Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Slack Key & `Ukulele Workshops in So Cal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'll be driving down to Orange County for some workshops in September:

September 15th - I'm teaching beginning `ukulele, beginning slack key, beginning dulcimer and (gasp) not-so-beginning dulcimer at the Harvest Festival of Dulcimers, a delightful one day festival on the harbor in Dana Point. I'm also doing a short concert slot. www.scdh.org

September 16 - A pair of workshops at Trabuco Presbyterian Church, 31802 Las Amigas, Trabuco Canyon, 92679
1:00 - 2:30 Fingerstyle Solos for ‘Ukulele
Learn to play melodic solos on your uke. For intermediate/Advanced level players; you should know all your basic chords and strums. We’ll learn both chord-melody and Hawaiian-style melodic techniques. Music and TAB provided. Best for ‘ukulele with high G tuning, low G ukers welcome.

3:00 - 4:30 Slack Key Guitar
We’ll play in a couple of different tunings and learn some of the classic repertoire. The focus (as always) is on getting the proper feel and learning to play from the heart. Music and TAB provided.

You can register via my website: www.mark-o.com

Hope to see some of you there.

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2007 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to Mark Nelson for making the trek to SoCal. He along with others gave a free performance at lunchtime that was just excellent. He's well thought of and well-received in the dulcimer community.
And the introduction to slack key workshop he taught was also excellent. It was interesting, and was not a beginning class per se. After giving an introduction to taropatch, he moved to G-Wahine, or Double-Slack and used an excellent approach to giving an overview of what slack key is with embellishments etc, pointing the way in many directions for those who are in further pursuit. Also there from SCSKS were Ralph and Dusty; good to see both of them - and hear them play with Mark.
Again, Mahalo nui Mark, for coming down...
And yes, i did buy your book and CD - thanks!
nancy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  05:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mark, for a wonderful lunchtime concert - great choice of tunes - Nanea Kou Maka I Ka Le'ale'a, Malasadas (yum), Sleepwalk (YOWZA!!) and `Opihi Blues (my fav). Did I miss any?

The slack key workshop was outstanding! Sheila thought the `ukulele workshop was great. too. She raved about the Old Time dulcimer workshop.

Whew, that was a busy day for Mark. (He also did a beginning dulcimer workshop).

Notice the nice Jerry Nolte parlor guitar.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000