of work were left on the other side. It was truly a sanctuary!

We too always enjoyed showing people “our” side of the island…..even strangers! I remember once when we had gone to see a tourist show in Waikiki and we overheard the couple next to us talking about what a disappointment their trip to Hawaii was. When we questioned them, they told us that they had never ventured away from Waikiki for all the days they had been there. We told them that they really hadn’t experienced the island yet and made arrangements to pick them up the next day. We drove them around the island, told them stories about the history of the islands and stopped at all of our favorite spots and fed them food that they probably wouldn’t have tried on their own. I’m sure that they left with a much better impression of Hawaii than they previously had.

I’m sure you’ve found all of the good places to eat in Kailua but I’ll mention a couple of our favorites. In addition to Big City Diner, we like the fried rice at Brent’s. We go to Buona Sera for great Italian food. It’s a small place owned by a young couple (he’s the cook, she’s the hostess) and they still remember us whenever we go back. Ted’s is a great place for burgers. Anyway, I’m getting to long-winded here. I’d better let you enjoy your trip!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  07:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for the tips, John. We've been to all of them except Brent's <grin>. I hope we manage to hook up some day. If you're ever in the SF Bay Area give us a shout, there are a few good places to eat in San Francisco.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Thanks for the tips, John. We've been to all of them except Brent's <grin>. I hope we manage to hook up some day. If you're ever in the SF Bay Area give us a shout, there are a few good places to eat in San Francisco.

We just may take you up on that offer some day. We have spent quite a bit of time in San Francisco Bay area over the years starting with basic training at Fort Ord a long time ago. I also had an uncle I was close to who lived on 21st and Geary for a long time but he passed away a few years ago. And as an architect in Hawaii, I attended a yearly trade show there (The Builders Show) every June and always brought my wife and daughter along. And my wife had a sister who lived in San Jose until she passed away a few years ago. And last, our son lived in Rancho Cordova for about six years until he moved here to Olympia about 4 years ago. So yes, I agree that there are many great places to eat there!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
I'll be on Oahu this week and staying up Haliewa way. I'll have my guitar and ukulele along to keep me occupied outside of work. Know of any slack key music on the north shore?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 04/29/2007 1:09:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  10:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mika`ele, I do not know of any slack key on the north shore. Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. We have some friends visiting from California, so we've been hitting the _fancy_ places the last couple of days. Alan Wong's measures up to the high standard of restaurants in San Francisco, and that's really saying something, but we've curtailed our music chase while they are here. Perhaps we can get together and pick a little after they leave on Tuesday. We'll be here for a few weeks yet. Shoot me some email at fguidry @ yahoo.com if you'd like to try to get together.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  9:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Shoots, I should have done something phone-number-wise to hook up with you, Mika`ele, we buzzed through Hale`iwa today. Our friends from San Fran had their last full day here so we took them 'round the island for the day. Up through the mansions of Kahala, out past Hanauma Bay, past Sandy's where Mike Ka`awa loves to body surf. A quick stop in Waimanalo for road food (Lynnie loves island snack food and infected our guests. He finished a whole bag of shrimp chips, she ate most of a bag of boiled peanuts.) We took the long way around so we could stay by the water, passing the He`eia docks on our way out to the Hygenic Store and out into the country side.

No trip through Kahuku can pass Giovanni's Shrimp Truck without stopping. The shrimp were exceptionally sweet and delicious today. Waves on the North Shore were very small, nobody catching rides at Sunset or Waimea.

If you don't know about the honu basking area between Waimea Bay and Hale`iva, don't read this, we're trying to keep it a secret. But the turtles were very active in the water right off shore, and two beautiful animals were up snoozing on the sand.

We roamed beautiful downtown Hale`iwa for a bit, then headed up 99 to Wahiawa. The pineapple plantation has been planted in coffee and what looked to this old southern boy like corn. We had great luck with the traffic on H2 and H1, just getting hung up for a few minutes at the curve before the Likelike, but the westbound traffic had already started to jam, so we dropped them at their hotel and headed for home to beat the worst of the rush.

Just as we turned off H1 onto the Pali we got a call from our Fearless Leader, Mr. Admin himself. He was a couple of blocks from our rental checking out the shave ice at Kailua Island Snow. We made pretty good time over the Pali and managed to hook up for a few minutes, show each other our guitars and recent tunes - man, that guy is _such_ a smooth picker. He sang a lovely "Koke`e" then headed out to rejoin his island family. Even though it was short, it was really sweet. I always feel inspired after listening to Andy play.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/30/2007 9:44:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Gee Fran, I am envious again......that sounds like a perfect island day, and getting together with Andy must have been like icing on the cake! Mahalo for sharing your adventures with all of us!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
John, I hate to keep doing this if it's making you envious ... but I can't help myself, I'm a victim of all the fun we're having <grin>.

Like today, which is May Day which is Lei Day!!! Our first Lei Day in the several years we've been visiting was absolutely beautiful and fun from beginning to end. We found free parking across the playing field from the bandstand and had a fine hike dodging sprinklers as we made our way toward the blue tents and the sound of music. First a cruise through the crafts booths, then I discovered the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association tent, where various players showed their stuff picking and sliding through hula classics, hapa haole foot tappers, and steel guitar instrumental favorites. Yeeeeeha!!

After a solid dose of steel we hit the food vendors where Lynnie found a nifty treat, a crisp fresh apple cut into wedges and drenched in gooey caramel - sort of a candy apple without the stick. Mmmm mmm mm. Can't wait to get home and fool with this idea. I decided to try something different from my regular mixed plate, and stopped at the India Cafe booth for some mahi masala. Not as spicy as I might have liked, but pretty darned good just the same.

Just as I finished up my lunch I felt my pocket buzz and sing - how _did_ we get along without cell phones?? It was Admin Andy calling to see if I was in the neighborhood, and to let me know the Makaha Sons were getting ready to play. After just a bit of roaming back and forth and one more phone call I found Andy and the group in a prime location under a bit of precious shade. I plopped down to enjoy a few tunes by the Sons - they sounded GREAT, and of course it was even more fun when shared with Andy and Lynette and her family. The my sweet Lynnie pointed out that the lei contest viewing line was getting a little shorter, so we scooted over to cook in the sun for over half an hour while we waited for our turn to see the winners of the many categories in the contest. Even the 8 year old category had some beautiful examples, and as we went down the slow moving line the floral creations grew more elaborate. We saw leis made by kids in various age groups, hat leis, an inspiring display of leis in island colors for each island, and finally ribbon leis. Lynnie was clicking away furiously, finding inspiration for her own ribbon lei work at every turn.

By the time we had gawked at all these beautiful creations we were toasted from the sun, so we reluctantly headed for home without staying for the rest of the music program. It was hard to pull ourselves away, but when we got back to the car we realized that we were ready for another meal and Ono Hawaiian Food was just up Kapahulu - another first after years of trying to squeeze in a visit. The timing was just right, enough after lunch that we didn't have to wait for a table. The food sure lived up the name: one day poi, lomi salmon, and luau squid really hit the spot dead center.

To top the day off we got to experience a real O`ahu phenomenon - H1 West at the very beginning of rush hour <grin>. A bit of a grind, but much easier to take with Keola Beamer on the stereo, and the Pali came up just before the really bad jam started.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, it was a pleasure to drop in on the Guidry hale in Kailua. I always enjoy Fran's playing and trying to figure out all these licks that he's picked up over the years. I even found out that Fran can sing as he shared a smooth Chamarita with us! Sorry our visit was cut short as it was getting late and we had dinner waiting for us at home. Hoping to get a chance to share some mele before we head home, Fran.

That was yesterday. Today we headed to Kapi`olani Park for May day festivities. Mahaka Sons performed a 45 minute set and shared stage time with Hoku Zuttermeister. The performance reminded me that I still haven't heard Hoku's recently released CD but need to! Other highlights included hula from local halaus including keiki hula.

We walked across the street to Waikiki for some snorkeling before returning to the Waikiki Shell for the 30th Annual May Day Concert. The Brothers Cazimero are consummate performers and the ultimate hosts of this annual show. It was a very interesting night. The first half went as planned featuring incredible hula from several haluas. The show included a tribute to Don Ho and this is where things took a turn for the unexpected. Ho's widow collapses after tribute hula. Nevertheless, it was very, very cool to be present for the 30th anniversary celebrating May Day.

Fran is correct that the sun was toasty. I saw a ton of great music today; and unfortunately, have the sunburned arms to prove it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Hope that you were able to catch Kelly Boy De Lima (Kapena) perform with his two daughters Kalena and Lilo. And Mom joined in twice doing hula. Kalena sang beautifully playing ukulele while Lilo backed up with harmonies, though Dad made sure Lilo got her chance to sing lead too. Kelly Boy was fantastic playing guitar. After their set which was before Makaha Sons, I bought Kapena's latest CD --Hawaiian Legacy-- which is an antholgy of Hawaiian songs. I love it, and De Lima family sold it at as Kelly Boy said "Wal-Mart price", actually I think better.
In the hands of Kalena De Lima and Raiatea the future of female Hawaiian falsetto is assured. Hopefully the future will see Kalena with her own CD.
BTW , Andy, also picked up Hoku's CD and it's definetly a must have.
Got a few more days here before I head back to SF Bay area.
Staying in Kaneohe practically underneath the Ko'olau. So inspiring I composed a mele dedicated to the family who gracioulsly open up their ohana.
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  2:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh forgot to mention that Lilo backed up Sis and Dad playing bass.
Aloha,
Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Genaro, I was wishing I'd brought sunscreen and a proper hat the whole time I was at the show so I could have caught more music. While the De Lima family was performing, though, I was under the tent where the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association was doing their show. I've seen listings for the De Lima family doing hula shows at a Waikiki hotel, and I hope to see them before we leave. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Today was a visit to Rollo Scheurenbrand, http://www.koaguitars.com/guitars.html where I borrowed some tools to tweak the action on my travel guitar. While I was there I drooled on Rollo's koa slabs, met a friend of his with a beautiful Brazilian Rosewood McCollum, and got a chance to play a couple of Rollo's spectacular `ukuleles. Oooohhhh my! Check out the gallery links at his web site if you like spectacular koa.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/03/2007 5:31:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: