Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian music on mainland radio stations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Just curious -- what radio stations on the mainland include a regularly-scheduled Hawaiian music program?

Real radio stations ... not the online-only broadcasters.

I know of a few -- is there a list anywhere online?

Mahalo nui for whatever you can contribute!

Just curious -- what radio stations on the mainland include a regularly-scheduled Hawaiian music program?

Just compiling the list of responses: (Admin)
quote:
People wrote:
KAPU-lp 104.7 FM
KXPA-AM 1540 - Seattle, WA
KBCS-FM 91.3 - Bellevue, WA
KSER-FM 90.7 - Everett, WA
KHDC - Salinas CA
KKUP - Santa Clara CA
KMUD - Garberville CA
KUSF - San Francisco CA
KZSC - Santa Cruz CA
KCSN in Northridge, CA (88.5 FM) there's a late program called "Hawaiian Eye."
KVMR 89.5 Grass Valley/Nevada City, CA

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Not none no how here in northeastern Ohio.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  11:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I don't know of a list. KAPU-lp 104.7 FM

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

This list includes both on-line and broadcast stations:
http://www.hawaii-music.com/hawradio.htm

Aloha!
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  12:31:55 PM  Show Profile
First on the list! Thank you, Andy.

Hooray for mighty but mini KAPU-lp, 104.7 FM, Ohana de Watsonville. Mighty, in the sense that it is the only mainland radio station that broadcasts Hawaiian Music 24/7. Mini, in the sense that is a low power station that can only be heard in the Monterey Bay region of Ca.

I am one of the newer Volunter DJs at the station and my show "Na Mele O Hawaii: Then and Now" can be heard from around 4:30 to 7:00pm every Tuesday.
I am "Kaukini Norm". I am having a total blast preparing for and doing the show. This Sunday, I and another DJ, Patrick (Hawaiian at Heart), will be doing an on air interview with Herb Ohta Jr and Nathan Aweau at the station to promote their concert in Watsonville the next week. I owe it all to Bill Wynne.

EDIT. There are other DJs from the station that also hang out on Taropatch.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 11/01/2007 12:49:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

This list includes both on-line and broadcast stations:
http://www.hawaii-music.com/hawradio.htm
Sadly, this list is severely out-dated. The info for "Hawai`i Radio Connection," for example, is several years old and utterly inaccurate, which doesn't reflect well on the trustworthiness of the list at all.

"Hawai`i Radio Connection":
Saturdays, 8-9 am, KXPA-AM 1540 - Seattle, WA
Saturdays, Noon-2 pm, KBCS-FM 91.3 - Bellevue, WA
(I've been a co-host on this show since 2001.)

"Da Coconut Wireless":
Sundays, 4:30-6:30 pm, KSER-FM 90.7 - Everett, WA
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  1:03:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

my show "Na Mele O Hawaii: Then and Now" can be heard from around 4:30 to 7:00pm every Tuesday.
Excellent name choice.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed,

I told you it was a great choice when you suggested it to me a few weeks ago.

Mahalo again for your help!!

"Kaukini Norm"

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,50thstateradio.com on the 'puter is a good spot for Da Kine! Also www.live365.com has a variety of Hawaiian and Pacific Islander music available. BD1

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  3:23:24 PM  Show Profile
As stated in the original post:

"Just curious -- what radio stations on the mainland include a regularly-scheduled Hawaiian music program?
"Real radio stations ... not the online-only broadcasters."

I know of a few:
KHDC - Salinas CA
KKUP - Santa Clara CA
KMUD - Garberville CA
KUSF - San Francisco CA
KZSC - Santa Cruz CA

And the mighty KAPU-LP in Watsonville.

Anymore "real" (as in FM or AM) radio stations on the mainland playing Hawaiian music?

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  6:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Just to clarify.On line internet radio stations are REAL RADIO STATIONS. They just stream over the internet. My station www.50thstateradio.com is a professional internet radio station that has 14 on air personalities and 12 different programs. We broadcast live interviews with various artists and play lists that capture the essence of Hawaiian music.

Our on air personalities have many years experience as performing artist or associated with Hawaiian entertainment.

Frank Delima will be our in studio guest tomorrow. We may also get a call from Auntie Geona as one of our on air personalities is having lunch with her.

The range of our station is the world Most BROADCAST stations have a very limited range. Maybe a few miles. So unless you are in a very populated area whats the number of Hawaiin music lovers that will tune in within a 12 to 20 mile range

The internet is the source of where people are getting there news and entertainment these days. Advertising dollars are shifting to Internet Radio. AM BROADCAST STATIONS have little in regard to tracking how many and when people are listening. Internet allows the tracking and we can obtain numbers real time.

We have been on air since August 23rd and I will share that we have had 50,000 people come back and listen to us. Most AM/FM stations could not give you those kinds of numbers. So we must be doing something right. To get a message out the internet is where to go these days.

Hawaii we are coming your way. On 1/3/2008 a TV station will be streaming our audio followed by Video spots and TV programs originated at 50th State Radio. More later

Sample- Sunday schedule 9Am to 9:30 Gary and Sheldeen Haleamau with Making A Difference. 9:30am to 1PM Joseph Sarreo and Akuhead Classics. 1PM to 3PM "Breezin" hosted by yours truly,and from 3-5Pm Bill Wynn presents his very popular program.

So give us a listen. You can call us at 800 974-4656 love to hear from you. Myself and Uncle Paul Natto are on every morning from 9Am to Noon.

PS Auntie I'm sorry I didn't answer you question as I don't know of AM stations you are looking for. I will admit I liked writting this as I am very proud of our staff and what has been accomplished in such a short time.

Edited by - Ianui on 11/01/2007 6:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  6:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ianui

Just to clarify.On line internet radio stations are REAL RADIO STATIONS.
Just to be picky --- no, they aren't "radio," because they are not broadcasting over radio transmission waves.

But they ARE real stations - and internet stations are a progressive use of technology, which puts "broadcasting" into the hands of more people. I look forward to the day that they are no longer considered novelties.

But I think we know what Auntie Maria was asking for. Compilation of an internet station list would also be useful.
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  02:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
http://www.kcsn.org/programs/hawaiianeye.html

At KCSN in Northridge, CA (88.5 FM) there's a late program called "Hawaiian Eye." Kinda weak signal outside the San Fernando Valley, but streamed online...Caught it on a few random nights working on late nite freelance projects. Eclectic mix of stuff from standards to slack key to surf music to hapa-haole tunes... 12-2 AM for you night pueos...

Edited by - T-Dan on 11/02/2007 02:50:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  04:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by Ianui

Just to clarify.On line internet radio stations are REAL RADIO STATIONS.
Just to be picky --- no, they aren't "radio," because they are not broadcasting over radio transmission waves.

But they ARE real stations - and internet stations are a progressive use of technology, which puts "broadcasting" into the hands of more people. I look forward to the day that they are no longer considered novelties.

But I think we know what Auntie Maria was asking for. Compilation of an internet station list would also be useful.

I did not take offense at the use of "real radio stations" in Auntie Maria's post, either. I knew exactly what she meant. But it made me wonder...

Are we using the right term to describe what we do in internet brodcasting as "radio?" We don't use the traditional radio technology for which this segment of the industry was named. But then neither do XM or Sirius - both of which refer to themselves as "radio." Moreover, Live365, Shoutcast, and Pandora all refer to themselves as "radio" and Yahoo! Music, Windows Media Player, MusicMatch, and RealJukebox all have "radio" tuners. Hmmm...

Then it hit me. "Ice skating" is a compound noun. "Street hockey" is a compound noun." So, "internet" is not merely an adjective describing "radio." We have pretty much agreed that doesn't make sense because the internet happens over hard wires and radio happens through the air. What has been created to keep up with the technology - while we had our backs turned - is a new compound noun, "internet radio," to describe a type of broadcasting that takes place over wires instead of through the air.

I confirmed my hunch through PC Magazine's online encyclopedia of more than 20,000 IT terms:

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=Internet radio&i=45248,00.asp

And in this interesting article, "How Will We Define Radio In The Future?" the author asserts that radio should begin to be defined by content since the paradigm for delivery will forever be evolving.

http://radio.about.com/od/opinionpieces/a/aa010107a_2.htm

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  04:30:05 AM  Show Profile
How about using the term "internet broadcasting", instead?

And I certainly meant no offense -- just wanted to clarify that I was seeking AM/FM stations to which one could tune their car/home radio to find Hawaiian music.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  04:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

How about using the term "internet broadcasting", instead?

And I certainly meant no offense -- just wanted to clarify that I was seeking AM/FM stations to which one could tune their car/home radio to find Hawaiian music.

I have floated the idea of a weekly Hawaiian music radio show in the New York/Philadelphia metropolitan areas for over a decade but no takers. If I did a show of tiki kitsch and played only Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman (with a little Esquivel and Space Age bachelor pad music thrown in), maybe. We couldn't even support the Hawaii Calls revival, Sounds of Aloha, in the early 1990s on AM.

It breaks my heart when I think that there was a period in our history when 3 out of every 5 songs played on U.S. radio was a Hawaiian song. Aue!

P.S. "Broadcasting" makes far more sense than "radio," to me, too. But I think we may be too late as there are so many existing references to internet radio. What I am hoping for personally is a cool abbreviation - like "TV" (even though we all know the abbreviation for television should be "T"). Does anything make sense anymore?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 11/02/2007 04:48:02 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000