Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawai'i Aloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai...

I wanted to ask a question that I've had for a while but haven't asked you guys before:

About a year ago or so, I came across a CD on mele.com called "Island Days" by Horizon, but it is out of print now, I think. The last song on it is an acapella version of "Hawai'i Aloha" sung by one of the group members. However, it sounds like a pop song the way he sings it. I love it though, and so does Alana; I know that because I shared it with her on the phone once.... I recorded the clip so that I could still hear it whenever I wanted. The question is this: How do you guys think Hawaiian people would feel about that? Can it be answered, or will I have to share it with some of you first?

Mahalo nui loa!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  4:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Gotta hear it first. The song is sort of like an anthem but even the American one get all kine versions. Don't know how I'd feel till I heard it and i can't speak for all other Hawaiians.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, I for one never liked Jimi Hendrix doing the Star Spangled Banner. Just sounded like bad solder in his guitar, to me. Never liked when Roseanne Barr did the National Anthem at the Wrold Series game a while back. Or Macy Gray at the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH.

Some things are better left in the ways of traditions. But that's just my grumpy, fuddy-duddy opinion. I cannot see a rock & roll version of Amazing Grace or a Reggae version of Will the Circle Be Unbroken. That is even why on the new Iz CD "Wonderful World", I did not like how they used the horns in the fan fare at the beginning of I ke Alo o Iesu.

But Paul, now, he is a bit more kolohe. He does Stairway to Heaven to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  07:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Our Church group kids have alys done Amazing Grace to Gilligans Island. Didn't know you could do stairway to heaven have to try that one with the kids they will love it. I actually like Hendrix version of Star Spangled Banner might be because I am a Hendrix fan and my parents locked me in my room that week-end while my best friend went. :-( yea I am that old.
Most times I think the intent behind something is as important as the song. Is it done with respect or done to disrespect or denigred or lessen its meaning in some way. There are many religious chants and psalms that have been redone over the years and brought up to modern taste with out losing there meening or feeling. I agree that often it is all in the hearing and interprtaion.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  1:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Just to add to this theme,I knew a piano-bar player who just rocked with his Boogie Woogie version of Rock of Ages !! Of course he changed the arrangement when the Greek Bar Owner stormed down from his office.............Nancy,Do you remember the Buccaneer in Manhattan Beach??/

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Aloha ,By Nancy I mean Pua Kai.

BD1
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I'll send you an e-mail, Al.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  2:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I do Gilligan's lyrics to Stairway's tune. I have heard Amazing Grace done to the tune of House Of The Rising Sun. I agree with Wanda, some things should be left alone. Mix secular, but religious songs should be left to those who believe in the religion in question. It would be disrespectful of folks' beliefs. On the other hand, I have a cousin who all but worshipped the ground Jimmy Page walked on. He might take offence to Stairway to Gilligan's Island. Some years back there was a local group called Dread Zepplin doing Reggae versions of Zepplin tunes. Their lead singer was an Elvis Impersonator. My cous' was about beside himself with shock and loathing. I think he wanted vengence, or at least atonement.I have to agree, the intent of the performance makes a big difference, but religeon can create an arguement in a heartbeat. And we aren't always sure of each other's intent, are we?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 10/09/2007 2:46:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  09:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
With this take on "Hawai'i Aloha" that I mentioned before, he hardly changes the melody at all. He just adds and changes a few notes to make it sound like it was a pop song instead of a Hawaiian song. Also, his pronunciation is right on. I'll try to see if I can find it later and post it if I do.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  1:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Hmmm....then there's Nathan Aweau's solo electric bass version of the same song, from his "Bass Etude" CD.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
All right guys, here you go. I finally found the clip of the song that I was telling you about. Stand up, hold hands with someone else in the room, and prepare to be hooked!

E Alana, Kili, a me Auntie Maria, I know you all have heard it before. Everyone else... whatcha think?

http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/1686_12.mp3

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:34:45 PM  Show Profile
To show how we all differ, I could totaly see a rock version of Amazing Grace and especially a raggae version of Will The Circle Be Unbroken. I am not even a raggae fan but I can imagine it working very well.
Where should it be performed?
I think that could be more of an issue.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  02:40:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, in my unlearned, unschooled opinion, the clip that `Alika posted sound good-- nice voice and respectful singing of the song. To me, that is the important factor for this particular song. I have heard Amazing Grace done many different ways. I keep in mind why it was written -- a former captain of a slave ship was tormented by what he had done, and he was making atonement. As regards "Will the Circle be Unbroken" -- that song is almost sacred to me. In my culture, that is a song frequently sung at someone's funeral. I have joined in singing it at many of my family members' funerals over the years. Most recently Paul played on guitar and sang it at my father's funeral on Feb. 12. He did it very traditionally. All my aunts and extended family members were so impressed withPaul's playing and voice, but most of all they commented that he sang it "from the heart".

I am a stodgy old fuddy duddy who likes to keep to tradition. Some things are fittin' and some are not.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  10:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Well, in my unlearned, unschooled opinion, the clip that `Alika posted sound good-- nice voice and respectful singing of the song. To me, that is the important factor for this particular song. I have heard Amazing Grace done many different ways. I keep in mind why it was written -- a former captain of a slave ship was tormented by what he had done, and he was making atonement. As regards "Will the Circle be Unbroken" -- that song is almost sacred to me. In my culture, that is a song frequently sung at someone's funeral. I have joined in singing it at many of my family members' funerals over the years. Most recently Paul played on guitar and sang it at my father's funeral on Feb. 12. He did it very traditionally. All my aunts and extended family members were so impressed withPaul's playing and voice, but most of all they commented that he sang it "from the heart".

I am a stodgy old fuddy duddy who likes to keep to tradition. Some things are fittin' and some are not.

E Wanda, I wholeheartedly agree with your reaction to that version. I'm in love with his voice and wish I could get the CD. However, like Bill Wynne always says, "Why in the world is this out of print?"

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  2:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget:
quote:
One of the most beloved songs written by The Reverend Lorenzo Lyons, 1807-1886, also known as Makua Laiana, was taken from an old hymn, "I Left It All With Jesus," composed by James McGranahan (1840-1907).

So the melody is from a hymn (or himeni).

The version you provided stayed with the melody and was reverant. I can't see why it would be controversial.

I liked it!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kawikasurf
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Send kawikasurf a Yahoo! Message
I'm, not Hawaiian and therefore probably haven't the right to an opinion here but I tend to have a problem, in general, with the type of treatment rendered (skillfully) here. I'm certain it was done with respect and reverence but it strikes me in the way that those acapella jazz/blues renditions of the Star Spangled Banner do - it's as though the singer is saying, "Hey, forget about the song and just listen to my beautiful voice." Or maybe it's just sour grapes because I can't carry a tune in a bucket. In any case, I do feel the love expressed by the singer but I can't say I find it to be an improvement over the traditional rendition which conveys it's message so powerfully precisely because it is sweet, simple, and unadorned.

Edited by - kawikasurf on 02/19/2008 2:14:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000