Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha `oe Raymond Kane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sandman

I often present "Hawaiian Rainbow" to my various social science classes and the students, none of whom know anything about Hawaiian music and very little about Hawai'i, and they always comment on Raymond's explanation of the development of slack key and his playing in the video. It's one of the great examples of aloha available to the general public.

Sandy

Thumbs & I watched "Hawaiian Rainbow" last night after pickin' for a while - it is fantastic. Of course, I love to watch Billy Hew Lin playing with Auntie Genoa. The great ones give me ideas about how to play a tune ("How'd Ya Do") every time I watch or hear them. We'd been working on "How'd Ya Do", which gave us the idea of watching again. It, along with the Sons Of Hawaii DVD are, indeed, a great introduction to the music of Hawaii.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  11:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I love the part in "That's Slack Key" DVD where Uncle Ray is dancing the Hula to Led's playing "I Kona" at the first Big Island Slack Key Festival in 1990. It is a real gem.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 03/02/2008 4:36:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  11:24:16 AM  Show Profile
I like where he is chowing down on the poi over there with George Kahumoku and Diana Aki and her bruddah.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/01/2008 5:19:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  01:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Mahalo, Uncle Raymond for taking the time to share with the world, your love of Hawaiian Music. I remember that day at Puʻuhonua O Honaunau..filming "Thatʻs Slack Key!". My cousin Brah Hose, who passed aways a few years ago was on that film, along wit dad and auntie di. My first slack key concert at the King Kam Hotel...Uncle Raymond gave me my first real lesson in music performance.."when you get up dea to perform, give it your best! remember you are there for the people...not the otta way around.. and boy..no ukulele solo ova my slack-key!"

Because of Uncle Raymond, I was given my first opportunity to travel the country and learn from the masterʻs about traveling and the tolls of the music business. He encouraged us to teach slack-key before it got lost. He shared his stories to encourage us and many times to teach us about the old days and how it use to be and to recognize things that have changed so much. Last night Jeff Petersen and I performed together in Volcano and did some songs that Uncle Ray made famous- Punahele & Paoa liko ka lehua. Today ,also at the Queens court in Waikoloa myself and Daniel Toft did songs to honor both Uncle Raymond Kane and Aunty Genoa Keawe at the ukulele festival. The crowd really knew the songs that they made famous. It was truly a blessing.

My heart goes out to Aunty Elodia as I cannot even to begin to imagine about such a loss. ALoha ke Akua and now that Uncle is gone here physically, I believe he is now with God where true Aloha resides and some of his greatest slack key works are yet to be created. We love you Uncle Ray & Aunty Elodia and the Kane ʻOhana.

Keoki Kaliko Kahumoku
The Kahumoku ʻOhana
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
In 1994, Shirley and I saw Ray and his wife play on a cold evening in Boulder, Colorado. The next spring, we packed up a few belongings in orange boxes (shipped by slow boat), and flew to our new home in Kona. We did not know what we were going to do, or where we would stay. It was a leap of faith.

The week that we arrived, Shirley noticed that there was going to be a slack key concert at the King Kamehameha Hotel. We arrived an hour and a half early. I guess we didn't know anyone, and we were looking forward to hearing Hawaiian music. The only other people in the King Kamehameha concert area were Ray and his wife. We introduced ourselves, and Ray's wife immediately brought us each a plate of ono Hawaiian grinds.

They sat and talked to us until the show started. Within a year I had begun learning to play the Hawaiian steel guitar. I look back at that meeting as a pivotal moment in my life.

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  09:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Uncle Ray.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Ray with our own slack key pete (Pete Santilla).

Appologies to Jiro (LONGBOARDER) for borrowing the photo from his website http://www.slack-key.com.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  3:40:02 PM  Show Profile
I just read the news of Ray Kane's passing. What a tremendous loss. Ray Kane was the first slack key player that I ever heard and the inspiration for me to learn how to play slack key. I never had the honor of seeing him perform live or to meet him, but only knew him from his music and from what I read about him. I am thankful to Ray Kane for his inspiration and will always regret that I did not get to meet him. Uncle Ray, everyone's gonna' miss you. Aloha!

My condolences to Elodia Kane and the Kane family.

All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  7:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Mr. Admin,

I'll be forever thankful that you and your lovely now wife invited me to join you at the Waikiki Slack Key Festival after Keola's Camp in 2001. (Was it 2001?) I remember changing my flights etc., wondering if it would all work out and if it would be worth it. Well, that was the one and only time I got to see Uncle Ray perform, wheelchair, oxygen tank and all. And there was Auntie Elodia, singing with him the Hawaiian Wedding Song. Oh my, I was in heaven. And those two little grandsons of theirs running around the stage and hiding behind his legs while they were playing.

Then there was your family-in-law with the two huge coolers, one for food and one for drink. I will never forget that lovely evening and your gracious hospitality. Kapiolani Paka as I've never seen it before...

There are some moments in life that hold such significance that our brain will not let us forget and our heart will not let go.

Aloha no, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 03/06/2008 7:33:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  7:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Mr. Admin,

I'll be forever thankful that you and your lovely now wife invited me to join you at the Waikiki Slack Key Festival after Keola's Camp in 2001. (Was it 2001?)
Hi Ms. Julie,

Time flies, doesn't it? It was 2001, but I remember it like yesterday. What a great day of music.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  06:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
What loss. Ray is why I started slack key, His beatful playing and kind soul have been an inspiration. Andy, could you collect this thread and send a copy to Elodia when it settles down?

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  3:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
I meant to type "beautiful playing" (not "beatful") but actually my mistake makes it better.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  5:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Hey, Ray was beatful, too. Just try to make your thumb do that.

Gonna miss him.
Go to Top of Page

Kika Kahu
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  05:18:35 AM  Show Profile
With my beautiful wife Carol and Island friends we attended the Hapa Concert in Olympia Washington yesterday evening. Charles sadly announced Uncle Ray's passing. There were audible gasps. My heart sank briefly but I know Uncle was suffering. He's now resting with friends and family. Mo betta! I took up slack four years ago and always take Uncles advice to heart, "play it the way you feel, straight from the heart."

We were fortunate to meet Faith (Ray's daughter), her husband Nino and their beautiful children one evening at the Kona cafe. Nino played slack and they sang a duet. There is amazing talent everywhere but they were sooooo special. Faith has a tremendous voice and spirit. Our hearts go out to her and the entire Kane family.

The wheel of life goes on. Mahalo Uncle for your music and spirit. It lives in many hearts.

Aloha,

Larry
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile
I did not have the pleasure of knowing Ray, and I have never seen him in person. But I mourn his passing with this TP ohana and send aloha to his immediate ohana. Many, many of us loved him from afar. Mahalo, Ray Kane...Mahalo.

Lona
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  01:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Raymond was the reason I started playing slack key. His style was as smooth, pure, so sweet. Nothing like it. He and Elodia have been so kind to me, really sharing themselves, their home, hospitality, aloha. He even had me play with him at the Slack Key Festival, and I was so honored. They embody the spirit of aloha and their example is something I'm lucky to have. -Doug

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000