Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Auntie Genoa Keawe walks on - In Memoriam
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lokelina
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  5:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit lokelina's Homepage
Yes, we will all grieve for Aunty Genoa. She was genuinely a wonderful woman and tender soul. I will sorely miss her. She was very instrumental to the Hawaii music industry.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  6:41:59 PM  Show Profile
So sad to hear this. We met her only briefly, at one of her thursday performances last May. Just sitting there, greeting all who came out, she was regal,and dignified. With a warm smile and greeting for all,old friend,or malehini, she made everyone feel like an old friend. She will surely be missed by all who ever heard her music.
Aloha, Auntie. Warm wishes to you, and all your ohana.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile
In awe of her sense of purpose with music. So glad she sang as long as she did.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, this is very sad news. I was hoping to see her again next time I go to Honolulu. She was so very charismatic and resilient over the last few years. Saw her several times and was thrilled to be able to see a Hawaiian treasure. Sigh....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  8:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Long time ago . . I was quietly playing off to the side of our hotel pool one morning before most people were out - I was playing Nani Kauai - and I heard a lady softly signing in back of me. It sounded like Auntie Genoa, but it was so early, I just shrugged it off and kept playing. When I finished and turned around - it was Auntie G! I must have turned beet red 'cause I could feel the blushing. Auntie Genoa smiled and said, "That was really good, honey. "Were'd you learn how to play like that?" (She was there to meet someone for breakfast.) We talked for a few minutes. Some moments are trully priceless and "for a lifetime."
The world is a little less beatutiful tonight.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  03:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
From MSNBC today...

Hawai`i Music Icon Aunty Genoa Keawe Dies

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/26/2008 03:59:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

kawikasurf
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  06:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Send kawikasurf a Yahoo! Message
What an extraordinary legacy of music and aloha this beautiful soul has left to a world in dire need of it. Her physical presence and encyclopedic knowledge of Hawaiian music are lost to us but the radiance of her smile remain vivid in our minds and her recordings constitute a priceless gift that will enrich generations to come.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Words can't express.........I was fortunate enough to see her perform and listen to her recordings for many years. She has slipped on to the other side to be with those that came before us.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile
OMG!! So sad, I will truly miss her, what a loss...oh but what a rich history, and such a warm and gracious person she was. A warm light that has passed, a beautiful voice now silent...words cannot express enough. My love & thoughts to her spirit.
I too share many memories and times with her, and was fortunate to play with her, and her son at the Marriott.
:-(
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  2:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Aunty Genoa Keawe inspired and encouraged me. A true inspiration for Hawaiian music! She will always be remembered by me...I will miss those run inʻs with her at "Like Like Drive in"
God bless you Aunty!- Liko Kahumoku ,Georgie boyʻs son.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  4:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Her passing was noted on NPR's "All Things Considered" today.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=38226288
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  03:36:25 AM  Show Profile
Gregg - I tried the link above, but must be broke.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  07:48:17 AM  Show Profile
How weird. Works now. Thanks Braddah Ed & Gregg.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:34:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a picture of her and I from about 2001 I believe. Now it will be treasured even more. Calling her an icon of Hawaiian music is almost an understatement. Spent many Thursday evenings at the Marriot (the old Regent)listening to her, and all the other folks she would invite on stage to perform. Alan Akaka is a friend, and I sort of wonder if the group will continue, with maybe Genoa's grand-daughter, who is doing well in her own right, taking on the continuation of the music.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:18:23 PM  Show Profile

Now there are three of the greats that we saw on stage at the 1995 Hilo Slack Key festival that have passed on: Leonard Kwan, Auntie G, and Uncle Ray. I have the record that Leonard and Ray put out so many years ago hanging in a frame in my Studio (the one that just said "Slack Key" in big block letters on the front).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000