Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reggae Influences
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  05:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Ho'aikane was a super group of the 80s-90s Hawaiian music scene and also put a few slack key and traditional Hawaiian songs onto their albums. Their version of "By and By, Ho'i Mai 'Oe" is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, their albums are hard to find.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Honopo
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  04:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, on KPOA yesterday, I heard Pu'uwai doing Lucky Dube's "It's Not Easy" and it made my day! Lucky lives on in Hawaii!

Even though his times are hard
You can hardly see it on his face
Because of the smile
People coming in from miles away
To hear him sing and see him play
So he can' t disappoint them now
The room is full of smoke
But he can see them dancing
And he can see them crying
It doesn' t bother him at all 'Cause he knows it' s only tears of joy

Let the band play on

There' s a girl sitting by the corner there
And she looks at him with her big brown eyes
He smiles back and carries on playing
It doesn' t bother him at all
Somehow, it gives him some comfort
Police came in halfway through the night
With the good news
Neighbours are complaining
'Cause the music is so low low low low
So TURN IT UP NOW, now

Let the band play on
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jesse,I got my CD's of Ho'Aikane from Kahale Music,P.O. Box 1996,Waianae,Hi 96792 They had at last count (mine) 7 or 8 CD's. I have "A New Beginning" and "Island Irie".

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Kaohi
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile
GREAT POST clip
"The first Hawaiian reggae hit was a cover of Bob Marley’s “Guava Jelly” off of the Cane Fire Album by the Peter Moon Band. This was in 1982. Among the band members were Randy Lorenzo, Cyril Pahinui, Martin Pahinui, Steve Wofford, Bobby Hall, Merv Ching and Peter Moon. All of them first class musicians. These were the guys who set the bar that no other group has as of yet passed."

Kaohi's Post:
In 1978, hippies, "Stop the Bombing" on O Kanaloa Kohe Malamalama island off Maui, and the ending of the Vietnam War combined caused a need to reach for a universal sound that screamed all of the above.

In Haleiwa, we use to have a theater where Mc Donalds exist today-- here is where the first Reggae band groups played. The steps or dance was a marching an African war style. Only African-American soilders found their way to this theater. In their Army uniform they danced, I too joined them, it was an individual sort of thing. No talk, just dance-march to the Reggae beat, I believe this band was from Waianae.

I played Bob Marley records when my husband was at work. I played his music in mourning for George Helm. I read something printed on the back of the "War" album which brought peace to the happenings.

Don't mean to be long winded--Uncle Gabby played a concert in the Haleiwa parking lot that was organized by Mala a hippie woman living in Kahana Bay as a caregiver for a Kupuna.

Kaohi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000