Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha `oe Raymond Kane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  4:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
"Nalohia ka haku o Kiho'alu i ka lani i ke alo o Ke Akua."

I was celebrating last night at the Napili Kai resort with Ledward Kaapana, George Kahumoku, my cousin Owana Salazar, Keoki Kahumoku for our recent Grammy win when I was told the news this morning, before leaving for Honolulu on my flight, of the passing of Uncle Raymond Kane. I again am deeply saddened. Twice in a week I've been hit with great sorrow. Another Kupuna has been taken from us and has now joined the heavenly circle of Hawaiian musicians already there.

I now know how mortal we all are. I'm seeing and reliving the passing of our delicate treasures who have shared their aloha, knowledge, and humor with their unselfish lives here on earth. When we play the music they loved, let us honor them in our memories so that they become the beacon of light in our everyday lives.

Aloha Ke Akua,
Rev. Dennis Kamakahi

Edited by - naukilo on 02/28/2008 4:43:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
This has been truly a sad week with the passing of Aunty Genoa and now Uncle Raymond Kane. I know that there are both in Heaven making music with the rest of the Hawaiian musicians who passed on. Aloha 'oe Uncle Raymond.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I met Uncle Ray when he came to Seattle. He had ohana here and friends in the Hawaiian community.
Still does - a daughter in Tacoma ... and countless friends, including my kumu hula.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  9:12:05 PM  Show Profile
May Ray always inspire us.

"Play the best that you can, and share what you know."

Life is short.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  04:36:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I met Uncle Ray when he came to Seattle. He had ohana here and friends in the Hawaiian community.
Still does - a daughter in Tacoma ... and countless friends, including my kumu hula.

Close! Faith lives here in Lacey. Unless there's another one in Tacoma! She and her husband were gracious enough to sing and play at our grandson's memorial service when he passed away last June. Though I had seen Ninyo play many times before, that day he brought a beautiful guitar that I had never seen. He said that Ray gave it to him and he only used it on very special occasions.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 02/29/2008 06:17:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  05:42:19 AM  Show Profile
Both of the Honolulu papers have extended obituary articles in today's editions:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/OBITS01/802290364/1187/OBITS01
http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/29/news/story02.html

Honolulu Advertiser article states:
Kane is survived by his wife, Elodia; sons Dennis and Michael; daughters Joann Kailiwa'i, Raynette Moana Arakaki, Faith Kane and Ninyo Estores; sister Aileen Perry; brothers Abraham Panoke and Kenneth Panoke; 20 grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren, two great-great grandchildren.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
Another passing into the heavens so quickly. I used to watch Ray perform at Leeward Community College when I was a student there and I would take to Elodia from the side of the stage, I was always in between classes when they came and I never got a chance to actually talk with Ray. Ray played for the youth as often as he could and he appeared often at LCC. I feel fortunate to have had those moments however brief in their presence.

I am reflecting and meditating on both performers today.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
What a man. The interview with Elodia brought tear to my eyes. May God bless him and his surviving family.
Go to Top of Page

kawikasurf
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Send kawikasurf a Yahoo! Message
For a thoroughly delightful experience, if you have never seen it (and even if you have), treat yourself to Uncle Raymond's warm and lyrical explanation of the origins of Ki Ho`alu on the DVD (or older VHS version) "Hawaiian Rainbow," made in 1987. The DVD also features Raymond Kane musical renditions, with vocals, too, including a beautiful duet with Elodia Kane: "Ke Kali Nei Au" (Hawaiian Wedding Song.) What an extraordinary talent - and a kind and generous soul.

Edited by - kawikasurf on 02/29/2008 07:22:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
Last saturday I was able to see Ozzie and we talked extensively about Ray and Punahele. I was really excited about being able to learn and play the piece and the music Ray wrote brought a sense of knowing the man as his writing reached out to touch.

When Ozzie and I talked of Ray and Punahele, I advised him that his song told me he was a man of kindness and wit and a bit of a rascal. There is something in th epiece that just ssems to bring a profound sense of love and happiness.

Ozzie emailed me to advise of his passing and then today to read his story and then I realized it was like Punahele was what he was, a spirited and kind man.

I am very sorry I never was able to see him play in person or to get to shake his hand and talk a bit.

Not knowing him at all, I feel a profound sense of loss.

Aloha Ray Kane

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  09:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

Close! Faith lives here in Lacey. Unless there's another one in Tacoma!
Not sure, John - Tacoma's what Aunty Manu told me. She may well have meant Faith in Lacey. Thanks for the clarification (and the story).
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile
...this is too much, so sad, I am truly sad to the point of tears. I will deeply miss uncle, and the times we shared, the music we played and all the laughter, the stories, and not to mention the warm aloha from Elodia at their home.
Your music, your memory,will always be in my guitar, and in my heart.
I Love you uncle, I will miss you terribly.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  10:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Uncle Raymond started me on my slack key journey; on the radio in 1997, with Dennis K. and Ledward K.
Their beautiful music and relaxed playing and speaking won my heart and mind.
I am forever in his debt.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
I often present "Hawaiian Rainbow" to my various social science classes and the students, none of whom know anything about Hawaiian music and very little about Hawai'i, and they always comment on Raymond's explanation of the development of slack key and his playing in the video. It's one of the great examples of aloha available to the general public.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  9:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
I am currently deployed in the Philippines and just heard. The picture I have of Ray and I together at a workshop is one I will always treasure.

His singing voice caused my very soul to reverberate in harmonic sympathy. Something you truly had to be in the same room with him to appreciate.

Aloha, Ray.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000