Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Chasing tunes (and grinds) on O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  01:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
It's 11:59 PM, just barely still in a spectacular day of music. It all started with breakfast.

One of our buddies in Kailua hosts a soiree pretty regularly, so we stopped at Agnes's Portuguese Bakery and picked up a few fresh hot malasadas for our contribution. As guests arrived the table was covered with fruit, pastries, various goodies, but I never had a bite (darn, I wish I had a malasada right now!!) because an elderly gentleman arrived with his uke case and quickly unpacked a lovely taropatch (8 string) tenor. The distinctive "dreadnaught" square shoulder shape gave it away as a Sonny D, but this one was spruce topped, then decorated with rosewood scratch plates above and below the sound hole. The elegant gold tuners had their plating worn down by years of tweaking the pitch. This was clearly a well loved and well used uke. When we started to play I suggested the Ray Kane version of "Pua Sadinia" and my new friend mentioned that Uncle Ray really was his uncle!! He definitely had plenty of musical genes at his disposal. His pa`anis put my plucking to shame, he has a lovely intricate picking style and a very rich warm tone that made everything he played something special. We went back and forth, his choices were vocal numbers but his breaks were still strong, and when I called instrumental tunes he always had some good stuff to add. He told stories of playing with the greats in backyard parties, of trips to Punalu`u for weekend long jams, on and on between songs.

One of the special high points came when I started "Ke Aloha." After an instrumental chorus or two our hostess began singing and interspersed a translation with the Hawaiian lyrics, making the sweet love song accessible to everyone. All her guests were transfixed, and it felt so special to be providing music for her.

Toward the end of our all too brief session, Mr. Kane (Bernard) started up "Yellow Bird" which I've been working on lately, so I had to jump in. When he wound that up I started "Mockingbird Hill" and he immediately picked out an arrangement so sweet that I almost put my guitar down. An hour had flown by like a few minutes and we had to depart, but I hope to meet with him again before we leave the island.

I checked my cell phone as we left, and had voice mail from our beloved Admin. In short order we'd made arrangements to meet at Waimanolo Beach Park, and before lunch we were seated under some trees, gazing out at the crystalline aquamarine tones of Waimanalo Bay, picking through some favorites. Anyone who's heard Andy play knows how sweet and nahenahe his style is, and his technical abilities have taken leaps every time I meet him. Once again an hour just flew by and other appointments called, but we made plans to get together for a Waikiki show that evening.

I spent a couple of hours fiddling with the pickup in my new travel guitar (I think the thing is working now), then it was off to the Hyatt to finally hear Kaukahi. http://www.kaukahi.com/ I've seen Kawika Kahiapo and Walt Keale perform separately, but I expected great things from their quartet with Dean Wilhelm and Barrett Awai. We arrived late because the trip up the parking garage took longer than the trip over the Pali!! We still got great seats, though, because Mr. and Ms. Admin made us welcome at their table.

Even though I was expecting the spectacular, I was impressed when we heard the stunning vocal blend and imaginative arrangements these guys deliver. Kawika Kahiapo is a monster picker, and Walt Keale has really developed some dangerous `ukulele chops as well, but the vocals - Oh my!! Once again an hour flew by like a minute and the band was done. We barely had time to give our aloha to the band, buy a copy of the CD, and get the info on their upcoming gigs, because we were running late for our next adventure.

We had heard that Mike Kaawa was back in town after his mainland tour with Led, so we were pretty sure he'd be at the Honolulu Elks Club, right on the water just a little east of Waikiki. We scurried over, found a parking spot, checked in and paid for our parking sticker, and went inside to meet up with "the gang." Mike and Analu Aina were doing their inimitable thing in front of a bunch of familiar faces we meet at many O`ahu music events. I wound up sitting with Mike's dad, who attends many of his shows. The duo really cooked through their vast repertoire, with Mike doing musical visits to his favorite body surfing spots, historical points of interest, legendary love affairs, and varieties of lei, wind, and water. He was obviously glad to be back home, and celebrated with a terrific set.

After the break we spotted a familiar walk and a big guitar case coming through the door - Mr. Ledward Kaapana had arrived. Conveniently, there were three chairs and three mics set up, almost like somebody was expected, eh? By the second set most of the dinner crowd had left, and the smaller group of music nuts were treated to a looser (if you can imagine that) version of the recent duet tour, with the added benefit of Mr. Aina's heartbeat bass and sweet vocals added to the mix. I wish I could somehow let you hear the wonderful arrangement of "Koke`e that rose up around Analu's lead vocal, but if I could convey how incredible it really was, it would break your heart that you weren't there.

Sometime during the second set I began talking with a mother and daughter at the next table, and discovered that they were from the San Francisco Bay Area and had been at the Redwood City gig a couple of weeks ago. As we talked some more we realized that we had met at several Bay Area events and somehow it added a bit more to this magical evening. My sweet Lynn had the thrill of her hula life when Mike called her up and insisted that she dance a number - the guys pulled together a unique arrangement of "Papalina Lahilahi" with Analu on lead vocals and I've never seen her so radiant in her dancing.

The evening climaxed with "No Ke Ano Ahiahi," a tune that is chicken skin for me almost any time, but even more special in the hands of this trio. For a hana hou it was "12th Street Rag/Sweet Georgia Brown" and pau. The audience trickled out with big grins, knowing they had seen and heard something very special.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/05/2007 08:52:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  04:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Keep the travelogues coming, Fran, I'm enjoying it almost as much as you are! And mahalo for the link to Rollo Scheurenbrand's web site. I'll have to see if I can get down there when we go back home in September.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 05/05/2007 7:04:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  7:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
Peter sent me an email today. I have a lesson with him on Sunday late afternoon then head over to Honey's (?) I think it is to hear Mike Ka'awa and others. Maybe meet up with you there?

PS: The honu basking area is across the street from where I am staying. I was also out jogging this morning and stumbled upon the "Lost" beach set -- only ones there were some honu in the surf. The roosters wake me up every morning and the horses come over to the fence to hear me play until the bugs attack at sunset. (This is work?)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  11:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mika`ele,

I was unknowingly near you today. I spent the day snorkeling with the honu at Sharks Cove. The ocean was calm and glassy - the visibility just incredible.

Sorry not to have crossed paths. Sadly, it's time for me to head back east tomorrow.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  09:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mika`ele, Sunday at Honey's with Mike Kaawa does indeed feature "others." Usually including Analu Aina on amazing bass, Ocean Kaowili on bad jokes and slack key guitar, sometimes Paul Kim sliding the steel, and some guy named Eddie Kamae. Then you got your drop-ins. I've seen Brother Nolan, Owana Salazar, Kevin Brown, many great local players and singers I didn't know, occasionally Ledward stops in on his way to his Kona Brewing Co. gig. We will definitely be there, I think that gig may be the main reason we get on the plane <grin>. Be sure to bring your guitar, Mike will invite you up if you let him, and playing in front of _this_ audience is something you owe yourself.

Sounds like you found some of that country comfort over there on the North Shore. One of our early visits was a peaceful week at Waialua and I remember it fondly.

We should be pretty easy to find at Honey's, two shortish chubby haoles, one funny looking puffy black gig bag, great big grins. We hope you'll join us.

Andy, we'll miss you. Eric (mainkaukau) came by yesterday evening and mesmerized the mainland folks visiting us with his singing and playing. Part of our deal for renting this lovely cottage was to provide music, and when our host heard Eric going at it he told me I was definitely living up to our end of the bargain. Have a safe flight, all our aloha to Lynnette.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  10:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Fran,

Thanks for the great travelogue. I'll on on O'ahu later in the year fot 2 evenings, Thursday and Friday. Any suggestions for where to go for tunes? Mahalo!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Mark/Pops, we're talking embarrassment of riches here. We are big fans of Mike Kaawa and his crew, so on Friday we head to the Elks Club, east of Waikiki on Kalakaua for his show that starts at 7:30. Park, go in and sign in as a guest of the band, pay $5 for parking. Take the dash card back and leave it on the dash of your car, then have pupus or dinner while the Hawaiian Boy takes care of your musical needs.

Kaukahi (http://www.kaukahi.com) said they're going to be regulars at the Hyatt Waikiki 5-7PM , they played in the atrium when we saw them, no charge. We bought a couple of drinks so we could validate the parking, but I'm not sure it's even necessary. Beautiful venue, extraordinary music.

Later, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village back on the west end Jerry Santos performs with some buddies, billed as Olomana.

Chai's Island Bistro usually has some great artists performing: http://www.chaisislandbistro.com/entertainment.html

Auntie Genoa Keawe plays most Thursdays at the Waikiki Marriott: http://www.genoakeawe.com/frameset.performances.htm

We rely on the Honolulu Advertiser TGIF section for our main reference, available on the web at http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/en/tgifcal - if you browse through the listing you'll see just how many opportunities you'll have.

Have a great trip,
Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  04:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Fran!!!!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  06:30:55 AM  Show Profile
It was a regular "taropatch.net" convention at Honey's last night!!!
Count 'em:
Fran Guidry (and his wife)
Guke
Mika ele
Rendesvous1840
wcerto

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Our internet was down last night so I didn't get to post ahead of Mika`ele, but I did write up my thoughts, so forgive me if it's a bit non-sequiterized.

Sunday means Honey's. In fact, I sometimes think our whole island trip is about Honey's. Lynnie fell in love with Mike Kaawa the first time we saw him, sharing Ledward's stage at Kapono's several years back. She always has one of Mike's CDs in rotation in her car, and listening to Mike is often the catalyst for the next island trip.

Honey's is usually packed when we arrive, so we were surprised to be among the first ones there, maybe one or two other tables ahead of us. Shortly after we arrived Genaro (Guke) joined us and we kicked off the talk story. The crowd stayed pretty thin but we were pleased to see our new California friends from the Elks Club Friday night. Remember, folks, it's _easy_ to get to Honey's from Honolulu, just take H3 to the first Kane`ohe exit. If these malihini can do it, you can too.

Analu Aina must have had another booking, so Ocean set up on bass. Paul Kim was on hand, though, so we'd have plenty of sweeeeeeet steel. Mike was still struggling with the mainland bug from the recent tour, but he didn't want to miss a show. He had to conserve his energy though, so Ocean did a lot of the vocals, along with a few gorgeous falsetto numbers by Paul Kim. The first set featured several hapa haole tunes along with hula provided by audience members. Mike is the master of medley, so we got a few of his patented musical tours. Ocean introduced the couple at the front table as visitors from Cleveland, OH, and was surprised when they requested "Lei Nani."

Among the highlights of the second set was a unique (to me) version of "Hi`ilawe" with Ocean on vocals. Another high point was "Hene Hene Kou Aka," requested by our CaliFrisco friends. It turned out that a couple in attendance had a kane/wahine hula all ready to go for that number, and it was a hoot! Another local Auntie took the microphone with a little prodding, and sang a song she'd composed after an inspiring trip to Kaua`i. She started off acapella, but after a few bars Mike began creating an accompaniment - I was really impressed, because this was no two chord piece, it had some sophisticated changes and a fairly complex structure, but Mike could somehow sense the direction the singer was taking, and spontaneously created a backup part for her. Amazing!

I got a chance to try out the new travel guitar and as I got up Ocean explained Taropatch.net to the audience. Then he added that the Cleveland, OH folks (is that near Oklahoma City?) were also Taropatchers. It was, of course, Wanda and Paul! So the setup got interrupted while we did the meet and greet. Then my pickup still didn't do the job after my fiddling, so we wound up using the vocal mic - hey, there's no risk that I'm going to _sing_! I almost always do "Nanea Kou Maka I Ka Lealea" when I play with Mike, he has a killerific version on his "Hwn Groove" CD and he's the only one I know who sings it. This occasion was extra special because it was my first time to play the tune with Paul Kim, and he took a dynamite pa`ani. When Mike called hana hou I pulled out "Aloha Ia No O Maui" in honor of Ledward, and this time Paul Kim suprised my by doing the vocal - I don't think I've ever heard the lyrics. More of those little bumps all over my arms <grin>.

When I got back to our table, there was Mika`ele at the next one. Naturally we pulled him over to ours, and began to get acquainted. After a few more great numbers, Mike Kaawa called an early close, he was really hurting. We pressed Genaro and Mika`ele to join us for the trip over to Hawai`i Kai and Kona Brewing, where Led was playing. Guke decided he had to skip, but Mika`ele signed on to follow us over, and we headed out. When we got to KBC and through the door to the bar we were jolted by the sight of a slightly familiar guy playing alongside Ledward - it was none other than Nedward Kaapana sitting in. Seeing these two together was special to everyone in the audience, even listeners who didn't know the musicians were swept along by the magic of these brothers locking into their telepathic duet. I'm still buzzing with the thrill, something I never expected to see. Led's table was a sea of familiar faces including TPer Doug Fitch, who'd provided the guitar for Ned to play. And sure enough Mika`ele made it in time to catch a half dozen numbers, he sat in awe with the rest of us.

The ride back to Kailua was more magic - living near a big city we've forgotten how many and how bright the stars can be. We pulled out at a parking lot near Sandy's and reveled for a few moments in the intensity of the stellar display, then cruised home on a natural high from the music and the beauty of this place.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  12:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

and some guy named Eddie Kamae.
You too funny, Fran.
Got your CDs today - looking forward to listening sometime this week - mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile
Fran,
Did you get to ask Led or Ned when the last time the two of them had played together in public was? Let me know if you are cruising by Haliewa in the evening/late afternoon (gotta work sometime - ya know). I have my K22ce with me. The couple I am renting from are itching for a kanikapila -- Gary is building a shop in back where he intends to build ukuleles.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mike, I didn't ask them about their history, I just beamed and grinned and shook hands and acted your basic starstruck fool. Someone told Lynnie that the two brothers had not played together for nearly thirty years, but I'm not sure that's authoritative.

We'll definitely try to get up that way for a kani.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
When I visited Rollo Scheurenbrand for some help with my little travel guitar, he had a gorgeous CD playing by a local guy named Harry Koizumi. http://www.harrykoizumi.com Turns out Harry teaches as well as performing around O`ahu, so called him up and squeezed into his schedule for some insight into the subtleties of Uncle Raymond Kane's style.

Harry is such a sweet guy, very knowledgeable and very sharing. He showed me some of the details that set Uncle Ray's style apart, the particular slides, chord forms, and brushes that bring nahenahe to the sound. Harry is an all around musician, having studied classical, played rock for a number of years, and studying slack key with Uncle Raymond and steel guitar with the legendary Jerry Byrd. He is a buddy of Judge Geri as well and pulled out a breathtaking Weissenborn inspired acoustic steel that Judge Geri helped design.

Naturally Harry is listed in the links page here at the 'Patch, and I just checked to confirm that his CD is available at mele.com - I really recommend it. Harry does a beautiful job blending slack key, steel, and `ukulele on a nice assortment of instrumentals and vocals. His own compositions are really charming, just like the man. Harry's been mentioned here a couple of times before, let me add a thumbs up.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  5:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Fran, how much longer are you and the missus going to be on O`ahu? Cody Pueo Pata will be giving a free performance this Saturday 1pm Kahala Mall stage -- promoting is newest CD, "He Aloha...".

Kumu hula, musician, composer...with an awesome falsetto voice, too.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000