Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Auntie Genoa Keawe walks on - In Memoriam
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  05:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I will miss this wonderful person also. The first time I saw Aunty Genoa Keawe perform was at the old Aloha Grill/bowling alley in downtown Honolulu. I remember that after her performance she went to every table and thank the people individually. The first time I ever saw a entertainer do that and the last time to date. What a nice person. My deepest regrets.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie Fry
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kathie Fry's Homepage
Genoa Keawe and Ray Kane will be sorely missed! Here is my most recent photo (and the one I love most) of Auntie Genoa. She is sitting in the audience of the September 28, 2007 Aloha Festivals Falsetto Contest at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel.

Copyright Kathleen Walling Fry

We will miss you Auntie!

- Kathie

Edited by - Kathie Fry on 03/01/2008 05:51:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  03:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hulaskater

Genoa Keawe and Ray Kane will be sorely missed! Here is my most recent photo (and the one I love most) of Auntie Genoa. She is sitting in the audience of the September 28, 2007 Aloha Fesitvals Falsetto Contest at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel.
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this photo. This, too, was the last time I saw Aunty Genoa and it was a very special evening. I never carry a camera anywhere, so you have no idea how happy I am that someone captured this evening.

And, yes, I loved her, too. I was her BIGGEST fan. People say that, I know, but in this case it is actually true.

Mahalo, mahalo, MAHALO!

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  09:56:37 AM  Show Profile
From the Honolulu newspapers:

Services will be held on Thursday and Friday for legendary Hawaiian singer Aunty Genoa Leilani Keawe, who died Monday at age 89.

Visitation will be from 2 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Borthwick Mortuary on Maunakea Street in Chinatown. Services are scheduled for 6 p.m. at Borthwick.

Because of limited parking and an expected overflow crowd, Borthwick is encouraging mourners to carpool, walk or be dropped off.

On Friday, visitation is 9 a.m. to noon at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, La'ie Hawai'i North Stake at 55-110 Lanihuli St., near the grounds of the La'ie Hawai'i Temple. The service will be at noon, and burial at 2 p.m. at the La'ie cemetery.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile
"Live radio coverage planned for Aunty Genoa's funeral"

Breaking news at the Honolulu Advertiser, by Wayne Harada:

"Funeral services for Hawaiian music icon Genoa Keawe, set for tomorrow at Borthwick Mortuary, will be carried live on KKNE 940 AM and online at www.am940hawaii.com.

"Cox Radio program manager David Daniel said intermittent interviews with musicians and family members will be aired between 4 and 6 p.m., during the visitation. Then at 6 p.m., the actual services will be aired live for about an hour."

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Like many others I mourn Auntys loss. At the same time, I celebrate her progression. Back with her husband now, family, friends and the Lord.

Aunty ... mahalo for your spirit - one of a kind. I still remember the pipikaula you cooked at the papakolea house - feeding a skinny little kid that your son brought home. Aloha and A Hui Hou!

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  03:37:00 AM  Show Profile
The Honolulu-Advertiser has a beautiful tribute page for Aunty, in today's edition -- including video from last night's services:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=genoa

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  04:45:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

The Honolulu-Advertiser has a beautiful tribute page for Aunty, in today's edition -- including video from last night's services:

Maria, thank you for posting this. An extremely well done tribute.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  05:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Thank you for this.

For those of you who couldn't tune in to the services last evening (and what other Hawaiian music artist would be so deserving as to have their farewell broadcast around the world?), it was absolutely moving beyond words. The more you learned about Aunty Genoa through those who memorialized her with their mana`o, the more honored you felt to have met and known her.

It reminded me of a story I had almost forgotten... One of the nice things about going to hear Aunty Genoa on a Thursday at the Marriott was the reunion with friends. The regulars are always there. But one Thursday in June a few years ago, none of the regulars were there. I was shocked! When I asked where everyone was, I learned that Ledward was doing a concert at a museum at the same time. So, all by myself, I sat at the bar and struck up conversation with toursists until Aunty Genoa began her set.

A couple from the midwest on their Hawaiian honeymoon sat at the bar next to me - enrapt not by the music of a living legend but by the NBA playoffs. They cheered - loudly - and I was getting pretty irritated. So I turned to them and made polite conversation.

"Do you know who that is on the stage?"

"No!"

"That is the oldest living legend of Hawaiian music. Her name is Genoa Keawe. She is loved by all of Hawai`i and Hawaiian music fans around the world. Some people who come to Hawai`i from far away places come only to meet and hear this great lady in person. It is like having an audience with the Pope. You might want to check her out."

They turned away from the TV and toward the stage and the man and the woman were - understandably and expectedly - entranced. I guess they got the box scores on ESPN later. And Aunty made still two more fans.

I fell in love with her the same way many, many years before. I was just a kid, but regardless of your age or your background, you could not hear this great lady's voice and not feel her warmth, her graciousness, her passion, her "Hawaiianness," and her aloha. And so you could not help but fall in love with her and with Hawai`i.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:10:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
A number of us are gathering for our regular kanikapila in Seattle tomorrow, but this time, the focus will be on Aunty Genoa & Uncle Raymond. One of our regulars is a man who would not have even entered the Aloha Festivals Falsetto Contest had it not been for Aunty Genoa's not-so-subtle prompting. And he won, too.

In honor of those two great performers, we humbly play...
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

One of our regulars is a man who would not have even entered the Aloha Festivals Falsetto Contest had it not been for Aunty Genoa's not-so-subtle prompting. And he won, too.
And he won singing her signature song, "`Alika." Apparently, Aunty Wizard gave him courage, too.

I was so touched when I saw one of the YouTube tributes that Wanda pointed out to us. One of the still photos it contained was of Aunty Genoa, Gary, and me.

Tell Gary I said "Hi" and "Aloha."

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 03/07/2008 07:44:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000