Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawai'i Aloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  02:40:01 AM  Show Profile
The Amazing Grace version Rendesvous heard was probably by The Blind Boys of Alabama done to the tune of House of the Rising Sun. It sounds so way cool done like that, it gives me goose bumps! You have to hear it to believe it. After hearing that song, I will try anything to see if I like it before I give an opinion.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  4:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Any musician takes what they have been exposed to and mixes it as it comes from themselves. This is what becomes known as a persons style.It is possible for one person to closely copy another's style, and make a concerted effort not to deviate, but I don't see that as necessary, maybe not even propper. That job's already filled.Tribute bands don't make me run out to buy recordings. There needs to be something the player has put of themself in the mix.Gabby borrowed from 3 Dog Night, Clapton borrowed from Freddie King and Magic Sam, The Beatles from Little Richard and Chuck Berry. (And I steal from everybody.) But all added their own soul to the mix. In Old Time mountain music, certain songs are always played in certain keys. On the banjo, this frequently requires specific tunings.As many of these old songs derive their harmonic structure from drones, rather than chords, some songs tend to have a lot of similarity.But banjo-like drones are not what we expect when we listen to other types of music.In slack key, the harmonies frequently use only the 3 major chords from the key. This approach would bore most jazz players. We take what we hear, and add what we feel.Hopefully, in the end what comes out is truly ourselves.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Your opinion on that was very interesting, Kawika.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  03:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Being the most knowledgable and accomplished musician here, let me offer this.
We keep asking if the Hawaiians are ok with this or that, as if they are a dogmatic race unable or unwilling to accept variation. True, some hawaiians will gripe about it. But so what, as long as the piece is done well and you enjoy it. Musicians understand the process of rendering or expressing musical ideas. Non musicians cannot understand the subtlties and form opinions based on taste. I, for one, appreciate the old style music. But I would encourage everyone to also be creative and explore variation. That is living culture. Besides, why worry what the hawaiians say about a song written by a haole.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 04/12/2008 03:10:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile
I usta could carry a tune in a bucket, but now "there's a hole (puka) in the bucket, dear Liza, a hole."
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 04/13/2008 11:54:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  01:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Hiram:

I hope that your comment about your musicianship didn't hurt anyone else's feelings. It didn't hurt mine, but I would still like you to be cautious about what you say on here. I didn't see any aloha coming from you when you said that. No laila, I would very much appreciate it if Andy removed his post and this reply from this topic and pretend none of it was even said in the first place. Maopopo ia 'oe? (Do you understand? talking to Hiram) I hope you do understand and don't take this the wrong way. From now on only positive comments and aloha to the rest of this 'ohana, hiki no?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I try to avoid "meta" posts, and when I succumb to the temptation I'm almost always embarrassed later, but sometimes ...

One huge problem with this forum business is that we converse with people we haven't met. If you have spent time with Hiram, heard him play the `ukulele, guitar, or harmonica (never caught any piano, sorry), seen his amazing students in action, listened to his theories, heard his jokes, you "hear" his posts with a different ear. Comments that might seem a bit rude on the screen are different when you hear them in his voice, see the twinkle in his eye.

As I've progressed in my cooking adventures (my other passion besides Hawaiian music) I've discovered that the palate grows tired of the obviously yummy after a while, that interesting food is often a bit challenging - salty, spicy, even bitter is needed to keep the taste interesting. A diet of nothing but sweet grows dull.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  08:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Hiki no.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Aloha Fran,
I think I used to much salt in that one! Alexi is so serious, scolding a 53 year old hawaiian man! Besides, I was only halfway joking.
Alika...Forgive me. Your passion for hawaiiana is strong and healthy. Don't take offense at what I am trying to stir up in the taropatch. I hope there are others that understand what I do. But please don't close your eye to me. I represent the unfortunate hawaiians desperately trying to survive from day to day, who don't have the privledge to enjoy what a lot of people in the taropatch take for granted. I hope I get a chance to meet you someday and we could talk face to face without the cyberspace between us. Aloha...

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 04/14/2008 07:00:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  12:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Hiram,

Apology accepted. Maopopo ia'u ia 'oe. (I understand you.) I'm just too literal sometimes! Lol! Forgive me too.

'Ae, it would be fun to meet anyone from here!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  3:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, SSB as a litmus test?
A few --probably 10 years or more (as the clock flies)-- Wynton Marsalis (I'll be back after I spell check that one!) played the SSB before superbowl.

A superb version of an often hacked/poorly performed "sacred" tune.
The pianist was very untraditional, with...
Pure color untraditional jazz chords. BUT Wynton's trumpet was pure straight melody.
Also very clean, opaque, and stunning...
Needless to say, it worked for me. And even with my musical background, I'm not a big jazz person.
Anyway,
Music is subjective, and by nature subject to interpretation, arrangement, and change.
If it wasn't, it wouldn't be art.
With a traditional "hymn", you might make a few "tradition police" unhappy...but if it sings to some hearts, then the art factor is in play...the artist has reached hearts.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/25/2008 3:14:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  2:40:50 PM  Show Profile
Musical Interpretation. Very free and easy. Anyone out there trying to earn the title of music taliban? I hope not.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

music taliban
Something strangely oxymoronic about that phrase (considering the Taliban's attitudes towards music) - thanks, Al.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

All right guys, here you go. I finally found the clip of the song that I was telling you about. Stand up, hold hands with someone else in the room, and prepare to be hooked!

E Alana, Kili, a me Auntie Maria, I know you all have heard it before. Everyone else... whatcha think?

http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/1686_12.mp3

I know I'm late getting in here but I must say that I think it captures the soul of the song and would be accepted generally.
That said I think its great in its traditional version.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  2:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

All right guys, here you go. I finally found the clip of the song that I was telling you about. Stand up, hold hands with someone else in the room, and prepare to be hooked!

E Alana, Kili, a me Auntie Maria, I know you all have heard it before. Everyone else... whatcha think?

http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/1686_12.mp3

I know I'm late getting in here but I must say that I think it captures the soul of the song and would be accepted generally.
That said I think its great in its traditional version.

Not that I don't like the traditional version too. I do. That one just wowed me.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000