Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reggae Influences
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile
That is why Ratasfarians use "eye and eye". They never refer to themselves as "I", and never alone, always with Jah. They considered Selassie as the Lion of Judah. Veneration increased when he was assasinated, because that was fulfilling a prophecy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
That is why Ratasfarians use "eye and eye".

That would be I & I. Sounds the same, though....

quote:
One of my all time favorite Reggae artists is Lucky Dube

Sadly Lucky Dube was killed in a car jacking recently:

http://www.luckydubemusic.com/

And, for Erika and Bill-- check out "Islands In the Storm":

http://cdbaby.com/cd/lenahan

(One of 1.9 million Google hits for Reggae Bagpipes! Wotta woild, eh?)

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Yep. I even knew it was I & I, but I didn't know if someone thought I was putting one and one. so I spelled it phonetically.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  09:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

The Year was 1972. There were two big hits that brought Reggae and Ska into Hawaii consciousness. The first was the song “I Can See Clearly” by Johnny Nash. --- The second was the release of the film soundtrack “The Harder They Come” also released in 1972 by Island Records. This is the perfect soundtrack. It features Jimmy Cliff, Toots and the Maytals, the Slickers, Desmond Decker & the Aces, the Melodians.
On the Mainland, the first many of us heard of reggae was 1968, when Desmond Dekker & the Aces released "Israelites," which made it onto the top ten in many US & UK markets.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  09:40:02 AM  Show Profile
I've seen people polka to Reggae.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  10:20:01 AM  Show Profile
A video of Opihi Pickers with a Reggae beat... - Our Love is Divine -http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1670289

Ho`onu`a - She Looks Good - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1896934

Crossfyah - Naturally - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1333761

Troy Fernandez - Real Love - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6RNXosnz4

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  11:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Country Comfort recorded "Mr. Reggae" back in the 70s, not sure what year. It predates any other reggae-influenced band from Hawai'i that I am aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Yep. I even knew it was I & I, but I didn't know if someone thought I was putting one and one. so I spelled it phonetically.

Aye, and so ye did...

Funny thing, tho'. When reggae first started to get a buzz, some national news service (CBS, NBC?) sent a reporter down to Jamaica to explain the whole Rastafarian deal to middle America.

To help us proles understand the Jamaican accents, they subtitled everything. When interviewing a Rasta elder, the subtitles had it "Iron Eye;" which the interviewer took pains to point out was a reference to some obscure bit of Coptic Old Testament folklore.

I wonder what they made of "She had brown sugar, all over her ....."

Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  4:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:

Aye, and so ye did...

Funny thing, tho'. When reggae first started to get a buzz, some national news service (CBS, NBC?) sent a reporter down to Jamaica to explain the whole Rastafarian deal to middle America.

To help us proles understand the Jamaican accents, they subtitled everything. When interviewing a Rasta elder, the subtitles had it "Iron Eye;" which the interviewer took pains to point out was a reference to some obscure bit of Coptic Old Testament folklore.

I wonder what they made of "She had brown sugar, all over her ....."

Aye, aye! The Navy's Rasta, then!

:-)
Go to Top of Page

Honopo
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  04:02:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
That is why Ratasfarians use "eye and eye".

That would be I & I. Sounds the same, though....

quote:
One of my all time favorite Reggae artists is Lucky Dube

Sadly Lucky Dube was killed in a car jacking recently:

http://www.luckydubemusic.com/

Holy cow, I am speechless. I had no idea. That is horrible.
Go to Top of Page

Honopo
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  4:18:50 PM  Show Profile
I put away the Hawaiian today and celebrated the life and music of Lucky Dube. I feel horrible that I did not know this happened until today.

And the band played on Lucky, I am sure you have been part of one INCREDIBLE band up in heaven.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  03:13:25 AM  Show Profile
"phony Indian accents like the British bands."

Mark, I have to confess I'm completely bemused by this comment. British bands using phoney Indian accents? Surely shome mistake? Almost universally, British bands use phoney American accents, and a reggae band might well assume a Jamaican accent - people from Jamaican families can usually do this without too much of a problem - but I don't think I've heard of a band putting on an Indian accent to do anything, least of all reggae.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  09:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Trev -

I'm thinking about all the toasters and DJ I've heard on singles and the radio over the years... naturally, at the moment the only name that comes to mind is Apache Indian. Who is, of course, Indian.

I'll have to dig out the old LPs and give a listen.

You are right, most British bands try to sound American. You aren't old enuf to remember when American bands tried to sound British.

And I sing Hawaiian with a delta accent. Go figure.

Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile
"You aren't old enuf to remember when American bands tried to sound British."

I think it came back around a few years ago (the Killers, and the rest of the "the" bands).

Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  3:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Another group (Local)to listen to is HO'Aikane. Great local sound and Reggae influence. Try listen.

BD1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000