Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Nathan Aweau & Herb Ohta, Jr. CD Release Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DHCdesigns
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  07:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit DHCdesigns's Homepage
Hawaiian Music First:
Nathan Aweau & Herb Ohta, Jr. on Stage Together

Featuring Hula Halau I Ka Wai I Ka Hala of Oceanside

Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 5:00 pm

Carslbad Village Theatre

Nathan Aweau, most recognized today as a part of a multi-award winning, internationally known duo, Nathan has found success as a solo artist receiving his third Na Hoku Hanohano award for 2006 'Male Vocalist of the Year.' The electric bass is his instrument of choice, playing and arranging for 15 years with Don Ho. His love for contemporary jazz and Hawaiian standards are complemented by his amazing vocals in his latest 2007 CD release Ko`olau.

Herb Ohta, Jr., composer, producer, instructor and entertainer has recorded and performed with many of Hawaiian music's best. The son of `ukulele legend 'Ohta-san', Junior himself has over 12 CD projects in circulation; two with Grammy Award Winner Daniel Ho and three with Grammy Award winner Keoki Kahumoku. This six-time Na Hoku Hanohano Awards nominee and two-time Hawaii Music Award winner celebrates with us his long awaited seventh solo CD release `Ukulele Journey.

Carlsbad Village Theatre
2822 State Street
Carlsbad, CA 92008

Ticket Prices Includes a chance to win a KoAloha `Ukulele!
(one entry per ticket)

Presale:
$25.... General
$30.... VIP, first three rows

At the door:
$30.... General
$35.... VIP

Call To Order
Doug Katsumoto 310-339-7205

Edited by - DHCdesigns on 11/03/2007 09:02:33 AM

Susie Kagami
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  6:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susie Kagami's Homepage
With Hawaiian roots and bit of R&B and smooth Jazz (Nathan won the Na Hoku for best Jazz Album for his solo release 'Bass Etude'), we are so excited to bring Nathan and Herb on stage together!!! Come join us and help us give Nathan a huge welcome on his is first ever mainland solo tour.

Bass, Vocals,and Ukulele on stage together for the first time ever. These two are such incredible artists and amazing people that I wanted to share their aloha spirit and their unique sound with as many as I could. Both are celebrating the release of solo CD projects as mentioned in the press release below.

It is always so fantastic to see taro patchers at these events. Thanks Andy for keeping this forum alive and thanks to all of you for your continued support of all Hawaiian music! Also HUGE thanks to Doug Katsumoto, Gregg Porter, the Gota and Kai family for all their support and aloha!

Mahalo and hope to see you there!
Susie

PRESS RELEASE

SAN FRANCISCO (October 5, 2007) – `Ukulele master and international recording artist Herb Ohta, Jr., and three-time award-winning vocalist of the year, Nathan Aweau, embark on a five-city West Coast tour to celebrate the release of their latest CD projects. Herb and Nathan bring to the stage an eclectic medley of their own originals and traditional Hawaiian standards influenced by their love of Hawai`i, world music and contemporary jazz. The tour, presented by Hawaii Music Live, begins on November 6 in Seattle, WA, and will then proceed south to Hayward, Sacramento, Carlsbad and Watsonville, CA. To help bring the songs to life, each show will feature local hula dancers. For tickets and more information, visit www.HawaiiMusicLive.com.

Herb Ohta, Jr., is considered to be one of today’s most prolific `ukulele masters. Influenced by Jazz, R&B, Latin and Brazilian music, he puts his stamp on Hawaiian music by pushing the limits of tone and technique on this beautiful instrument. The son of `ukulele legend "Ohta-san," he started playing at the age of three, and now has a goal to share the music of Hawai`i and the beauty of the instrument with people around the world, performing and conducting instructional workshops. This six-time Na Hoku Hanohano Award nominee (Hawaiian equivalent to the Grammy) and two-time Hawai`i Music Award winner effortlessly translates the beauty and culture of Hawai`i through his creative expression of music. With over 15 solo and duet albums in circulation, and performances on more than 40 recordings, he is well on his way to matching his father’s legacy. His latest release, `Ukulele Journey, hit stores and iTunes this fall, and features original compositions as well as arrangements of Hawaiian standards. Guest artists include some of Hawai`i’s top musicians, including Louis “Moon” Kauakahi of Mahaka Sons, Barry Flanagan and Nathan Aweau of Hapa, and slack-key legend Ledward Kaapana. For more information, visit www.HerbOhtaJr.com.

Nathan Aweau, most recognized today as part of an internationally-renowned, multi-award winning Hawaiian music duo, has found success as a solo artist as well, receiving three Ha Hoku Hanohano Awards for 'Male Vocalist of the Year.’ Having arranged songs and played bass for Don Ho for over 15 years, Nathan brings an extraordinary talent and love for Hawaiian music to the stage and to his recordings. Able to play multiple instruments, his musical influences began early, as his mother taught piano and his father taught choir. His seven-string electric bass guitar is now his instrument of choice as he tours around the world. Winning multiple awards for his Hawai`i Classic Series, he gained exceptional recognition for his third disc, E Apo Mai, which won Na Hoku Hanohano Awards for ‘Male Vocalist of the Year,’ ‘Song of the Year’ and ‘Album of the Year’ in 2003. His love for contemporary jazz and Hawaiian standards is complimented by his amazing vocals in many of his own compositions on his fourth solo CD, Ko'olau, due out this November. For more information, visit www.NathanAweau.org.

CONCERT LOCATIONS:
SEATTLE, WA – Tue., Nov. 6, 7:30 pm, The Triple Door.
Tickets: www.TheTripleDoor.net 206-838-4333

HAYWARD, CA – Thu., Nov. 8, 8:00 pm, Campus Theatre, California State University, East Bay
Tickets: www.HawaiiMusicLive.tix.com or 800-595-4849 or
L&L Barbecue, Hayward, Ca 510.782.0880 or
Nikkei Traditions, San Jose,Ca 408.297.7554

SACRAMENTO, CA – Fri. Nov. 9, 8:00 pm, The Pavilion in Elk Grove
Advanced purchase only!
Tickets: Hawaiian Style Grill, Elk Grove, CA or call 415-452-8720

CARLSBAD, CA – Sun., Nov. 11, 5:00 pm, Carlsbad Village Theatre
Tickets: 310-339-7205 (see above)

WATSONVILLE, CA – Mon., Nov. 12, 7:30 pm, Henry J. Mello Center for the Performing Arts
Aloha Island Grille, Santa Cruz, CA 831.479.3299

Edited by - Susie Kagami on 10/22/2007 6:29:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  09:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Susie Kagami

SEATTLE, WA – Tue., Nov. 6, 7:30 pm, The Triple Door.
Tickets: www.TheTripleDoor.net 206-838-4333

Seattle-area folks - you paying attention, yeah?
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey SCSKS:
Any jam session before?
It was good to see Susie and Herb Saturday in Whittier.
Anybody meeting anyplace for kaukau before or after?
Aloha!!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Susie Kagami
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  5:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susie Kagami's Homepage
Aloha Auntie,

It was so great to see you too!!! Herb and Daniel always seem to surprise me. Incredible musicians with such amazing talent! Sooo glad I flew down for their show! The Shannon center is such an amazing place to see Hawaiian music and I love connecting with all the good friends we've made there over the years!

I can't wait until the next tour with Nathan and Herb. They both have this influence of jazz, R&B but rooted in Hawaiian tradition that I just love! Nathan's voice sends chills up my spine and oh my, can he play that Bass guitar. We are so fortunate to have Nathan share his first ever solo mainland tour and have them both share the release of their latest CDs with us. Ukulele and Bass, I think it may be a very different show than what we are used to.

Mahalo and hugs,
Susie

Edited by - Susie Kagami on 10/29/2007 5:15:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  05:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Susie!!
I absolutely love Nathan's voice. I've only seen him with Barry and though the concerts were good, I would like to have heard more nahenahe classics. I think I'm in a very small minority, of course. What a treat to hear Herb sing last Saturday!!! What a big full voice he has to use!
I can't wait 'til the two perform on the 11th - - I can't even imagine what show they've put together.
Mahalo for bringing this to us!!
n
Go to Top of Page

Susie Kagami
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  12:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susie Kagami's Homepage
Auntie,

Herb does have this full and incredible voice and it was special night for us all to finally hear him sing live. I think he used to sing for a few years in a very notable chorus in school and earlier in his music career. I just hope he continues to share his vocals on stage because he has kept this wonderful hidden talent from us long enough. Glad you were there to share it with!

Cheers!
Susie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  07:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
Nothing organized so far with the SCSKS slackers. You know us, we don't organize well. Many of the Moonlight Beach ukulele crowd are buying their tickets to Carlsbad as well. We have a double-header that evening as Jake Shimabukuro is playing at the Belly-Up at 8PM. So you can get two concerts with one "road trip". Good thing it is a Sunday.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
A quick note about some interviews, when Herb & Nathan come to Seattle:

Braddah Gomes, producer/host of "Hawai`i Radio Connection," has recorded phone interviews with the two of them, scheduled to air TOMORROW (Saturday, 11/3) on our two programs (where I will be co-hosting.)

* KXPA-AM 1540, sometime between 8-9 am PT
* KBCS-FM 91.3, around 12:30 pm (the show airs from Noon to 2 pm PT; TP's own neeej will be playing live on the show around 1 pm) - the KBCS broadcast also streams live at http://kbcs.fm

In addition, the duo will visit the KBCS studios for a live performance and interview with Richard Gillman on "Lunch With Folks" - Tuesday, 11/6 around 1 pm PT. Listen live over the air or via the internet!
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  7:59:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Susie Kagami

WATSONVILLE, CA – Mon., Nov. 12, 7:30 pm, Henry J. Mello Center for the Performing Arts
Aloha Island Grille, Santa Cruz, CA 831.479.3299
[/i]

Susie, it was nice seeing and meeting you again and thank you so much for stopping by our radio station in Watsonville, Ca. www.KAPU.org this afternoon. We were thrilled that we could do our part in helping Nathan Aweau and Herb Ohta, Jr promote their upcoming concert, in our area.

Patrick( Hawaiian at Heart) and I (Kaukini Norm) had a wonderfull time listening to Nathan and Herb play music LIVE in our studio and talking story with them between songs. The time spent together before and after the actual interview was just a treat for us all. We hope that the rest of your travels together are safe and filled with Aloha.

We look forward to you coming back to Watsonville for the actual concert on Nov. 12th. We had a great, great time and hope the three of you enjoyed it, also. Norm

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 11/04/2007 8:03:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  9:54:57 PM  Show Profile
We got to see the start of Herb and Nathan's tour in Seattle tonight - OH. MY. GOODNESS. I am going to be blissed out from this concert for the next week. While watching other `ukulele players, I try to see what tricks I can learn from them. Herb's love of and treatment of melodies mesmerized me from the start - I stopped trying to analyze his fingers and just sat back with a big smile on my face. Nathan's soaring voice and wicked bass licks made my jaw drop. Then he made me cry - I love his new song "Kane`ohe."

Halau Hula o Lono provided a beautiful accompaniment to "E Apo Mai," "Mahinahina," and "Kamakani Ka Ili Aloha." G.S., Aunty Manu herself danced the last one solo.

Then the boys dazzled us with their combined talents and tried to crack each other up on stage.

Thank you, Susie, for bringing them to town. California, here they come. Hurry back you guys.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  10:34:23 PM  Show Profile
E Lori thanks for posting I think we were trying to figure out the second hula. Mahinahina is it. You was takin notes or waht?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Momi - a very well written review. Makes me feel as though I were there. Herb makes sweet music come of out that `ukulele. Nathan is a rennaisance man -- he can do it all (and does)...(very well).

No get homesick, Momi.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile
I've gotten permission to post pictures, so here we go:

Herb

Nathan with the ladies of Halau Hula o Lono doing "E Apo Mai." Incidentally, Al, this was the second hula performed. Herb and Nathan did "Mahinahina" together with the ladies dancing to start off the show.

Nathan with that amazing bass.

Aunty Manu Lono dancing to "Kamakani Ka`ili Aloha."

Hoku dancing to "Akaka Falls."

Hana hou!

California folks, if you're on the fence, I'd like to push you over to the "go check 'em out" side.

Oh, and dear Admin, Nathan says to say "hi." Both Susie and Herb put in plugs for the Taropatch `ohana - right on!

Edited by - Momi on 11/07/2007 09:09:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile
eh - pichas got one "x" instead of picha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

KAPU-lp104.7FM
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  6:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit KAPU-lp104.7FM's Homepage
Aloha,

KAPU-lp hosted an interview with Herb and Nathan.
Click here to listen- http://www.kapu.org/files/Norm_and_Patrick_interview_Herb_Ohta_Jr.and_Nathan_Aweau.mp3

It takes about 3 minutes to load, but well worth the wait.

Many mahalos to Norm and Patrick.

Please go to this show if you can!!

Aloha no,
Jeff Kost
KAPU-lp 104.7 FM

Edited by - KAPU-lp104.7FM on 11/07/2007 6:40:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: