Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 March giveaway Hawaiian Rainbow VHS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  7:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

wdf has donated a VHS copy of Hawaiian Rainbow in celebration of Uncle Ray's life. As I recall, there is some great footage of Uncle Ray performing in this video.

Anyone who posts this month will qualify for the random drawing. Posting under this topic specifically related to Uncle Ray (your personal story, song, etc.) will get you 2 entries instead of 1. Mahalo Dusty! Mahalo Uncle Ray!

Andy

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  7:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Ok, that is something I would really enjoy! Count me in.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  12:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Andy - we already have the DVD, so do not include us in the drawing, but I do want to share a story. (Go figure, right?)

My story concerns all those who Uncle Raymond has taught. He truly cared for the music and wanted so much to keep it alive. You can feel his legacy in his haumana. Not only can you easily tell who were taught by him, because they have truly developed the nahenahe playing, but you can feel the aloha in his students, as well. Doug Fitch, Ray Sowders, Patrick Landeza are three that I know of who not only are fantastic guitar players, but fantastic people on the inside as well. I like to think that Uncle Raymond shared the knowledge of guitar playing, but more importantly shared the aloha.

Mahalo nui loa, Uncle Raymond.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/07/2008 12:53:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy:

I would like to join the hopefuls for this month - it would be wonderful to see more of Uncle Raymond's work. I never met him, but have been warmed by the stories I've heard from those who did - Patrick Landeza, George kahumoku, and many others, and warmed by just listening to his music and stately style.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  1:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
aloha, i would like to be entered in the giveaway.the earliest recollection I have of uncle ray was when he taught slack key at the Hawaiian Music Academy at St. Louis School back in the 70's. He'd pull up in his taxi cab, I believe he drove back then, take out his guitar and start teaching. Unfortunately, I was not one of his students back then. I wished I'd had the opportunity to study, but alas. Mahalo uncle for all your music!
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  2:15:33 PM  Show Profile
Man, I sure wouldn't mind getting this one! Uncle Ray has always been one of my personal favorites!

Mahalo to wdf and Andy!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  8:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Throwing my name into the hat. I am fortunate to be learning Uncle Ray's Punahele from a talented slack key player who opened the last Slack Key Festival on the Big Island: Nick Borho.

I've heard great stories about Uncle Ray from Makana. He told of Uncle Ray throwing an expensive guitar into the fireplace when a student did not play to his expectations. Then he gave the student a practice guitar. A happy ending: Uncle Ray presented that student with a valuable guitar after said student reached a level. Uncle was very strict on the alternating thumb. I'm paraphrasing from memory here, hope I have the gist of Makana's words.

Aloha,
Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  5:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I am hoping to see this video whether or not I am chosen to receive this gift. Thanks for the donation wdf!

Ozzie presented a workshop here in SoCal with two pieces of Raymonds word for us to learn. I am blessed to have been there.

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  9:08:03 PM  Show Profile
I just watched the DVD with Slipry1 last week. I had seen it before. Not enough DVDs like that one!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
One of the first slack key pieces I learned was Uncle Ray's version of Pua Sadinia. Many years ago I asked him about performing and teaching it; he said, "Sure, but if you record my version you gotta give me credit!"

I decided to teach his version later this month in Seattle, so yesterday I took a hard listen to that first Dancing Cat CD for the first time in a while. Wow! Talk about syncopation, slurs and slipper little slides!!!

After playing this song for 15 years, I'm still trying to get it right! I did write out a couple of measures "right off the record." Sorry, it's just impossible to read. So I made it easier for the class.

He's the best.

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  1:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Well my hat is now in the ring. Unfortunately I donʻt have any direct experience with Ray Kane. I do know that he has probably indirectly influenced almost everything I do when I play music. One cannot just play slack key without thinking of uncle. He was on the Leonard Kwan album that i tried so hard to emulate eons ago. Like Mark I still cannot produce what i hear on those recordings to a tee. I hear so many notes on some passages of some songs that two people couldnʻt humanly play. And these recordings were made in the earlier days of recording in Hawaiʻi which was rather primitive in the sixties. So what you hear is what was played.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 03/13/2008 2:51:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  2:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Kalua Kika a rare delicacy on the leeward coast.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  2:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Guavasunrise: "Hmm. Waianae, located on the hot and arid leeward coast, would be the last place I would expect to find a home with a fireplace. Maybe it was Uncle Ray's hibachi? "

maybe Fran Guidry can answer this one, I believe Fran had a lesson at the Kane's home?

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  5:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Count me in. Ray Kane is why I am doing slack key. His album Punahele blew me away. The deeper you go the more you appreciate his playing. I still treasure the only contact I had with Ray, a reply to a letter I wrote thanking him. It came almost a year after I wrote but it came with excellent advice: keep practicing and enjoy.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile
I would like to win a video of Ray too.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  12:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I may not play slack key but I sure do love to listen and watch others play so count me in too!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000