Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 The Case of the Disappearing Bridge Pins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  2:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Herb. I will try contacting Dennis Lake. And I see that you recently joined the Taropatch, so welcome to the forum! I guess you're in Poulsbo......not too far from Olympia where I am!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  05:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Baritone and Javeiro, you were both at the Keola Beamer/John Keawe concert in Bremerton last year. We should've introduced you guys at the time!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  12:15:29 PM  Show Profile
E herb about time you join in. I nevah see you in West Seattle. What you only go Ballard? If so I see you this next one.
Oh and gangy that baritone is sweet.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 04/17/2008 12:16:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  3:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lori......I never know whether to call you Momi or Lori, but I figure I should call you by your real name so the next time I see you I don't confuse myself and use the wrong one! When I looked at Herb's photo on his profile, I thought that he looked familiar. But maybe I saw him there that night.

Herb: I sent Dennis an email but haven't had a response yet.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 04/17/2008 3:11:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  4:55:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

Thanks, Lori......I never know whether to call you Momi or Lori, but I figure I should call you by your real name so the next time I see you I don't confuse myself and use the wrong one!
Eh Noeau, wasn't it you who told me her real name was Momi Lomilomi?
quote:
When I looked at Herb's photo on his profile, I thought that he looked familiar.
Real kolohe looking buggah yeah? That's only because he is.

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  9:00:37 PM  Show Profile
E Ed no tell her dat. She going konk me one upside da head.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  05:34:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

E Ed no tell her dat. She going konk me one upside da head.

No worry - I know who causing trouble today! Da one with all da girigiris, not da one with da ponytail.

(Sorry John - we'll stop hijacking your post and will wait patiently to see what Mr. Lake tells you.)

Edited by - Momi on 04/18/2008 05:35:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:00:45 AM  Show Profile
No worry chicken curry......you guys (and Lori/Momi too) can hijack whenever you like! I did get the following reply this morning from Dennis:

John - not such an easy question, first, depending on the age, it might have had different size bridge pins to start, and of course it could have been altered. The first thing to try is to find a store that carries Martin bridge pins, the taper is different than most Chinese. They come as a set in a plastic box. Try one and if it fits your are all set. If not I'd suggest finding a really good repair person who will take the time to work this out. I use wooden pins, but it may well be that a set must be fit. It really shouldn't be hard for an experience repairman.
Good luck, aloha, Dennis

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:05:32 AM  Show Profile
Well, John, if you come up to Seattle to get your replacement pins, let us know when, and maybe we can set up a kanikapila.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:34:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

Well, John, if you come up to Seattle to get your replacement pins, let us know when, and maybe we can set up a kanikapila.

Thanks for the invitation, Lori. I'm definitely due for a trip to the "Big City". I have to admit that in the nearly six years we've been here, I've been to Seattle (not counting the airport) maybe a dozen (?) times....usually when someone from Hawaii comes to visit and wants to see the city, or a concert here and there. Maybe I'll try calling all the music stores there. I've already checked every store here to no avail.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  7:41:10 PM  Show Profile
John: hope you can work out your "peg" Pilikia.

Dennis Lake not only won good guy but he make pretty good stuffs. I not expert but back in 53 my Uncle show me how for make ukulele wooden tuner-keys out of Guava wood for Martin soprano ukulele, cos was free and soft-like wood. Also, use Guava fo the bridge pegs for uncle's '37 Martin D18 (1 of 10 koa back & sides w/ spruce top special ordered by da Honolulu Music Store, specifially for 10 guys who trolled the Moana & Royal Hawaiian hotels). Martin was no beeeg deal and dime-a-dozen, den. Cos was this was da wun'na fo da mass entertainers. Dass wat my cousin guys wen use fo play Waikiki, Kodak show, and Kona Inn, ly dat. Anyway, da trick for paa da keys &/or pegs is to groove em. Finally, no shame use plastic or different colors, like from toothbrush handles. Gran ball bair'ng anybody can spaak your gitar from across da room (good way fo throwoff da steala robba).
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  04:30:37 AM  Show Profile
John, when in Seattle, you should also check The Folkstore in the U-District on Roosevelt. It's a great place just to visit.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  04:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, Herb. I actually fixed it myself for now. I just took one of the extra guitar bridge pins that I had on hand and sanded it down by hand until it fit like the rest. The color is the same (black) but round head is slightly larger than the ukulele bridge pins but it's not really noticeable. It'll do until I can find a matching set that fits.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  04:33:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

John, when in Seattle, you should also check The Folkstore in the U-District on Roosevelt. It's a great place just to visit.

Thanks, Kory. I will put that on my list of places to visit!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  05:03:13 AM  Show Profile
I cannot believe the infamous missing bridge pin has not yet made an appearance. It must be in a parallel dimension.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000