Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hearing Each Other Play
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  03:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Glad there is interest in this thing.

As I see it one of the problems with other attempts to get a CD together is that a lot of people wanted a lot of "stuff" and things keep snowballing. So...

Here is what I am willing to do. (I'm open to "passing on the idea" to somebody else if they want to do anything else.)
I hope we get a wide range of experience and styles. That includes beginners -- it's great to hear new people coming into this realm -- as well as "experts." I would suggest you try to pick a piece that represents the slack key that you are playing now.
I will accept only songs which are sent to me on a CD in wav format. (I'll mail your disk back with the final compilation unless you specifiy not to.)
I'm not willing to type out a lot of stuff (I keep playing and working by limiting my typing- carpal tunnel issues.) If you want to include anything more than your name, song name, composer, arranger, tuning, and a 1 or 2 sentence statement of why you chose the song -- OK by me, but you must email me the text. I will simply cut and paste it onto the sheet I will include with your final disk.
Ok to go into Feb. My deadline will be Feb 15. No extensions primarily 'cause I want to get the project actually finished.
Final playing order will be decided by random draw.
I think my previous post went into details, but if you have a specific question, ask. (Please don't forget to notice that part about sending me $5 or so to cover materials and shipping.)
One final copy sent to each contributor, with the expectation that you will not make/distribute additional copies. (That is, unless you get permission from each contributor and pay royalties.) Don't want to honor the agreement, don't send me a CD.
Don't mean to seem hard***ed about this, but I just want to offer my services to create a medium for some simple sharing. Actually to satisfy my curiosity. I'm trying to do this in a way that honors legal and ethical obligations, is not too hard to create a submission for, and is reasonable for me to do with the little spare time I have.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Wow, this is a great idea and if we can pull this off, this is like jamming in cyberspace. But Raymond, this might be a little too hi-tech for me. How do I record my music on a CD and wav format? Do I need additional equipment with my video camera or tape recorder? I suppose I probably require a software to get all these into my PC? So far I can only do converting of CD's to MP3's and vice versa. Can you walk me (us?)through the basics; I've always wondered how to do these things cuz most of my favorite slack key music are in casette tapes. Bear with me if this is a silly question. Mahalo

ed

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  11:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ed, you can record to cassette then ask for assistance creating a .wav file. Cpatch has volunteered do the conversion, and I can do cassette and minidisk as well.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 12/15/2002 11:44:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  1:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have a publishing background, so I'm more than happy to compile all the info on each track, put it in a nice format, and provide Raymond with a PDF he can print out and include with each CD. Send your info to me at craig @ patchett.com. If you have a cassette or even a video tape that you want converted to WAV, send it to me at:

Craig Patchett
204-E N. El Camino Real, #545
Encinitas, CA 92024

Make sure you include your mailing address if you want the tape back. A SASE would be even better.

See my previous email for a suggestion of what information to include for your track.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  1:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
A few tech basics for creating a WAV file on a CD (on a PC-- the Mac version will differ in details if not the overall process).

Assuming you record to cassette or minidisc, getting the music into the computer is pretty straightforward IF you have the right hardware and software, to wit:

-A sound card with a line-in jack (mic-in will work as well, but levels are fussier) and a patch cord (probably a 1/8-inch stereo miniplug) to connect recorder to card.

-Software to control the sound card's inputs, recording levels, and so on; and a recording application. These programs and utilities usually come with the sound card or (if the card was bundled with the system or if the sound function is on the motherboard) as part of the original computer package.

-Enough free space on your hard drive for a *big* WAV file--about 10 meg per minute of music.

-A CD burner and burning application. Ditto for the bundled software, and again, there are plenty of shareware/freeware alternatives.

Process:

Use the patch cord to go from the line-out or headphone output of the recorder to the line-in or mic-in of the sound card.

The manuals will have the specifics for your system, but in SoundBlaster setups, you need to make sure that the line (or mic) input is turned on (via the card's software) and that the signal can be directed to the recording software. You also need to be able to control the record volume. For my SoundBlaster Live! card, the Creative Mixer handles those functions. I just leave the record-source selection set to "what you hear" and select the input I want to record from--this way, if I can hear it, the software will record it.

There are lots of choices for recording software, many of them shareware or even free. I use CoolEdit, which offers more editing power than I need, but is still pretty intuitive to use. (Other folks will have their own favorites and may want to make suggestions.)

Since the goal here is just to record a WAV file, you choose a 44.1K/stereo sample rate at the start and "SAVE AS" in WAV file format when you're finished.

The recording process is a virtual version of what you do with a tape or MD: click on a record button and watch the levels to avoid overload and distortion. If you're not going from the tape's line-out to the sound card's line-in, you may have to fiddle with the output level on the tape and/or the input level on the soundcard to get everything sounding right, and this is a matter of successive approximations.

Once you've got the file saved, you start the CD burner app, select the WAV file you've created, and burn a *data* CD of it (and maybe whatever text file you've put together for your liner notes).

Stuff in mailer. Write address. Apply postage. Wait for rave reviews.

Have I missed anything? There are certainly details and snags I haven't covered, but I think they will have to do with specific hardware-software setups.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  3:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond, will you accept a standard audio CD with one track on it from Mac users? I have yet to run across an easy way to convert AIFF to WAV on the Mac but it is easy to burn an AIFF to audio CD.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  5:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jwn,

that's lovely! it's a great way to do lyon's song. thank you for posting it. i tried hard, by the way, and heard no snoozing dogs in the background.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  7:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
Bravo JWN! Great arrangement.

Learned a lot today from these posts. Looks like we have 2 options but I'm going to try both during the Christmas holidays. I think I have or can have all the equipment required. Thanks again for the info!

ed

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2002 :  8:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Dear craig, jwn, and others,

I suppose a standard format CD will work. I don't know if recording to it from a MAC or a PC makes any difference, so I'll take your word for it. I guess if any CD player can play it, my computer should be able to read it. I'm going to use Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 to put it together. Craig, If you take the trouble to put together a PDF document, I will gladly include it. (If I'm sending out more than 2 or 3 packets, I will copy it in b&w to save money and my printer inks.)

Don't mean to be contentious, jwn, just dealing with my limitations.
If you want to add more flexibility to the project, maybe you could act as a "conduit" -- compile whatever people get to you in whatever format and either get it out yourself or send in to me on a CD in wav format and I'll complie it with whatever else I get and send it out. I just use a phone line and listening to music off the internet is just not worth the effort for me.

I'm trying to keep things simple with a goal of just getting a CD out to fellow taropactch.net-ers who want to participate. If that does not please anyone or multiple anyones -- then don't participate. I will simply send out a compilation copy to whomever participates -- be that 1 person, 10 people or more.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  12:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Great job with the mp3 jwn. Sounds fantastic!

BTW, thank you to all you guys volunteering your time and efforts to put this together. It should be a lot of fun. It is very enjoyable to hear each person play... the more people, styles and levels, the more fun it is to listen.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  01:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn
This was a single take... along with hiccups, goofs and probably my dog snoring off in the background. I was sittin' on a hard back, squeaky chair, right next to the CPU (so there's fan noise). My guitar is a Breedlove: Ed Gerhard Signature Model with D'addario strings.
What kind of dog?

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 12/16/2002 01:26:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  1:11:23 PM  Show Profile
I guess it would be nice if we had a central place to upload MP3's to so we could share the music that way. I think I understand Raymond's idea, which is to have something that will play back on any ordinary CD player. However, the tunes being submitted could easily surpass the capacity of one disc. Does Raymond want to make a multi-disc set? The nice thing about the web database is that the capacity can be essentially unlimited. However maybe some of us do not want to be that "public" with our stuff?

Anyway, something for discussion.

I (we maybe) should be able to send something to Raymond by mid-Feb.

A side note: I tried hawaiianmusicians.com which is a kind of jukebox site and I can see some of the problems with the on-line approach, including the uploading of copyrighted material, which then poses a liability for the host site.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/16/2002 1:31:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e kaua,

in trolling around the web, i've come across the boss BR-532 which looks like a way to do recording. i could even cut a multitrack version of something, and then add a drum and simulated bass track! i could end up sounding like a bad imitation of the studio version uncle led's "radio hula".

has anyone tried this device out? don, is this the machine you have?

thanks,
keith
(who's trying to finish off his xmas wish list )

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  2:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I think Raymond's original point in doing a CD was that it avoided copyright issues by limiting distribution. If he gets too many songs to fit on one CD, and doesn't want to do a multi-CD set, he can always convert the songs to MP3 and release a data CD with the MP3s on it.

Let's keep this as simple as possible so we a) avoid RMMGA's "can of worms", b) actually get it done, and c) make life as easy as possible for Raymond.

If the only thing you can is an MP3, email it me at craig @ patchett.com and I'll convert it.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  4:00:06 PM  Show Profile
If I get enough contributions to have to go to more than 1 disk, I will be thrilled to provide multiople disks. I will keep it to Cd format 'cause some of us, myself included, don't have a MP3 player other than, perhaps, on our cxomputer.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000