Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Chasing tunes (and grinds) on O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  6:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Fran, there's another guy in Kailua who teaches slack key. I think his name is Walter (?) Cravalho. He lives in Kalaheo near the high school.

It's great that you found Harry. My son took some lessons from him and I do have Harry's CD.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Fran, how much longer are you and the missus going to be on O`ahu? Cody Pueo Pata will be giving a free performance this Saturday 1pm Kahala Mall stage -- promoting is newest CD, "He Aloha...".

Kumu hula, musician, composer...with an awesome falsetto voice, too.

Eh, Auntie, aloha to you. Your tips are always good ones in my experience (No, Fran, you don't have to park 18 blocks from HHV to
park cheap, just use the valet you big dummy!)

We're here until the 24th of May - broke the bank paying for our rental and it _still_ isn't long enough, because we keep finding more things to do, meeting more people to visit, discovering new places to grind.

We saw Cody in San Fran a few years ago, gorgeous voice all right. Some of the ladies were commenting that he was moderately cute, as I recall <grin>. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep Lynnie away from there <grin>.

John, thanks for the reminder. Other people have recommend Walter Carvalho as well, but we haven't connected yet.

Last night was another example of the problem we face trying to stay long enough. We spent the early evening with our new friends, Bernard and Millie Kane. Bernard is my new favorite `ukulele player (sorry Herb Jr., David, and Jake). He's endlessly inventive and knows a million songs and plays with a twinkle in his eye that makes him irresistable.

But we had to tear ourselves away because Kawika Kahiapo and Walt Keale have a Wednesday duo gig at the Blu Water (NOT Blue Water - we web searched extensively with obvious _wrong_ spelling) Grill in Hawai`i Kai. When we arrived we discovered that there are plenty of Hawaiian music fans out on the East side - no seats left out on the lanai where the guys were playing. We found seats near the door and listened in as best we could until a table cleared - these two guys played for about three hours without a break!! And they played gooooood, too. Walt even pulled out a guitar for a few tunes, it seems to be something new for him, but with Kawika as a teacher - now that's the way to learn an instrument! His picking and strumming on his KoAloha tenor uke keeps getting stronger too.

With all the instrumental talent up there though, the vocals are the real draw. Kawika has this big sweet round expressive baritone that you can practically drown in, and Walt sings the family gene pool. Our buddies were saying that you can hear Iz, Skippy, and Moe every time Walt opens his mouth, and they were right. Mmmmm, getting those little bumps just thinking about it.

Walt will be having a CD release party next week or so for his new solo project. It will be sweet to hear his new tunes, he's also quite a songwriter.

Food at the Blu Water - OK, maybe a bit too Californified based on the few pupus we tried. The margaritas got plenty thumbs up, though.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/10/2007 09:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Good to know that the fun continues. Thanks Fran, I can continue my vacation by enjoying your adventures.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  11:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Eh, Andy, that was some fun at Waimanolo Beach Park. Thanks for getting us hooked up with Kawika and Walt and the gang. Seems like you and Lynnette hit the North Shore snorkel spots on the one good day. We plan to go every day until the morning surf report calls out 5 footers over there.

Tonight we finally hooked up with Kimo Hussey, he's been down in San Diego visiting Keith's `ukulele class. He raved about it at dinner tonight.

We finally had a chance to hear Ho`omalie http://www.hoomalie.com , the group put together by Kimo, Zanuck Lindsey, John Enos, and Lopaka Ho`opi`i. At this point I've run out of superlatives. Kimo actually took a degree in choral music before becoming a C-130 pilot, and the vocals these guys pull off are mind boggling. The arrangements are unusual, varied, startling, soothing, really compelling. All four are very expressive nahenahe vocalists capable of an inspired lead part, then the way they blend and separate, shift from unison to complex harmony, you just have to hear it to have any idea.

On the instrumental side, Kimo is a virtuoso uke player and Zanuck was also scary good on guitar. Lopaka stayed solid on the rhythm with his tenor uke, and John kept the bottom going on standup bass.

These guys are doing something very different with Hawaiian music. They're definitely not coming from the Sons of Hawai`i or Sunday Manoa folk rock side of things, nor do they sound at all like a changalang hula band or a 40s swing band. Kimo has told me that they set out to do something different, to present Hawaiian music in a different context than people are used to. In some ways they remind me of a very sophisticated smooth jazz group, drawing on west coast cool bop, some Latin flavors, even touches of R&B and rock. But words just do not convey the impact.

The setting was unusual - they performed interludes between a lecture on music therapy at the Pali Momi branch of Kapiolani Med Center. The room was pretty small, about 40 seats, and the music was completely acoustic, no mics, no amps, no PA. So intimate, so soothing, and yet invigorating. I know I'm just rambling here so I'll stop. But if you get a chance to see this group, and they plan to be in the SF Bay Area in September 07, I really recommend their music.

Oh, and Lynn says they're all hecka cute, so she found the show extra entertaining.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Hey Fran, I have some friends from Bend that are on Oahu right now. It sounds like you guys have been at some of the same shows together. They've been updating me via e-mail on their travels. They were also at Walter Keale's show. Small world yeah?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 05/11/2007 08:03:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  08:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Paul and I just finished our "Hele fo' da Mele" tour of Hawai`i. Sunday after we went there, we took in Martin Pahinui's show at the Waikiki Marriott. Oh, what a show that was! We met folks from the Steel Guitar convention. Met a fella from Australia and all his buddies from the convention. Got nice pictures of Paul and me with Martin. Martin is just about the sweetest, nicest fella you would ever want to meet. George Kuo is also a kind gentleman. Bobby Ingano can make the steel guitar sound like anything and everything. I am not certain who that was playing base for them (Aaron Mahi was not available that night). Then Mike Keale played a couple of songs out of the audience. It was just amazing. More and more friends came in and did a hulka or sang a song. Next night, Monday, we saw our fellow-TP'er, Ray Sowders at Tiki's. Ray is very talented and has a beautiful singing voice and a great stage presence. It was wonderful to finally meet him after all this e-mail correspondence. One thing he does that I think is unique and akamai is to give the audience a song "menu", showing some of the music in his repertoire. Smart idea to show the audience what you are capable of. (And great for my scrapbooking). Tuesday we went to the Shell for the Bros. Cazimero show. They were wonderful, as usual. Only bad was Don Ho's wife. Grief does bad things to people. Thursday we saw Aunty Genoa. What a gracious lady. So beautiful and dignified. But, put an `ukulele in her hand, and watch out! Wow, can she sing. Once again, like the Martin Pahinui show, lots of friends in the audience came up to play. Her steel player was Alan Akaka. Lots of hula from friends -- various Halau were in attendance. Saturday we went to Royal Hawaiian because Led was supposed to be there. Somehow, he was not. There was another band playing. Management told Paul Led was not there because of the Don Ho memorial -- that they needed the beach area, or something like that. The music was good, but whooo boy the prices for drinks and mediocre pupu. Sheesh. We did watch to see all the boats, canoes, surfboarders, etc. when putting Don's ashes in the sea. Later on, we listened to the tribute show from our hotel room lanai and watched it on TV. Sunday, we went to Honey's. Holy moley, the chicken skin. First of all, I I were a golfer, that would definitely be the place to golf -- oh so beautiful, with the Ko`olau all around. The music was spectacular. I am just crazy about Ocean Kaowili. He is a bit kolohe, and a lot cute. Shoulda asked get chance or wot? I just love when he closes his eyes and belts out a song in his beautiful voice. I felt very bad for Mike Kaawa. You could tell he was not feeling well. He was getting the hots and then the shivers, but he went on like a trooper. Paul Kim was great on the steel and boy oh boy can he sing the ki`eki`e. And how tickled was I to hear Ocean talking about a guy from Taro Patch.net going to play for us. It was none other than our own Fran Guidry! Hah! Had to give the aloha kisses before he played. Then after the show we met Kapena Mikaele and GUke and dem. How cool is that to travel half-way around the world and meet your Taro Patch buddies! Gives chicken skin. We didn't get to the Kona Brewing Co. for to see Ledward (now kicking myself). We went back to Waikiki for to see Martin one more time. I was a bit under the weather, so Paul went over there alone and had a good time once again with Martin.

Monday we went to Chai's Island Bistro, not only for the delicious food, but to see Jerry Santos and friends. Once again, fantastic music and great talk story with them afterward.

A highlight was meeting up with Kathleen Pahinui, Bla's ku`uipo. She said Bla is working on a new CD and will start in earnest in about a month along with his friend Milan, who I think is/was an engineer at Mountain Apple and another friend who plays mandolin and other blue grass kine stuff. She said Bla is going to make this his legacy and it will have all different types of music. Bla is a man of varied tastes and I am sure it will be a reflection of his soul.

Amongst all the music, we also went to the Bishop Museum, the Zoo and the Aquarium, and took a day driving around windward and north shore. Had the yummy shrimp at Giovanni's. And yes, we took pictures of Da Kine bail bonds.

All in all, we came home with such a warm feeling of Aloha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Great stories, Wanda. You sure were busy while you were there. Like they say, now you need a vacation from your vacation!

Mahalo for sharing!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  07:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Wanda, thanks for adding your adventures to the thread. You and Paul really made the rounds. That 'Patcher's Meeting at Honey's was such a hoot!

Yesterday we brought our Walnut Creek buddy along to see Led at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. As much as we loved the show at Kapono's, the setting at the RHH adds another dimension to the music. And I'm not just talking about the wahines-in-bakines, either. The sky, the sand, the ocean, Diamond Head, surfers standing tall and straight on long boards, all manner of ship and boat cruising by make up the breathtaking view.

Naturally at a hotel beach bar, many of the audience are not aware who they're hearing, but we've always met a few visitors at each gig who are Led fans. They usually have that same kid in a candy store look of awe when they realize that the CDs they've heard only hint at the experience of a live show.

The rest of the tables near the stage are usually filled with local Led Heads meeting and greeting and digging the man. These are the folks who provide the rah-rah for Hilo March, sing along with the I Kona era pieces, and request the obscure tunes.

It's fun to watch the rest of the audience, the ones who don't know who they're seeing and hearing, because they can't help but figure out at some point that there's a ton of talent behind the music. Yesterday the biggest reaction came during the second set, when Led started out on the `ukulele (still using the double puka Sonny D). He was in a medley kind of mood and put together about a 15 minute tour of mid tempo songs, some Hawaiian, some pop, some that might have been just Ledwardian flights of fantasy. Then he kicked it up a notch with another long medley, this one more uptempo and anchored by "Glass Ball." He wove in "Ku`u Ipo Onaona," "Rose of San Antone," and a piece whose name escapes me that evolved into a total virtuoso chord melody excursion that had even veteran Led Heads dropping jaws.

When that masterpiece was over I was suddenly aware that Led's ukes are in pristine condition in spite of the vigorous workout they receive. It's hard to imagine how the instrument survives, with thumb and fingerpicks moving sooo fast just a fraction of an inch from the face of the uke, but when I looked it over later I realized there was not the slightest scratch. I can just imagine how strongly he was taught to care for the family instruments when he first learned to play in Kalapana.

When Led invited me up to play a couple of numbers I took advantage of the opportunity to request "Lei Nani" so I could get Hope and Lynn to share a dance with us. I have to ask you, can it get any better than playing alongside Ledward while watching your spouse hula beachside at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/13/2007 08:18:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  10:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mother's Day at Honey's - one to remember. Still not as packed as on our visits last year, but the crowd was dressed up to party, and Uncle Eddie Kamae was in the house. Ocean is still on bass, and a special guest, Mr. Reginald Davis from Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawai`i, was on guitar. Mike Kaawa was almost back to full strength, and really seems to get the same charge the rest of us get from having "Pops" in the house. Paul Kim had his double neck Fender steel and his lovely new "HMSA" voice operating in fine style.

Mike led the band through a great set with plenty of Mother's Day humor from Ocean - you had to be there, the "jokes" just don't work unless you hear them in that Kaowili baritone. The set climaxed with Mr. Kamae taking a seat and going to work on his great big uke. The charisma he projects is just overwhelming, elevates an already great band to new heights and lifts the audience along with them.

The second set brought out the kumu hula to show their stuff. It's great fun to watch hula with a couple of dancers, they see the dance in a whole different way from the rest of us. I was a lot more prepared this time for my few minutes of playing with these monster musicians, with a preamp and plenty of cable and only got a minimal amount of ribbing and teasing from the guys. I had to ask for "Aloha Ia No O Maui" to hear Paul's vocal, then Mike suggested "No Ke Ano Ahiahi" and I foolishly agreed. If you know Michael's version, it starts off very slow and stately (my speed) then repeats very very uptempo (way past my speed!!). Naturally with those great players around me it was not obvious to the audience that I was totally in over my head. Mr. Davis ripped through a chorus that knocked us all out, he is a seriously hot picker.

The rest of the evening got wilder and wackier, with Kimo Kahoano, a local DJ, teaming up with Ocean to do an uproarious take on "No Hoohoo." Then more hula, more great music by the band and various guests, topped off by some more amazing singing and playing from Eddie Kamae. The only downer was that "my" dancers were too inhibited to show their stuff. Between the kumu hula in the audience, and their casual dress on this special occasion, they sat out the show.

Actually, there was one other little problem. The show ran over by about half an hour, so by the time we cruised through Waimanolo and around the east end to Hawai`i Kai, we arrived at Kona Brewing Company to catch the last half of Led's last song. Talking to folks we learned that we had missed Jerry Santos, Nedward Kaapana, and Lehua Kaapana Nash joining in. We also missed Led wailing on the big shiny National Tricone. Ooooohhh, whadda bummer.

See, this is the only problem with the current music scene on O`ahu - a serious embarrassment of riches. When we pick one show we're missing another, and a great one.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Monday we finally made it the Halekulani Hotel and the House Without a Key, their beachside outdoor/indoor bar and restaurant. The artist we went to see was Mrs. Kanoelehua Miller, once Miss Hawai`i and a profound dancer. We read a recommendation in an in-flight magazine on our last trip home and Lynnie has been after me to attend a performance since we arrived on O`ahu. Well, even with very high expectations, we were impressed. Lynn told me that she was overwhelmed with the many subtle details of Mrs. Miller's dancing, but she did catch and is practicing an arm movement that is almost unnoticeable yet very effective in adding emotion to the dance. Hmmmmm, this hula (and I'll bet, most all forms of art dance) is really deep stuff. Mrs. Miller dances every evening except Sunday and I sincerely recommend a visit.

I had hoped to interview the musicians, a trio of steel guitar, `ukulele, and stand-up bass, just to learn their names, but they were visiting friends so we didn't feel we should interrupt. The classic instrumentation and very smooth vocals really fit well with the dance.

Tonight, Tuesday, we managed a double header. We got to the Elks Club just a little after 5 and Mike and Analu were already starting their magical marvelous medleys. The double puka `ukulele and the silver haired gentleman in the long sleeved shirt sitting near the stage let us know that we were in for another special treat. We'd been listening to the latest Eddie Kamae and Friends CD on the way over the Pali, so we were primed, and these guys did not let us down. When Eddie joined Mike and Analu their trio sound was just explosive.

After the break Mike started up his cool minor to major arrangement of "Hilo Hanakahi" (at least I think it's his), then Analu joined in midway through. They romped through a few tunes including Lynn's favorite "Kula'ila'i" from Mike's "Hwn Boy" CD. Then he started the call ups. I got the nod and didn't really have time to tune before we were in the middle of "Nanea Ku Maka I Ka Lealea." Before I could suggest a tune Mike threw down the gauntlet - he just started one in C and I dropped my D string and tried to catch up. I was so adrenalined up that I can't even remember what the song was, although I recognized it when he played it - how's that for a reason not to get old <grin>. Before I could get away he started another one, "He`eia" and we had a lovely dancer up to distract the crowd. When that one ended I made a run for it!

The rest of the evening we had a fine singer from the audience doing "Papalina Lahilahi" for an equally fine, and very sassy, dancer. Yeeehaw! Then it was time for Mr. Kamae again, and once again he lifted an already excited audience up to another level. People walking out after dinner couldn't go by, they had to stop and try to absorb the some of the magic Eddie was generating. After two Hana Hou calls Eddie was just getting ready to unplug when Analu called another one!! The audience was just buzzing after that amazing performance.

We said our goodbyes and headed out to Hy's Steak House on Kuhio, where Herb Ohta, Jr. was playing a solo show. I wasn't sure about this one, but it turned out to be another memorable event. We got a seat in the lounge right in front of our buddy, and he played some beautiful stuff while we enjoyed a truly delicious rib-eye and a nice Sonoma Pinot Noir. This is a strictly background music gig, with no announcements or patter between songs, and at times I thought we might be the only people listening, but Herb wasn't holding back, he played with his usual gorgeous tone and smooth, rich style.

We had a chance to chat on Herb's break and when we told him about Uncle Eddie at the Elks he signed on for next week. In his next set he played several hula classics and just blew me away with the revoicings and arrangements he came up with - the songs were both familiar and totally fresh at the same time. Even his vamps were sophisticated, unusual, and yet totally Hawaiian. I think the guy is simply a master musician, besides being charming, nice, and way funny. He'll be off to the Island of Hawai`i this weekend for his workshop with Keoki Kahumoku, the folks who attend will be learning from one of the greats.

Fran

... OK ok ok ok ok ok ok, two late updates.

The tune Mike pulled on me was "Blue Hawaiian Moonlight." Yummy. I wish I could have just been listening instead of trying to figure out the changes and miss as many sour notes as possible.

And a tardy grinds report: Nico's at Pier 38. Get there early for good parking and quick service, by noon it was heavy traffic. Lynn had the catch of the day salad, an ahi steak on nalo greens, one of the best pieces of fish ever. My onion soup was also quite delicious. My plate of the day beef stir fry was fine but after I ordered I saw the fried ahi belly and all I could think of was what a boob I had been ordering beef at a fish place. Live, learn, die, forget.

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/16/2007 11:08:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  06:29:04 AM  Show Profile
Ahhhh, Fran!

Just caught up with your amazing music and foodalogue. Mahalo nui for bringing Oahu talents so close. Can almost smell the ocean, and that fish belly.......
I'm always on the outer islands, guess I'm gonna have to brave the traffic/people density/etc on Oahu to get to that terrific music. I'll try and post what's up on the Big Island and Maui next month.
ou hiu hou

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  10:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Eh, Cathe, I recommend www.vrbo.com, look for a B&B/cottage/spare bedroom type rental on the windward side. It's only 30 minutes over the Pali to catch shows on Waikiki, lots of music is away from downtown like the Aku Bone, Kona Brewing, Blu Water Grill, Honey's, Chai's at Aloha Tower. And the windward side is quieter than Kailua-Kona or Kihei, no joke.

There are a number of teachers on O`ahu as well. We were honored with a very nice visit from one of them yesterday, Peter Medeiros stopped by for a poke lunch and to share some of his musical and historical insights. His playing is so very rich, I kept stopping to listen when I should have been stealing <grin>. I think Peter has posted on the 'Patch about double slack G Wahine, but seeing him play a seemingly endless stream of charming figures in that tuning was really inspiring.

Our morning trip was out to the swap meet at Aloha Stadium. Pretty overwhelming, but what a cool place to get gifts to bring home, cheap sunglasses to wear in the water, and big big butt board shorts!! Who, me?

Yesterday evening we headed back to Hawai`i Kai, the Blu Water Grill, and some more great music by Kawika Kahiapo and Walt Keale. Walt is getting close to releasing his new solo CD and I think several of the tunes they played will be included. He described it as sounding like his growing up years in California's Central Valley blended into his Hawaiian heritage and current days. They guys presented several classic tunes in with a new twist, like an uptempo "Opae E" with a slight latin flavor. Absolutely intriguing.

One of the best moments of the evening was watching a local canoe club out for their practice session - there's something powerful about the sight of three outrigger canoes dancing across the water, each with a half dozen paddlers all working in unison. Just for a moment current day slips away and we could imagine this land before the tall ships came.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  08:35:44 AM  Show Profile
I concur on the VRBO Haliewa thing. I've been doing just that for almost a month. It is really quiet and so far away from people and traffic. The loudest noise is "Leghorn" the local rooster -- my reliable alarm clock. Email me if you would like a specific recommendation.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  02:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
A few days have piled up, here's a quick summary.

For some reason whenever I meet up with Peter Medeiros it seems like I never hear him perform a whole song by himself. On Friday I heard him do several including "Wai O Ke Aniani" and "`Ulili E." I was knocked out by the artistry in his performance. His guitar style was very full and active but always totally nahenahe. His tempos were startingly quick on some songs, but he pulled them off smoothly and sweetly. And his vocal has an ancient quality that is instant chicken skin for me. Ummm, thanks, Peter. And hana hou, please. Nice to spend some time with Mika`ele also, and to see his gorgeous Taylor.

Saturday Lynnie and I visited the Royal Hawaiian Hotel to enjoy a gorgeous day and some Certified Hawaiian Guitar Picker music. Hey, the drinks are expensive, the food is barely OK, most of the audience is totally clueless. BUT the parking is free, the view is exquisite, and the music Led plays is divine. I usually ask the people at the next table if they know of Led, or if they just lucked into his show. A surprising number of the front table people these days don't know who Led is, they just recognize that he's a tremendous artist.

We left early to meet non-music friends, expecting to see Led on Sunday at Kona Brewing. We actually planned to cut Honey's short (heresy!!!) to catch more of Led's show. But we learned at Honey's that Led had injured his finger (ow!!) and wouldn't be at Hawai`i Kai, so we stayed all the way through the show in Kane`ohe. And it was quite a night. The guests included a gentleman from the Island of Hawai`i, a local lady playing and singing stupendous blues, a visitor from Kaua`i, Owana Salazar, a sit-in bass player, and Mr. Eddie Kamae.

I've raved about Eddie many times, but he has that effect on me, and on others as well. His `ukulele style has some of the impact of Keith Richards's guitar playing. He uses sparse, seemingly simple moves to define and drive the song, and the audience and his fellow musicians can't help but respond. And he sings a heck of a lot better than Keef. And he looks a lot younger <grin>.

My little travel guitar got passed around a bit. During the first set our Big Island visitor used it in standard tuning. I'm sorry I didn't get his name onto my note pad, but during the break I complimented him on composing in Hawaiian. He told me that he'd grown up next door to three elderly Hawaiian gentleman who only spoke the language, so he absorbed it during his formative years.

The travel guitar passed to the blues guitarist, whom Mike called "Baby." She struggled with my little acoustic for the opening verses of "Stormy Monday" but when she took a solo she asked for her Strat, and then she really took off. Her blazing speed and the very vocal tone of her guitar reminded me of Buddy Guy. Her singing was from the gospel end of blues singing, very clear, powerful, and soulfully expressive.

After the break I played a couple of tunes in taropatch, then left the guitar on stage for Owana Salazar to borrow. Interestingly, I'd borrowed her Taylor the first or second time I went on stage at Honey's so it was cool to return the favor. She did a rip snorting instrumental and vocal version of "Hula Blues" complete with a modulation from G to C. Coool beans.

The evening closed with another great set by Eddie and the band. This is the beginning of the end of our visit to this beautiful place, these great artists, and we've left so many things undone. I guess we'd better start planning for the next one.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 05/21/2007 02:34:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  06:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Fran - you are my hero. You have paid all the proper respects to the island musicians. You have shown them how you appreciate their music and you have gifted them with yours in return. Aloha is ageless and timeless. Thank you for sharing your aloha. I hope the strength of your respect for the music has impacted the musicians so they know that what they are doing is powerful and much needed in today's world.

Mahalo for sharing your experiences with us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000