Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Built in automatic tuners?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
OK Mark....fluorescent lighting?

Ever listen to 'em? Well, if you've ever been in a room with florescent lighting, you can't help but to listen to the constant buzz they put out. Gawdawful sound, if you ask me. Even new fixtures buzz; the older ones put out quite a racket. Sad to say, most folks who have to work in that environment learn to tune them out (so to speak).

For me, the buzz makes it very hard to hear the overtones of each string well enough to get in tune.

Aaaaahhhh, I get it now. Kinda like trying to sing in key with the drone of my very loud exhaust system in my work truck. I wonder what key it is in at about 60 mph.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile
If you get a nail in your tire, it Bb.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile
A little story is warranted. The first real group I played with managed to line up a gig at a hair salon. The pay was right. A plate lunch from Masa's massive Plate lunch and a case of beer. I think we tuned to an A 440 tuning fork cause i think most of wanted to emulate a symphony orchestra or something. Any way thats where we got the 440 idea. So we passed the fork around and tuned the A string and then used relative tuning to get the other strings to match up and we actually sounded together. It was quite a group since a couple of the guys went on to play for real like one guy whose name was Guy ended up playing guitar for Moe Keale. Any it was Guy who knew the owner of the hair salon. So we go in and play and then when the hair dryer was running we sounded bad because the hair dryer was like in a flat G shrp or something and we never thought of tuning to the Hair dryer cause we thought that concert pitch should be the deciding factor. So florescent lights and hair dryers can interfere with tuning. The food was great and in those days we got heineken so who could complain. The best paid gig I ever played since.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Great story, Al!

My high school band used to tune to the dial tone, which was something close to Bb. And it was a real dial tone, too.

Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  11:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

If you get a nail in your tire, it Bb.
Paul

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

At first I thought wha?...That hit me just right and really cracked me up....Thanks Paul.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 12/02/2007 11:12:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Here's a link to the self-tuning guitar from Gibson:
www.tronical.com

Jesse

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  10:13:52 PM  Show Profile
I saw in one magazine cost of guitar + $900.00 for the self tuning option. Of course that is the list. Maybe can get discount li'dat.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile
I still carry an A-440 fork in my guitar case.
Years ago, I was at a Bluegrass jam. A weather front moved through the area and knocked us all out of tune. We recovered and kept on. In standard tuning, I find that a G chord and an E chord help in finnessing the tuning.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000