Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 My newest Likeke tenor uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:16:17 AM  Show Profile
I just finished a tenor uke. It has top grade sitka top and koa sides/bottom, ebony peghead, fingerboard, bridge and binding. The inlay is pua abalone except for the logo which is white MOP, and the hibiscus is gold MOP. This Uke has a battery-less MISI preamp installed. It sounds great!
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/likekestrings/P1030540.jpg front
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/likekestrings/P1030541.jpg back
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/likekestrings/P1030542.jpg side
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc49/likekestrings/P1030546.jpg Peghead
Rich
likekestrings.com

Rich Smith

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  1:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous, gorgeous. Makes my mouth water!
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  2:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Rich,

Beautiful work! Really great!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  5:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Rich, I posted on FMM earlier. This is one sweet looking uke. I'm also getting ready to install the Mi-Si system in a couple of tenors I have going. Got any tips??

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  5:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Dominator, make sure your saddle slot is flat and your saddle makes perfect contact with the pickup. Also helps to keep the slot tight so that there is minimal saddle slant. You can email me if you'd like to discuss further. Regards Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  9:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see it in person. You will bring it to some of our jams ea?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  02:57:00 AM  Show Profile
That is gorgeous; spectacular. I love the fretboard end - it is very like the old Goodalls, which was a riff on a classical fretboard. I also really like the black binding. I have always thought that koa looks best with that. Is it ebony? And, if so, how did you bend it? (I know, very carefully :-).

Technical question: why the large area/mass of the bridge? Since the sound is transferred through rocking of the saddle/bridge complex, I would have thought that a high saddle and thin, narrow, longish, low mass bridge, like a classical guitar, would have been the way to go. What am I missing?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  03:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures! Can't wait tohear it!
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  03:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Noeau, I will bring it to the next kani on Oct 13th.
Reid, the design is a Hanalima design. Normally the bridge is cut back both sides of the saddle classical style. The pickup dictates the design of the bridge to a certain extent. The ends of the pickup cannot be exposed, so the saddle is carved more in the style of a Martin bridge. The pickup must be embedded in one end (past the point of contact with saddle) while the other end goes into the body past the end of the saddle. Actually the sound is not transferred through rocking of the saddle. With transducer pickups, the saddle must fit tightly in the slot and flat against the pickup. You may be able to download installation instructions for the pickup from http://mi-si.com/docs/trio.manual.pdf. The binding is ebony. It was bent in my fox-type bender that I use for bending the sides. It bends nicely, although if you've worked with ebony you know its brittle. Glad you like it.. Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  06:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Beautiful! I love the boom of a spruce top uke. Amazing work.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  3:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Your new uke makes it look like you've been doing this for years . . . but it's only #2!

I'm pretty sure if I tried my hand at uke-building it'd probably take me at least a dozen before one even began to RESEMBLE a `ukulele . . . at which point I'd have to start paying attention to issues like the sound . . .

Don
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  7:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Rich:

Wow, nice uke! Can you tell me more about this particular pickup and how it compares to other brands/types? Mahalo! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  05:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, I suggest you go to the mi-si.com site for info on various types of pickups. This is the first I have installed in a uke. I will be able to tell you more after I've played it for a while. Regards Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Howzit Rich,

Awesome looking uke!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:16:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

Aloha Rich:

Wow, nice uke! Can you tell me more about this particular pickup and how it compares to other brands/types? Mahalo! - Maggie

I had a double dot pickup put in my Kamaka tenor when it was getting repaired, and I like it a lot. I just went in to Dusty Strings and asked which one the pickup guy thought was best. Thanks for the video link, BTW.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  9:58:05 PM  Show Profile
E slipry is that the K&K they carry. I would like to hook that up with the MI-SI pre amp but I don't know if it is possible. I am trying to find alternatives to under the bridge ribbons because of the string noise that is also picked up. Also you can here a thunking from the fingers when the strings are plucked.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000