Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Price of Gas - Wow Maui rocks!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  04:39:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
Oddly I noticed where I live in the NW has the same price of gas as Oahu!! Wow supposed to be cheaper here but we must have pissed someone off.
I felt better when I saw in the Star Bulletin that $4 is old news in Maui and they are closer to $5. "On the neighbor islands, $4 gas is old news. The average price ranged from $4.12 in Hilo to $4.45 in Wailuku, both record highs."
Eh Poi Dog you know walking is really good for you!
Who has the cheapest gas here?
Yes I know by tomorrow all the prices will be higher but you gotta try to get an idea.

hapuna
Seattle

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  07:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha from Kaua`i!

We just did our weekly trip-to-town trek yesterday (from north shore, to Lihu`e) -- regular gas in Kilauea/Kapa`a/Lihu`e was $4.22, Costco was $4.17...and <gasp> Princeville Chevron was $4.42.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  09:26:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

I felt better when I saw in the Star Bulletin that $4 is old news in Maui and they are closer to $5. "On the neighbor islands, $4 gas is old news. The average price ranged from $4.12 in Hilo to $4.45 in Wailuku, both record highs."
Eh Poi Dog you know walking is really good for you!

My pick-up truck ste semi-retired, cuz I ste retired too and gas take kinda one big bite out of my pension. Plus, my son wen huli my jeep wen he wen take 'em fo go brand cattle down his friens ranch. Da boys nevah pau fix 'em yet. Since I get da chicken wing gizmo on my rite arm, I no can drive da wife Honda...too small. So, if I gotta go someplace, I make arrangements. Since my son wen eff-up my jeep, I no feel bad calling him fo one ride someplace. Aroun da hood I can walk. Lucky Foodland ste kinda close an I can walk. But get one big hill. Down not too bad, but up. Piula ma `opa`opa.

Oni ting, wen I walk aroun kinda plenty, but da rite arm gizmo get swetty and DEN I ste in trouble, cuz come itchy and hauna and I gotta air 'em out! Even da doc said I can oni play ukulele fo liddle bit at a time. Hoo...about 20 minutes and den I gotta rest da right arm! Da shoulda ste pounding! I tol da doc..."Eh doc, playing one uke, az good therapy, right?" He said, "Sort of." I said, "Good, write me one prescription fo one guitar, so I can heal-up mo bettah den befo!" Dis week goin be challenging!

Brah...Lucky you no live on Lana`i! Gas will be over 5 bucks by nex week.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 06/01/2008 09:34:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  10:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
What exactly happened to da arm??? You neva even go reunion yet!!!!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapuna

What exactly happened to da arm??? You neva even go reunion yet!!!!!

Dis is what I had...I wen copy um from da doktah's pepa. “Vertical bucket-handle tear of the superior labrum, which extends into biceps (intrasubstance tear); severe tear - rotator cuff; unusual curveture of the right acromion (one bone stay crooked) to be repaired via abridement (he wen use the angle grindah, bro). Hurt like a sumbitch...Ste fix't, but I still gotta wea one gizmo mos of da time and my arm no can go too high yet.

Brudda Duke...He know da rest of da story! About how uuuhhh...unnatural some tings are wen you gotta use da left hand fo do da right han duties. Hehe...Jokingly, I wen tell Dah-Leen if she would help me out. She said, "Of course dahling...I do anyting fo you!" I no tink she would go dat fah, dough You no her...she ste kinda like...I no like say dense, but?

Anywayz...good ting I not one hoss...bum-by dey shoot me an get it ovah wit. Goin be challenging dis week. But I goin tuff-em-out!

BTW...Golf iz OUT! But I goin annoy da whole Olomana Golf Course cuz I going have da pu with me! You remembah da pu?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 06/01/2008 11:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  1:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
OK I get dat you hurt your arm but how????? You strumming too hard with da right or what? Born that way and only now get problem?
Da pu doesn't ring a bell. You goin take Supaferi or what?

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  2:49:05 PM  Show Profile
CT gas prices:

$4.19 - $4.29 and rising about .05-.10 per week. Many older gas pumps can't handle anything over $4.00, so they selling half gallons. In a month, unless somebody shoot somebody, gas will be over $5.00 here.

We don't much care about gas, though. We care about heating oil, which is more expensive - like diesel. 5x275 gals/yr. people gonna die, truly.

Many frying fat robberies at fast food places - so-called biodiesel, also, need locking gas caps, as in the `70s.

Love, just love, W.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  4:26:43 PM  Show Profile
"Love, just love, W."

Oh, ya!

Here in Michigan, supposed to be cheap. Jacked it up over Memorial Day to $4.19. After the weekend it fell back to $3.98, but today was $4.04

The prices here change sometimes twice a day. One station might be as much as 20 cents cheaper than another; then another time the expensive one will be cheaper. Hard to figure it out, but there are a few that stay within a few cents of the lowest price. Sometimes when in doubt I just go to the station that is crowded; that always seems to work.

I remember on the Big Island in Waimea the two stations on the main intersection used to have "gas wars". Here is how a Hawaiian gas war works: The guy on one side sees the other guy is charging (those days) $2.49. He thinks "all the traffic on my side, I'm going to charge $2.53". The guy across the street, he thinks "da buggah getting $2.53 an plenny busy, I like try $2.59". The first guy sees him getting $2.59, and thinks "if he can get $2.59, I should be able to get $2.65". And so it goes, until in a couple days gas in Waimea is $2.89 when it is still $2.49 fifteen miles down the road in Honokaa.

One time the T-H did a story on how a station in Kona had the highest prices in the nation. They asked the owner "why is gas so much higher here than in Honolulu?". He said there were three reasons- first, his rent in the prime Kona locaton was very high. Second, it costs a lot to ship gas from the refinery in Honolulu. And finally, he said that in a small town you don't sell much fuel so your markup has to be higher.

Next the reporter went to the refinery in Honolulu and asked them about it. They said they didn't know about rents in Kona, but couldn't imagine that they would be more than rents in downtown Honolulu. They said transportation to Kona cost two cents a gallon more than sending it to downtown Honolulu. And as to volume, it turned out that the Kona station sold more gasoline than any other station in the state!

Bottom line- you are being ripped off. Crude in Hawai'i comes from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, as does a substantial amount of the crude shipped to the west coast. Hawai'i is thousands of miles closer to the source; it should in fact have the CHEAPEST gas in the country.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile
I wish it was so cheap here! It's around $10 a gallon in the UK.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  10:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Trev, I know how high the petrol price are in th UK and France, 'cause we paid 'em.

BUT, remember how small and well organised the UK is. 2 hours flat from Heathrow to Blockley, Glos. 7 hrs. flat from the Wall to downtown London, including city traffic. 1 1/2 hrs flat London to Oxford. We never drove more than 30 mins. in the Cotswolds to get anywhere - including to Blenheim Palace or Hidcote Gardens. 45 mins flat from Montpellier airport to Perpignan near the Spanish border. Coastal Normandy to Beaune, Burgundy in 6 hrs. Beaune, Burgundy to Lauterbrunnen Switz. in 5+ hrs.

Folks around here in "small" CT drive/commute 1-2 hrs, 1 way, in heavy traffic, daily.

Not that your tax load on fuel is helpful, but, I'll bet 99% of UK/EU residents don't spend anywhere near what an average ordinary Amurrican spends just to survive and hold a job. Besides, your Gummints provide much better mass transit. We found out we could have taken a local bus from London to Blockely village. We were stunned. High speed trains from Toulouse to Paris, etc. In Switzerland, trains and Post "trucks" (you can ride with the mail), go places that goats find hard to go to.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/02/2008 10:45:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  01:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Reid! I'm glad you think it's well organised! It never seems that way to us! I agree that our mass transport is good, especially in London, but it's also expensive. It can cost about $5,000 a year for a commuter, and that's on a discounted 'season ticket'.

I understand about the vast distances Americans have to travel. My sister (who lived in the US for a while) once told me that she thought that the difference between Brits and Americans is that Americans think 50 years is a long time, and Brits think that 50 miles is a long way away!

It's not just the actual increase to the individual (although when it costs 20% more to fill the tank it is pretty significant to most people) but it's the haulage factor - everything costs more to transport, so all the other prices go up as well. Food, especially, is becoming a lot more expensive. I imagine it's exactly the same in the US.

Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  02:19:59 AM  Show Profile
The average that an item on a grocery store shelf has traveled in the US is 1600 miles (2650 kilometers in the real, metric world). In Hawai'i it is close to twice that. Our centralized distribution systems are extremely inefficent. Grocery prices are flying up as a result.

Of course, the "core inflation" rate ignores non-essentials like food and energy, so we can pretend the inflation rate is only 3-4% a year...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  02:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Trev, the food prices and everything else that moves (most things) are skyrocketing. I just bought a small thing (a Haws watering can for my bonsai - 2 lbs.) shipped from MI to me in CT. The lowest shipping cost was *actual* Fedex Ground (truck) cost, and the seller charged only $2 for packing. Shipping was about 1/3 total cost. They had a long paragraph on their web site describing the problem.

Here at home I shop for food and supplies at small mom and pop stores - usually 3 - 5 every Sat. I hate big outfits - high prices and lousy quality. BUT, in Stow-on-the-Wold (where else would Stow be? :-) there is a Tesco that has fantastic food at reasonable prices. Tesco, as you know, is the largest supermarket chain in the world. God bless 'em, they had *real* bread (not the gluey fructose laden stuff we get), especially the whole meal bread, their veggies were fresh and tasty, and from Tanzania, Kenya and Thailand, as well as various EU countries. I have never, ever tasted better duck pate - and I make my own. Conversely, when I made a special effort to buy from local farmers' markets in Glos., the veggies were stale and tasteless. Go figure. I was told that Waitrose is much better than Tesco, too. I will say that the local butchers had great meat, and made their own specialty sausages, and bought heritage breed lamb, pork and beef from local ranchers - all grazing animals. Also, there were trout farms all over the place - pond to plate in 3 hours. And netted out to $6/lb, even after currency exchange. You would pay double that here and get old, dried out, tasteless fish.

There must be economies of scale for Tesco and maybe they have their own plane fleet. Who knows. I do know, that since oil is denominated in $$$ you are getting a 2x break on the fuel cost. And, I know that you can eat and drink cheaper and better in UK and EU than here. And you don't have cubical tomato objects like we do :-0.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/03/2008 02:33:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  07:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
Reid I have to say it. Something is wrong when "duck pate" comes up on taropatch!!!! ;-)

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  08:11:53 AM  Show Profile
Hapuna, duck pate is only Spam made out of duck. Good with shoyu and nori, too. A`ole pilikia.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  10:35:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
ypochris said:

The average that an item on a grocery store shelf has traveled in the US is 1600 miles (2650 kilometers in the real, metric world). In Hawai'i it is close to twice that. Our centralized distribution systems are extremely inefficent. Grocery prices are flying up as a result.

Right you are, Chris, but I wonder if there isn't an added factor of "let's charge whatever we can get away with" involved in some of the pricing.

I flew to Honolulu on May 2nd and filled up in my neighborhood (San Francisco) on the way to the airport for $4.09 a gallon. All over Honolulu on the same day the price was $3.73.

How do petroleum products get cheaper by being transported a couple of thousand miles across the Pacific?

Edited by - mike2jb on 06/03/2008 10:39:25 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000