Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 The New Six String Ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  05:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Justin!
Let us know when you're coming so those of us who aren't regulars will be there too! Also - maybe kanikapila?
They let me play at open-mic and I'm a slack key beginner. You may play as short a session as you'd like. Long depends on how many others are there and would also like to play.
nancy
Go to Top of Page

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
I will be at the open mic on Oct 2. I have yet to hang out with any other slack key musicians besides myself. I am really looking forward jammin' and sharing the Aloha.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Justin

ka loku mele kaona
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Justin,
I know Keith plays Ulili 'E but he shows up average of every third or fourth week. The stage is small and can handle two people but we have to remember to bring the extra microphone.

Depends on how many people come by to play. Us regulars have been known to bow out to give special guests more time to play. On average we each play for about 30 minutes. Although, on occasion, it has been the 2.5 hour Chunky--Mike show, the 45 minute Open Mike, and the play until yer tired Chunky Monkey (Terry) show a couple of times.

My recommendation is be prepared to play what you want to play. The SCSKS is pretty accommodating. If you get there at 1800 we can make sure you know how to run the PA for your setup and decide when/how long you want to play. Actually, it sounds like I run things but I don't -- I just forget to order food until everyone else has, then have to play first. After that, everybody is just used to asking me who's next.

We don't ctriticize anyone's playing unless they ask -- we always clap, and in between our spam musubi, sushi, conversations, and beer -- we pay attention! The locale is low key. The owner loves having us there (more business). We have a few dedicated groupies. The food is good. Aside from the menehune feedback monster, things are real nahenahe.

Looking forward to having you join us. Now I have to get ready for tonight -- what was I going to play? . . . . . ::===(o )

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  9:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Technically, the D-VI's are fractional guitars. However, I don't get hung up on nomenclature technicalities. Similar instruments have been around for years.

I built my first D-VI at the request of Daniel. He was asking for years, but I didn't really give it much serious thought. I had some free time one day and I knew he was going to be in town, so I slapped one together and invited him to my parent's house to try it out. He ended up staying really late, so I had to kick him out, so I could go home. I modified the string spacing and body a little, and the current D-VI was born. Basically, Daniel was looking for something to travel with, that had more range than an ukulele, but not as large as a guitar.

In terms of playing, you get something between a guitar and ukulele. It's not so simple as saying "oh, it's just a little guitar." The voice of the instrument is more than an ukulele, but not quite a guitar. Although the chord shapes are identical to a guitar, but in a different key. I play both instruments, so adapting to the D-VI wasn't too hard. Guitar players will probably have an easier time than strict ukulele players, though.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  1:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Paul,
Good to see that you finally have a little free time to get on Taropatch!

*** Paul did a fantastic job on my D-VI. ***

I played it last night at Open Mike. Earlier I had played "Malasadas" in G Wahine tuning (DGDF#BD) on my Taylor nylon string guitar. Since I was not the only one interested, I later played "Malasadas" on the D-VI in C Wahine Tuning (GCGBEG). Differences?
* Since the pickups are different, there was some tonal differences as projected from the loudspeakers/PA. Since the volume of the guitar body is larger than the D-VI the tone was a little richer on the guitar. But I think the melody lines were crisper on the D-VI.
* Obviously, since the scale length is shorter and the two tunings are the same (in relative terms) the ukulele was higher (C Major 7th) than the guitar (G Major 7th).
* Other things are noticeable but not as obvious. Since the scale length is shorter on the D-VI the notes do not last as long -- less sustain. I had to pick up the tempo of the D-VI version or risk too much "dead air" in performance.
* Some of the parallel sixth scale runs starting at the 12th fret are more difficult to accomplish on the D-VI (my fingers need to go on a DIET). But they seemed to stand out more brightly on the D-VI.
* However, precisely because the sustain is shorter on the D-VI, I could add in some ukulele techniques to fill out the sound, for example "frailing" the turnaround slides on the first two strings by rapidly sliding the fingernail of my first finger across both strings. The same technique on the guitar seems to increase the volume level when I want a quiet transition and they tend to make the song "mushy".

I liked both versions and got applause for both. You'd have to ask Dusty or Bill if they preferred one over the other.

One thing I played on the guitar was a few songs in C6th Mauna Loa. In the words of George Kuo, I can make that guitar "cry" in that beautiful tuning. Now I have to try a similar relative tuning on the D-VI and see what happens -- it will probably make me cry.

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  2:31:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Paul,
Good to see that you finally have a little free time to get on Taropatch!

*** Paul did a fantastic job on my D-VI. ***

I played it last night at Open Mike. Earlier I had played "Malasadas" in G Wahine tuning (DGDF#BD) on my Taylor nylon string guitar. Since I was not the only one interested, I later played "Malasadas" on the D-VI in C Wahine Tuning (GCGBEG). Differences?
* Since the pickups are different, there was some tonal differences as projected from the loudspeakers/PA. Since the volume of the guitar body is larger than the D-VI the tone was a little richer on the guitar. But I think the melody lines were crisper on the D-VI.
* Obviously, since the scale length is shorter and the two tunings are the same (in relative terms) the ukulele was higher (C Major 7th) than the guitar (G Major 7th).
* Other things are noticeable but not as obvious. Since the scale length is shorter on the D-VI the notes do not last as long -- less sustain. I had to pick up the tempo of the D-VI version or risk too much "dead air" in performance.
* Some of the parallel sixth scale runs starting at the 12th fret are more difficult to accomplish on the D-VI (my fingers need to go on a DIET). But they seemed to stand out more brightly on the D-VI.
* However, precisely because the sustain is shorter on the D-VI, I could add in some ukulele techniques to fill out the sound, for example "frailing" the turnaround slides on the first two strings by rapidly sliding the fingernail of my first finger across both strings. The same technique on the guitar seems to increase the volume level when I want a quiet transition and they tend to make the song "mushy".

I liked both versions and got applause for both. You'd have to ask Dusty or Bill if they preferred one over the other.

One thing I played on the guitar was a few songs in C6th Mauna Loa. In the words of George Kuo, I can make that guitar "cry" in that beautiful tuning. Now I have to try a similar relative tuning on the D-VI and see what happens -- it will probably make me cry.

I mostly agree with your analysis. I think that the sustain with the D-VI is better with it plugged in than you think. I was really impressed with the rich bass you get with it.

As for which version of Malasadas I preferred, it's hard to say. You did a better job of playing on the Taylor (probably because of more familiarity with the instrument) but I also thought the version on the D-VI was very good too. I can tell you have been practicing.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mike! I can make myself cry in any tuning.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Paul,
You crack me up! How are things in the shop?
I had one ukulele player gushing all over my D-VI on Tuesday. I had to make sure it went home with me (just kidding).
How is your new performance stage working out at the factory? Are the acoustics as good as you guys thought they would be? Has Pops made any tenor size Sceptres?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000