Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha `oe Raymond Kane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Heaven has gained another slack key master...island TV is reporting that Raymond Kane passed away early this morning:
http://kgmb9.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4448&Itemid=76

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
This has been a very sad week. Uncle Ray has suffered tremendously. It is good that he now no longer will suffer. He has been such a kind advocate for slack key guitar. He shared his knowledge by teaching so many students, many of whom are our TP `ohana. His playing style was very distinctive and you can easily tell who were his haumana because they play with many of Uncle Raymond's characteristics. He was a man full of life, full of joy and a proud Hawaiian. He and Aunty Elodia were a shining example of a married couple. You could not help but see the love in her eyes for him whenever she looked at him. God bless you and keep you in his care, Uncle Raymond. Heaven will be ringing with the sounds of music. Words cannot express. Aloha `oe and mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My prayers go out to Auntie Elodia.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/BREAKING01/80228028

Such a sad week. I never got to hear Aunty Genoa live, but I caught Uncle Raymond twice (he was the featured artist on a CD made from broadcasts I produced back in 1993).
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
I saw uncle this past Sunday when I visited him at the hospital. He was trying to rest, but still tried to talk to me while I was there. I just tried to get him to relax. Even in his last days he was singing to everybody who would listen! It was his way. He even tried to get the nurses and staff to sing along with him. I played some slack key for him while he drifted off to sleep the last two times I visited. It made me reflect on my chosen business name..."Ki Ho'alu Dreams". He was a great man, and gave freely to so many. I will always be greatful. Hy heart goes out to all of his extended 'ohana. A hui hou uncle,

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

Man, I was not expecting that post, Auntie Maria. I really wanted to visit Uncle Ray at Kaiser a few weeks ago while visiting Oʻahu, but I got sick so didn't dare visit a hospital.

Uncle Ray holds a special place in my heart. One, he was the first slack key guitarist that I ever saw perform live. That was many years ago at Somerville Theater in Massachusetts along with George Kahumoku and Keola Beamer. Two, I am one of many studenta who drove out to Waiʻanae to visit the Kānes for a guitar lesson or lesson in aloha. Feels like just yesterday that Lynette and I would pull up to 89-103 Haleakalā Ave and through the screen door hear a loud, welcoming, "Aloha!" I think my last visit was back in 2002. I have many fond memories chatting with the Kānes, seeing Uncle perform at the Slack Key Festival in 2001, Uncle Ray saying to me, "You one sly mongoose!"

My prayers go out to the Kāne ʻohana. Uncle Ray, play on! I will miss you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
You said it Andy, any time with Uncle Raymond was a "lesson in Aloha"

a hui hou Uncle

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  09:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha `Oe, Uncle Ray.

Although we only met a few times, Uncle Ray touched my heart through his music and infectious aloha.

I will never forget the one and only slack key lesson Uncle Ray gave me. On the phone. He opened the door just by talking to me. That is mana.

Without Uncle Ray Kane I would never have taken up slack key. Which means there wouldn't be that book I did with Keola, which means there wouldn't be an Aloha Camp, which means there might not be a Taropatch.net.

Which means we wouldn't be able to share our sadness and joy over this great man.

Funny how we find that everything really is connected. Music is so much more than notes.

"Take one, Uncle."

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  09:38:55 AM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with the Kāne ʻohana during the sad times ahead.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  09:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Heaven has been blessed this week, but those of us here on earth are feeling a terrible sense of loss. Raymond Kane. The name alone speaks volumes. We should also know him by his middle name "Kaleoalohapoina'oleohelemanu".......The voice of love that comes and goes like a bird, and will never be forgotten.

What a sad week it has been.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
Aloha Uncle Ray. You were an inspiration for me and countless others through your beautiful music. I know Heaven is a better place now that you are there.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Uncle Raymond and mahalo nui loa for making the world a better place through your music and aloha. Aunty, my thoughts and prayer are with you and your ohana.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Ray Kane had a rock solid sense of rhythm. Simply amazing. We'll all miss him.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile
That sense of rhythm gave Uncle Ray's playing an elegant, stately quality. Wai maka.
Paul
Edit: Always with the spelling pilikia. Gotta learn to proofread.

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 02/28/2008 3:34:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Uncle Ray,
I will always treasure your infectious laugh and whee ha! I will cry a little when I put in the DVD to watch you play. To hear you and Elodia sing "Ke Kali Nei" will bring tears of joy for a love so deep and a talent so wide.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  4:12:02 PM  Show Profile
I learned slack key first, in 1974. Then, when in Hawaii in 1977, I bought Uncle Ray's "Black" album and Uncle Leonard's "Red" album. I just about wore them out. I met Uncle Ray when he came to Seattle. He had ohana here and friends in the Hawaiian community. What a smile! I remember him telling the kids in the audience, "No smoke! Otherwise you end up like me wit' oxygen." To live life so that you will be sorely missed is a testament to one's character and principles.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000