Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Price of Gas - Wow Maui rocks!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  11:26:13 AM  Show Profile
"How do petroleum products get cheaper by being transported a couple of thousand miles across the Pacific?"

I already when ansah dat one, jes above on da tred:

"Crude in Hawai'i comes from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, as does a substantial amount of the crude shipped to the west coast. Hawai'i is thousands of miles closer to the source; it should in fact have the CHEAPEST gas in the country."
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  11:51:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
ypochris said:

I already when ansah dat one, jes above on da tred:

"Crude in Hawai'i comes from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei, as does a substantial amount of the crude shipped to the west coast. Hawai'i is thousands of miles closer to the source; it should in fact have the CHEAPEST gas in the country."

Oops. Didn't read.

Now if can get Costco and Safeway go check in Brunei if they got some cornflakes or shoes or TV's to sell ... cost problem solved!
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  1:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria, the station across the street from your old haunt at Highway 1 and Bay/Porter had regular 87 octane for $4.29 this weekend!

You doin' good on the Island!

Cheers,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  6:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Gas prices in Illinois are the highest in the country. That's what we've been told on the news. It was $4.13 at the cheapest station in my area and all the poor folks that have diesel, it's almost $5 a gallon. When I filled up on May 20 in Wisconsin, gas was $3.74 a gallon so in only a few weeks' time, it's gone up almost 40 cents a gallon.

And what kills us is the taxes. I think that 30 cents a gallon is all taxes. If they'd cut out the taxes we're paying, it would still be too high but at least a bit better. I'm not driving as far as I used to because I can't afford to.

My congressman did a small town meeting last weekend and the biggest gripe was the high cost of gas. It's a major problem.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Edited by - LovinLK on 06/03/2008 6:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  02:55:38 AM  Show Profile
From NYT this morning:
[Total cost of ownership over 5 yrs, assuming 15K miles/yr and $4/gal gas]

"While the F-250 costs $100,000 and a fully loaded F-150 — the better-known, smaller Ford pickup — costs about $70,000, a Ford Focus still costs less than $40,000 over five years. A Honda Civic Hybrid does, too. A Toyota Prius costs only a little more. A Subaru Outback station wagon runs $50,000 or so.

To put this in perspective, the difference between a Focus and an F-250 over five years is $60,000. The annual pretax income of a typical family in this country is also about $60,000. So choosing a F-250 over a Focus is like volunteering for a 20 percent pay cut. The relative resale values might cushion the blow a little, but not much."

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile
I drive a gas guzzler. I have a Ford Freestyle. It is the kind of vehicle I enjoy. It sits high, provides great visibility and a great feeling of security. Gas costs are high, but, I'm not complaining. a. It won't do any good, only get the ulcer juices flowing. b. Not a darn thing I can do about it, since I choose not to have a small car. I gotta fit me and Paul in the same vehicle sometimes and vacations are much more pleasant with room in the car. 3. I pay the gas prices and drive the same amount that I would regardless of gas prices. Luckily, since I retired, I am using a week fraction of the gas I used to use. Mostly only fill the tank every 3 weeks or so. Paul drives a Chevy truck. His choice, too, to have the vehicle sit higher and have plenty room to accommodate this kane nui.

The thing to compain about, I agree, is the cost of goods that must be transported. I think maybe the post office should not deliver snail mail every day. Mybe every other day. Most people take care of urgent stuff by e-mail or fax. Gov't checks are direct deposit, so you do not have to worry about your pension check being physically mailed.

Best way to bring any prices down is just not to purchase the product. When demand goes down, so will price.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by LovinLK

Gas prices in Illinois are the highest in the country. That's what we've been told on the news. It was $4.13 at the cheapest station in my area

$4.30 a gallon when I filled up in Southern California this morning (and it has been for at least a week), so the news has been lying to you. Unless they meant "county" instead of "country"!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/04/2008 08:07:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000