Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Rubbah Slippahs - say it ain't so
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

Manpachi Man! "You Da Man" coz you unda'stan! Da bestest wit rubbah slippah fo spr'ng is no need fight the float fo stay down. Can poke 2 - 3 kole befo come up. BUT! Most times, in Kapoho, I take one slippah in hand when I go down, coz I use da slippah wit da left hand fo brace on da rock when I try go poke in da cave/puka, ly dat. One time, I was searchin for kumu, had fo come up for ea, I quick-like-a-wink secure da slippah on da hinge-gun and boogey up. Dis way mo easy fo see da rig below and no need go dat extra 3 feet fo grab da rig. Just grab da slippah.

Us guyz wuz genuine-smart and inventors, den!
Herb

I ste read all yo pos's, an I no now dat I had it! Da stuff u tahk abou is oldah den me. I goddah call u Unko Herb, coz u one Kupuna. Anden I wen go tahk smahtazz wen ste piloot. I had it! Wot goes aroun comes aroun no? Wen I go home, some young buggah going smaht tahk to me. Buh I goin remembah u, make like u, an geev kind smile bak. See? U teech me a good teeng fo remembah! Yu point da way of a true kungfu mastah. Mahalos!

Buh adleese I ged lolo companeh -- Guava Man -- mah LOLO oldah braddah!! Haha! Wid heem aroun I no feel so bad!

Yea, I lern da rubbah sleepah from one Filipino guy in Pahoa, good divah. U ste tahk speeya 2-3 kole wen ste go up Kapoho sai? Az woz befo da volcano eh? Had good fisheeng gound, plenneh small tide pools. I woz bebeh yet. Buh I remembah some places. U too good, put da rubbah sleepah on da hinge gun. I neya did dat. Bud in da puka's had beeg kine anacondas too, az y ah no like steek mah head in da puka coz small keed time one spotted moray wen bite me. No woz hees fault. I woz 10 yrs old an woz tryeen fo get ulua bait, an my fadda let me chrai. Anden one oddah time moah old like 15 yrs old, nite-time, I go look in da puka, Kapoho sai, I spock shiny eye, I tot lobstah, bud wen I wen go close, woz one kauila in da puka. I back out real slow. I no da kauila coz wen I woz 11 I speeya one beeg one in da shallow watah. My faddah wen go make beegah speeya fo me so garans no come off an get bite. Insai da kauila mout ged plenneh needle teet(h). Az y I no fool aroun. Even rubbah sleepah not goin help.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/09/2008 6:30:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  8:17:06 PM  Show Profile
Manpachi & Ypo! You guyz godda tell your story; daz how da youngblood goin fine out, bout deez kine stuff. I was fortunate coz we had Kapoho Beach Lot before da Alaska guy wen come buy Antida's place and humbug all us on first & second street. Minahs!

Da trick was fo start speah high tide on Hilo side and ride da tide to the Kau side, rest liddle beet, then ride the tide back to the Hilo side with my friend, Makinodan (he had one leg; fo reel), NIGHT TIME. But, couple time I cheeken-out and stopped my house, half way between. Daz awright coz he old timer and akamai fo do deez kine. Besides, Richard Lyman stay waiting Mak's house fo eat wana, namako and balloon fish soup. Primo, too!

Anyway, we go wit flashlight mounted in the motorcycle tire-tube; carry spare flashlight, couple speahs (no tree prong), drinking water, pakini-in-da-tire-tube, wana iron (for wana but mostly fo namako), at least one ax-handle sling w/o hinge BUT fat surgical rubbah-tube, tire-sole tabi, and rubbah slippah. Da trick was fo use 7 foot long speah, coz wen you make the sling godda be like bow-&-arrow: right arm straight out and locked with left hand pulling the rubbah to touch da nose and da speah 90 degress to da axis of da body(godda make shuwa you not moving bumbye the speah go crooked) and get equal amount of steel in front of and behind the sling-gun. This 50-50 is necessary fo have one perfectly balanced speah in hand, i.e. so da front no go 'nose-heavy' or 'nose-light'. Which means you godda pick da correct size surgical tubing (I tink wuz #6). Also, with 7 feet daz, like' 3.5 feet in front fo poke in the hole. See: I like my speah go in the hole BEFORE my head go in. Protection! Nudda ting: wit 3.5 feet in front I can shoot, recock & shoot, den come up. I like no mo den 2 fish per breath coz hard fo see the spear-point afta two pan size kole stay on. Besides the hole get all messed up fo wen I come back wit da tide. Ho! kuka pyla turtle but speah not da way (dis was 1953-57). Besides, dass one nudda story, Guyz! Just like set-net or throw-net or aquaculture.

Go fo Broke!
Herb
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Da trick was fo use 7 foot long speah, coz wen you make the sling godda be like bow-&-arrow: right arm straight out and locked with left hand pulling the rubbah to touch da nose and da speah 90 degress to da axis of da body(godda make shuwa you not moving bumbye the speah go crooked) and get equal amount of steel in front of and behind the sling-gun.
Braddah Herb. I could jahs "see" exactly watchu was talking about. Aldo us guys ages is several years apaht, we bote used to use da same speeyah fishing technique.

Eh, talking about dat 7 foot speeyah brought back one funny memory from back in da early 70's. I wen go fly Kauai wit some friends and ended up buying one hinge gun ova deyah fo go spearing down Lawai side. When came time fo fly back home, I was driving da rental car towards da airport when I remembered dat I still had da speeyah inside da car and I neva like boddah wit taking dat long ting back on da plane wit me. So as I was driving along da main road I came to one place called Taylor Camp. You remembah dat place o wat? Was kinda famous back den. Was one hippie nudist camp on one beach dat was owned by Elizabeth Taylor's son. So anyway had planny hippies walking along da side of da road so I slowed down and asked one of dem long-haired dudes, "Hey man, how'd you like to have this spear so you can go and catch some fish!" Da buggah gave me one beeg smile and was all happy fo accept my gift. So I gave um to him anden drove to da airport small kine laughing to myself because I oni gave him da long speeyah by itself without da hinge gun attachment which I took home wit me, and I could jahs peetcha dat buggah running along da shoreline trying fo poke fish by hand like Tarzan.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Eddie. Eddie my love. I love you so, o, o, o.....

Dees, only one buggah like you, can do, o, o, o..... I suppose to be chow-down deena now. BUT! No can coz too much "Rubbah Slippah" laugh. Albeit, I remember dat Taylor beech.............

Herb

Edited by - Baritone on 07/15/2008 3:40:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Albeit, I remember dat Taylor beech.............
Speaking of Taylor Camp, somebody just made one movie about um. Try look.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  05:40:36 AM  Show Profile
This, I have to see. First off, the mother of my children started her Hawai'i days living at Taylor camp. Myself, I was living in Waimanu Valley at the time Taylor Camp was burned. Bobo "the Fish" swam in one day, followed (on foot) by her daughter- trying to figure out what to do about the fact that she was pregnant, perhaps with the very granddaughter in the film. Women were scarcer than hen's teeth in Waimanu at the time, and I made a bold but failed effort to get something going with the daughter while my friend wound up in bed with Bobo.

Anyway, although I never went, I have heard a lot about Taylor Camp, and it would be most interesting to see this other take on it...

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000