Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 15th Annual East Maui Taro Festival
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  12:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to a tip from Fran and a quick call to Uncle Kevin Brown, we made a spontaneous trip to Maui last weekend to attend the Taro Festival. It was a special weekend full of ono food, music, talk story and then doing it all over again! Mahalo nui to Uncle Kevin, Uncle Sheldon, Uncle Norman and Duke for all the hospitality.

It was such a privilage to join the Waihe`e jammers for such a fun time. We'd never stayed in Hana but friends always said that to truly enjoy the beauty of Hana, you have to stay overnight. We were so glad that we were finally able to do it. The Taro Festival was full of local foods and crafts, not the commercial vendors that I am used to seeing. I was dumbfounded to be up on stage with Milton, Sheldon, Pekelo, Duke, Kevin, Norman and Bob. What an incredible weekend. The taro has all been consumed but the memories will live on for a long time. I cannot say thank you enough to `Ohana Brown. Below are a few photos of the event.

For more info, visit www.tarofestival.org

Ps. I am in awe by how far Duke has come since meeting in 2001. His playing, singing and repertoire blew me away. Way to go Duke!

Pps. Sorry to have missed other Maui taropatchers. It was such quick trip that we were back on O`ahu in a flash.

Andy

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  03:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
andy, thanks for the pictures and story!

enviously,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Wow!!!!!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Just Wonderful! You are right about Duke, too. Lots of us were in Puna in 2001 and are blown away by the progress so many people we met there have made by now. There ought to be some sort of honor, as there is in pro sports, for people who become star quality musicians from rookie or journeyman status. Also, Sheldon has to be ranked Most Versatile - if it has strings, Sheldon can play it. And Kevin, and Pekelo (who can play lap steel, too - we saw him do it at Waihe`e). And you ain't chopped liver, either, my friend.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  8:34:33 PM  Show Profile
It truly was a weekend filled with aloha. So great to see Andy and Lynette again, and of course all the Waihe'e gang. We don't get together as often as we used to but when we do... wow... Thanks to all who made the long drive out to Hana to help us celebrate the 15th Taro Festival! I hope more of you out there in Taropatch-land will have an opportunity to travel to our end of the rainbow.

Aloha,
Duke
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  12:27:20 AM  Show Profile
It sure was a special day in Hana, blue sky's ono food, lot's of craft's, this was one of the best tarofest because of the weather. A lot of people came to support Hana's biggest event. Mahalo Duke for setting everything up, we all had a wonderful time. Andy you did a great job on your slack key solo, all the heads turned when you started playing "Ku'u Ipo Ona'Ona". For a second they thought it was Led, people were looking to see who was that playing. Maybe next year? if not Hana maybe Molokai?.

Lynnette if you come again next year i promise we won't eat chili everynight. Waianapanapa was cold but a time well spent. Andy you've come a long way too, I enjoyed our late night kanikapila, like sheldon said, "very clean". Fran mahalo for passing the word sorry you could'nt make it. The photo's brought back some wonderful moments, thanks for the pictures lynnette. Hope we can do it again in the near future.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000