Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hearing Each Other Play
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
okay, i got access to the digital recorder and am going to try to record both dream slack key and ho'okipa paka (two of my latest instruments of torture) and see which sounds better. i can produce WAV files and will try to burn a CD.

raymond, craig and all, thanks again for volunteering to do this! it should be fun.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  6:58:49 PM  Show Profile
When I get back from Kauai (mid Jan), I'll see if I can beg/borrow some equipment to make a recording.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  8:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey dusty, i'll loan you mine! by then i'll have figured out how to use it... i hope you consider recording the song you keep trying to teach me.

i'll be back on 6 january, so just drop me a note or call me when you come back. will you be back in time for mark's lesson?

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2002 :  8:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'll be doing Kani Ki Ho`alu. It's the only one I can play from start to finish at the moment! (I have two others that are close.) But don't let that stop anyone else from doing it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  04:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey all!

Reading the last few posts...first off, John, yep, something weird happened for a couple of hours. I saw the counter clicking up, showing new posters.....but the same last message was on this thread anyway....kept saying cpatch, but no new post by Craig.

Friggin laptop.....okay, all better now..

Just wanna throw this out there.......Im going to submit to Raymond my own music. Call it Piffle slack key or something un Hawaiian sounding........cause I'm still a white boy living in Kalifornia.

I KNOW there are quite a few accomplished musicians out there.
Someone else needs to ante up and commit to sending in their own work.

.........Andy?.......its cold on the East coast..what are you doing in your spare time? Snowed in no doubt. Lots O time to practice.
You in?......comon' dare ya

(insert green colored emoticon showing rather smug expression bottom row, second from left)

Finally, I know technology is great and we all have MyiP74 and JMusiKBlaster 9000........and DSL and Pentium 7 thousands, and 49 gadzillion gigawatts of processor power....and etc ad naseaum...

but I'm thinking, it might just be easier to send Raymond a CD with your wav file on it.

love to you all,
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  10:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
.........Andy?.......its cold on the East coast..what are you doing in your spare time? Snowed in no doubt. Lots O time to practice. You in?......comon' dare ya
23 degrees outside this morning and I drove passed a lady jogging... she's nuts! No more snow, all rained away this weekend.

Gave song selection a thought last night and haven't decided yet. Pondered coming up with something of my own but leaning toward an arrangement of Akaka Falls which just sort of came out while noodling months ago.
quote:
Finally, I know technology is great and we all have MyiP74 and JMusiKBlaster 9000........and DSL and Pentium 7 thousands, and 49 gadzillion gigawatts of processor power....and etc ad naseaum...
Hey, don't make fun of my PII-266 and dial up connection. My brother was just asking me last night if I still use a 486. I'm looking to upgrade, okay?

CD is fine with me. I'm looking forward to this!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  11:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn
You're assuming a photo of me even exists.
Police sketch artist renderings are also acceptable.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 12/18/2002 3:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn
Now, I don't know who these other crackers are... hangers-on-ers I guess. I wasn't impressed with their prowess... heck they only knew 3 chords! And they couldn't fingerpick!!!
Yeah, and what's with those haircuts?! I could dunk one of 'em upside down in a pail of water and use him to clean the floor.

What's the world coming to? Bring back the fat guys with little guitars.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Just wanna throw this out there.......Im going to submit to Raymond my own music. Call it Piffle slack key or something un Hawaiian sounding........cause I'm still a white boy living in Kalifornia.

piffle's mele? mele o e haole i ka liponia?

i'm really eager to hear what we all pull together!

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  6:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Wow, sounds like you guys have 'way too much time on your hands...

Seriously, great idea. Raymond is a saint for offering it -- and putting up with all the really great ideas that keep, ummm, muddying the waters.

Here's a quick tech note: WAV and AIFF files are essentially identical -- the dif has to do with a little bit of code telling the 'puter what to do. Either one (also SDII, another audio file format) may be written to an audio CD; your computer will automatically append the correct header (or footer) when you rip the audio to your hard drive. So, if you have a MAC, simply burn your CD as an audio CD and Raymond will be able to deal with it -- no need to convert.

And that goes for stand-alone recorders, too. If its an audio CD, its fine.

Another thing: be sure you record at 44.1 kHz with a 16 bit word length -- that's the CD standard. (Let's not get into a tech discussion about bit depth and sample rate, OK? Yes, 24 bit 96 kHz sounds great -- but do you want to learn how to do effective sample rate conversion and fine tune your dither options? I don't think so.)

I'd suggest not worrying about the tech and just play from the heart.

Thanks a bunch, Raymond. You are a prince in my book.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  11:44:47 PM  Show Profile
she: where have you been all night?

me: uhh, I was like getting my dithers fine tuned or something...

Good to hear you again Mark, much aloha to you and Annie!

Okay 007 - dont think I didnt catch that fusilade of emoticons.

My laptop continues to mock me

Commander

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  8:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
count me in, ill give it a shot anyway.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2002 :  3:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Raymond, I'll give it a try too! Man, guess i gotta practice NOW.
Thanks for putting this together.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  04:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

I just placed my order for a large capsule condensor microphone (and of course a stand to hold the darn thing up) and a mixer (with preamps). ..
Woo hoo... this is gonna be so much fun.

Yep...I used this whole thing as an excuse to buy myself a Tascam PortaStudio 5 for Christmas (one nice thing about being divorced...I don't have to run these purchases past the wife!). Way too much fun!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2003 :  8:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
okay, i'm dyin' to know how it's going with you all. how many of us are going to submit something? what are you going to submit?

i had a lot of fun over christmas with my new four-track recorder; i did a version of hi'ilawe with two guitar tracks, a uke track and me singing. if you don't listen to that last track of me singing, it was pretty nice... i read all of fran's stuff on microphones, and i guess that will need to wait for another CD.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000