Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hearing Each Other Play
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  3:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I’ve been thinking that it would be nice to hear what the others members of this group sound like. And I can’t afford one of them there camp things, so….
I would like to offer to coordinate in CD with a sample of each of our playing. I would suggest each of us interested pick 1 song which is typical of our style, send it to me on a CD, and I’ll compile the songs and send the new disks out to each participant. (I checked with a friend who is a copyright and patent attorney and he said that a CD like this would probably not violate copyright law if we all agree to just keep it among the participants, i.e. you only get a copy if you sent a song in, no additional copies given to friends, etc.) I don’t have good facilities to digitize from a tape, but if someone wants to do that step, we can enlarge the potential “pool” to include CD or tape submissions. The final CD would involve no editing. What you send in gets on the final CD. The only editing might be to try to even out overall volume levels so that we don’t have to keep resetting the volume switch on playback.
If there is sufficient interest, maybe we can set a deadline of Jan 31, 2003 for submission. Details to follow.
What you think?
Raymond
San Jose

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile

Sounds like how the RMMGA thing got started.
Am interested depending upon the details and
timing.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm ready anytime. And I'm also available if folks in the SF Bay Area want to do a recording but lack the means. Perhaps a recording get together in Walnut Creek???

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I can digitize tapes. With respect to "you only get a copy if you sent a song in," what about those of us who are at a stage in our learning process that you may not WANT to hear us play?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  8:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
I thought about that, but you know, every one of us (1) started at some time and (2) I would guess feel like we would like to play better. As far as I'm concerned, I would like to hear from people at all levels. Them better than me inspire me. Them first starting remind me and make me grateful to be on the path.

To ALL interested:
Either leave a note as a reply to me that you want in, or contact me at LSRS @ ix.netcom.com. (I will be away from 12/21 to 1/4.) Lay a track on a CD (.wav format) and send it to me at: Raymond Stovich,
467 Saratoga Ave., #129, San Jose, CA 95129.
I would suggest keeping under 4 minutes or thereabouts. Please include the name of the piece, author if you know it, arranger of your version, so we can give appropriate credits. Also include the tuning you are playing in and, if you like, the kind of guitar. I would also suggest a VERY SHORT statement of why you chose that piece. It would help me if you include your email or phone so that I can contact you if there is a problem. Whatever you send me will get burned and printed, but if I think there is an error in attribution, I'll contact you. It would help me if you include %5.00 or so to pay for the disk, case, mailer and postage.

For help recording or digitizing, see Fran's note and CRaig's note.

I'm open to comments or suggestions. I want to keep it simple -- just a way that we can do a little sharing and hear how each other plays.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  9:42:37 PM  Show Profile
COUNT ME IN !!

Sounds like a great idea. Of course, I'll be wanting my piece to be the first track on the CD :)

Guess I finally gotta figure out my Cakewalk computer program.

Hey JWN, notice the continuing lack of 'emoticons' :)

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  11:14:04 PM  Show Profile
That would be great stuff! Somebody (forget who) posted an arrangement they had made for the acoustic guitars group, and that was interesting to hear.

However, can I recommend putting it online at mp3.com, or on somebody's personal website? I think it would be easier for all involved, and definitely more people would hear it.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  12:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Jeff,
I chose to do it by a "subscription" method, i.e. each person who submits gets one copy, to ensure that there would be no copyright issues, as well as complications from royalties, etc. If everyone submitted their own composition, this would not be a problem. However, I suspect a high percentage of submissions will be of preexiting songs. This keeps it neat and simple. We're not "recording artists" just "friends sharing."
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  01:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Does the proposed "subscription" method also motivate more people to submit? Since this is a music community, it would be wonderful to hear some music!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  12:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm in, but remember I warned you.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Me (!) and Sarah, too. I will bet that mine will be less listened to than Craig's.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  6:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Reid:

What Brah?... nobody listen to you?

You like gonna play "Inna Gada da Vita" drum solo or somethin?!

Hey - jus get Sarah to play and say it was yours (remember not to let her sing - that would be a dead give away)!

Seriously - what is the timing here Raymond? - we are too busy till after Christmas to send anything in.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/17/2002 2:00:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  7:13:07 PM  Show Profile

John you mock me......the whole world mocks me
I'm in emoticon hell....colors everywhere ..I just....uhhh

Okay all better now. Thankyou drive thru

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2002 :  9:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i'm in! i won't be able to cut anything before the end of january though...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  02:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
now I HAVE to buy a non-plastic, computer-supplied microphone. And a pre.
If your guitar has a pickup go straight from the pre to the computer...no mic.

quote:
do you have space on a server anywhere where we could FTP
Hope you have a cable modem or DSL...we're talking, what, around 11MB per song minute for a WAV?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  02:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Can I suggest that we include the following with each song:

Name of song
Your name (and taropatch.net user id)
What guitar you played for the song
How the song was recorded, including pickup/mic/effects used
A little about yourself, including:
- How long you've played guitar
- How long you've played slack key
- Why you picked this song to submit

Anything else anyone can think of that might be of interest to everyone? Oh, and Raymond you should also make a rule that if your photo isn't in your user profile your song won't be included!

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000